San Francisco, here I come!

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Omri
AFH

San Francisco, here I come!

Post by Omri » Thu May 02, 2013 5:13 pm

Hello everybody! I'm going to be in San Francisco from a conference from May 27-30, and possibly a day or two longer on one end or the other. Since there are so many AFH people from the Bay Area, I was thinking when I'm not conferencing, I could meet some of you guys (or at the very least, you could tell me some cool places to go/things to do/beers to try in the area). Since "See all 30 Major League Ballparks" is on my bucket list, Tuesday (Giants @ A's) and Wednesday (A's @ Giants) nights I'm busy (unless there are any baseball fans), but I should probably be there Monday night, and maybe more.

I'll post back once I know more about my schedule/when my flights are (which should be soon).

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Re: San Francisco, here I come!

Post by slaphappy snark » Thu May 02, 2013 5:48 pm

I don't know how many SF-area AFH(k)ers are still logging in much or reading this forum (maybe we'll learn about new ones from this!), and I know that timing is tough for me and Stu, but we can see what works out as you figure out your trips plans. Do you know where in SF you'll be staying?
I haven't been to a baseball game since learning about this, so I can't vouch personally, but there is a beer bar (Public House) that is sneakily attached to the Giants ballpark internally, so you can get some really solid beers while you're at that game. A's park is a different story. :)
Despite having lived in the Bay Area for over 8 years, I'm sort of a homebody and mostly know my local places, none of which are in SF (I've now lived north, south and east but not in the city), but I can definitely try to help you out on that front, too.

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Thu May 02, 2013 6:18 pm

I'm going to try to work things out so that my wife can fly in Thursday and we can stay until Sunday, and I'll just pay for the extra hotel nights.

The conference is at the Hilton downtown, but I'm not 100% sure I'll be staying there. I'm talking to our company's travel agent on the phone tomorrow, so we'll see.

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Sun May 05, 2013 10:34 pm

I haven't lived there in close to 20 years(!), and all of that was in Berkeley/Oakland. That said, if you are up for a BART ride across the Bay, the best Chicago-style pizza I've ever had is at a place called Zachary's. There are two locations, one in Rockridge (a nice part of Oakland just south of Berkeley), and the other in north Berkeley.
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

Omri
AFH

Post by Omri » Sat May 11, 2013 11:19 am

Alright, it sounds like I'll just be there Monday (arriving at around 9 PM, so no time then) through Friday morning (flight leaves at 6:40 AM, so no time there either). Since I'm going to baseball games Tuesday and Wednesday nights, Thursday night is the only night free (again, unless someone wants to go to the game with me). I realize that's a weekday and is really tight, and the fact that I'll be downtown (with no rental car) makes it difficult, so I probably won't get the chance to see anyone. In the off-chance that that's not the case, let me know!

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 am

That perfectly works out to a time when Stu and I will each be out of town on business. That is apparently a popular week for various business travels. Have fun in the area, though, and I can try to recommend stuff if needed.