New York - Advice/Suggestions wanted..

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

lechef
AFH

New York - Advice/Suggestions wanted..

Post by lechef » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi!

I'll be going to New York for the first time soon-ish for a few days visiting and such and I wanted to know if people living in the area (or that know the place) had advice on good places to go eat or visit, other than the usual Statue/Tussaud/Ground Zero/Empire Building etc. I will be staying near Time Square.

Some local stuff would be nice, like good local pizza or hidden comedy club, local pub or local brewery or anything else that would be cool to visit/eat/drink at..

Thanks !

Edit. Going with the miss, so a few days vacation as a couple from November 29th to December 2nd (Friday t'il Monday), if that helps.
Last edited by lechef on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Re: New York - Advice/Suggestions wanted..

Post by top1214 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:50 pm

I've always enjoyed the Bronx Zoo, which, iirc is free on Tuesdays. There's some excellent Italian food a couple blocks from there, but I haven't been in years an do not recall the names.

Mai
oh hai

Post by Mai » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:08 pm

OH MY GOD MY CITY I KNOW THIS ONE

My favorite just walk in and get a slice pizza place lately is Joe's (http://www.joespizzanyc.com/). Lombardi's is really good for sit down, and I like Patsy's too. I definitely recommend walking around Chinatown- take the subway to Canal Street, or walk down Broadway through SoHo (lots of shopping, a bit bustly- watch your bags!). Lots of vegetable/fish/fruit stands, knock off stuff, a great ice cream place (chinatown ice cream factory), my fave vietnamese restaurant (Nha Trang), good soup dumplings (Joe Shanghai), dim sum, etc. Definitely nice to hit and then take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. If you're feeling adventurous and will be there over a weekend, checking out Smorgasburg or the Brooklyn Flea Market in Williamsburg is fun. It's nice to just wander around Williamsburg in general, lots of good brunch places, a brewery, etc. You can get there by taking the L train to the Bedford Ave stop.

I'm biased 'cause I'm from the East Village and I hate going uptown BUT. The metropolitan museum of art is GORGEOUS and it's pay what you will. They have a huge suggested $20 donation thing but you can actually give them like, a dollar, and it's whatever. Definitely check that out, take a walk through Central Park after too! The MOMA and Natural History are much more expensive, and the Met has some wonderful things.

In terms of comedy, again I'm biased 'cause I studied there and know people who perform there, but I <3 Upright Citizen's Brigade. Harold Night is usually good, and the weekend shows are always very good (sometimes people from saturday night live, etc. show up!)

Are you going just yourself? I can tailor recommendations a bit more =P I might also edit this frantically as I think of more stuff.

Edit: If you're going in later nov/early dec, the Union Square Holiday Market has a lot of great stuff. There's also a market at Grand Central (which is pretty to check out but not as good). Eataly is always fun, too, in terms of bigger market stuff.

Edit edit: Oh oh oh how could I forget the Highline! They converted old elevated railroad tracks on the west side to be public park space. It's an elevated walkway with plants, vendors, a really beautiful view (minus the part where that's new jersey), etc. Also there's a beer garden underneath part of it.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:37 am

Two words: New Jersey :)

I love Amici 2 in whats-left-of-Little-Italy. Fond memories of the gnocchi.
I really like the pizza at The Grotto downtown (http://thegrottonyc.com/ def. a hole in the wall). The buffalo chicken pizza is yummy. I am biased by this being the best pizza close to where I "work"/used to work, but it is quite good.
There are a lot of, for lack of a better description, Peter Luger-style steakhouses. They're popular with some people but I'd give them a miss. I've definitely had better steaks in many places.

Allow me to cast a vote for spending as little time in Times Square as possible.

The Met(ropolitan Museum of Art) is awesome, like Mai says, but it can easily take 2 days worth of time, so budget there. I think walking around Grand Central Station is pretty neat.

Most of the touristy things (except Times Square) are pretty neat. Walking around Central Park is fun. Chinatown is disgusting in an interesting kind of way >_>.

I haven't been to the September 11th Memorial but... I dunno. If you're interested, it might be worth taking the PATH train one stop into NJ and coming back. 5 years ago that was the best way to see the site. Not sure how that has changed now that the thing is completed.

deusnoctum
Statistically likely to return

Post by deusnoctum » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:20 pm

lotsofphil wrote:I haven't been to the September 11th Memorial but... I dunno. If you're interested, it might be worth taking the PATH train one stop into NJ and coming back. 5 years ago that was the best way to see the site. Not sure how that has changed now that the thing is completed.
Just be careful with PATH--Sandy wiped out a couple of their stations, and last time I rode it they had some irregular schedules to facilitate repairs. If you're going to take it, check their website and make sure they'll be running when you want to, so you don't get stranded someplace like I did.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:23 pm

Do you like theatre? There's great off-broadway stuff out there that you can see for relatively cheap. Luce is pretty good and only $20. You would also get the chance to check out Lincoln Center, which is a pretty neat place.

Similar to Mai's east village bias, I tend to stay in my own little brooklyn bubble, but I think Prospect Park is significantly better than Central Park if you're looking for a park experience. If you're a beer drinker, you can go to Bierkraft before or after for delicious sandwiches and a huge beer selection. As a bonus, I would probably be able to buy you a round. (I also agree with her UCB suggestion)

I also agree with Phil's recommendation to stay away from Time's Square as much as possible. It's a horrible, tourist and scammer filled place. If you've never been to New York though, you at least have to see it so that you can tell other people to stay away from it.

If you're considering taking the train into Jersey for the sake of going to Jersey, let me also suggest taking the Staten Island Ferry or the Ikea Ferry just for the views. It will probably be cold when you're here, but if it's a nice day, they're both free options.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge is certainly a thing to do, but it's a giant clusterfuck. I tend to recommend the Manhattan Bridge as an alternative. There's a good chance you'll be the only ones there and you still get great (if not better) views.

Have you ever had Ethiopian food before? If not, I suggest checking out an Ethiopian restaurant while you're here. It's delicious and a fun, unusual dining experience.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Do you still need to reserve ahead of time for the 9/11 memorial? I went at Xmas, and they waved it then. It was also a huge hassle, as much security as at an airport. I found it somber to the point of depressing.

Lord Stefano
Warlord

Post by Lord Stefano » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:30 am

Since you will be staying by Times Square, I suggest you try Pong Sri for Thai on 48th b/w Broadway & 8th Ave. Best pad see ewe ever (and they have a Chinatown location too if you follow Mai's path) <3

I cant add much, being deeper in Brooklyn than the other posters, but if the weather is nice definitely do the bridge(s). Personally I prefer the Brooklyn Bridge for a relaxing walk and view (hopefully no construction when you go). When you get off on the Brooklyn side, youre only a few blocks from both Brooklyn Bridge Park and the promenade in Brooklyn Heights (more nice views and photo moments). If you dont mind walking more, do make your way to Montague St. Plenty of good eats over there. I could go for some General Tso's chicken at Andy's right now. mmmm. EXPLORE! Plenty of trains back to the city from Bklyn Heights (and the bridge is only a little over a mile if you want to walk both ways).
The Manhattan Bridge... Id never do again. Did it once. Youre right next to the trains inside a cage-like area, and you have more walking to do when you get off it before you can return to civilization (my opinion! try both bridges and tell us your story :) )

I like walking, eating, then walking some more so Im ready to shut up. Have fun! ;)

Mai
oh hai

Post by Mai » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:53 am

Mmm agree, Pong sri is super yum.

If you get to Brooklyn Bridge park, you can also take a ferry/water taxi type thing up to Williamsburg for Brooklyn Brewery/looking at hipsters/other things in the area. It's nice on the weekends, I must admit.

Yeah walking around and eating is basically all I do.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:22 am

Because I like to be difficult, I suggest an alternative thai option: Pam Real Thai Food on 49th and 9th.

Mai
oh hai

Post by Mai » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:53 am

Orrrr if you want to walk through the LES, you can go to Lovely Day for Thai, on Elizabeth between Prince and Spring.

THAI FITE.

My favorite japanese places in the city are all on east 9th street. Sobaya for noodles and Hasaki for sushi and life is good.

lechef
AFH

Post by lechef » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions, I love Thai food, and also beer too, Bierkraft looks like a good place, will probably try and go there to have a beer and sandwich but not sure when yet.

I'll have to do a bit of research and see where we will go so we can somewhat plan a little ahead so we don't spend too much time travelling back and forth in trains/bus etc..

It's really appreciated to get all those suggestions, thanks again ! (sorry if I didnt respond earlier..)

lechef
AFH

Post by lechef » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Double post, unfortunately I am not going to go to NY, out of work for an undetermined amount of time so money will be tight. Still appreciate all the suggestions and will keep them in mind for when we will go in the future.

Thanks again :)