Soccer/Football

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Soccer/Football

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:09 pm

You people I used to chat football with in AFHobo private don't log in enough anymore! And since we're 80 days from the world cup, I think we need a thread. Here's my contribution to start:

Crime: Suarez takes the goal for himself as opposed to laying it off for the streaking Sterling. Sterling is not pleased (see 7m30s mark).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JPgL7rYuXs&t=6m45s
(bonus knowledge: apparently the Arabic for "hat trick" is "hat trick")
(double bonus: Spanish for "offsides" is "offsides")

Context:
Liverpool is up 5-3.
This is the last kick of the game.
Suarez is on a hat trick.
Earlier (10 minutes prior?) Suarez had botched a run in from the touchline and lost the ball before passing in to Sterling. Sterling was annoyed then.

I saw this and thought it was pretty lame of Sterling to whine about it: Suarez is one of the top goal-scorers in the world; he's on the team to finish these things. It's like complaining that the goalie gets to do all the goal kicks :) And who complains when their teammate scores? At the end of a 6-3 rout?
My mom emailed me, unprovoked, to tell me that she thought the same but, gasp!, my brother was anti-Suarez. Said Suarez should have spread the love.

I am mostly just amused that my mom had a disagreement on this with my brother. And then told me about it. I guess Suarez really is *that* handsome.

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Re: Soccer/Football

Post by Suendenbock » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:45 pm

I don't follow the Premier League at all. However I would be interested in your Champions League predictions since those are coming up. I am also pretty excited about the World Cup especially since Germany (home country), is in the same group as the US(country I am currently living in). Should make for some fun interactions while watching the games with friends :thumbs:

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:42 am

Suendenbock wrote:I don't follow the Premier League at all. However I would be interested in your Champions League predictions since those are coming up. I am also pretty excited about the World Cup especially since Germany (home country), is in the same group as the US(country I am currently living in). Should make for some fun interactions while watching the games with friends :thumbs:
My favorite teams are the US and Portugal, there is no way this doesn't end in tears.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:22 pm

LeafyGreens wrote: My favorite teams are the US and Portugal, there is no way this doesn't end in tears.
So you like Ghana's chances too? :)

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:31 pm

lotsofphil wrote:
LeafyGreens wrote: My favorite teams are the US and Portugal, there is no way this doesn't end in tears.
So you like Ghana's chances too? :)
Nah, it just means the US is going 0-3

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:06 am

Sterling knows better than to complain too much. He doesn't want to get bitten.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:03 pm

Suendenbock wrote:However I would be interested in your Champions League predictions since those are coming up.
I was getting optimistic about Man United, then they got thrashed by City. And someone pointed out "Bayern beat Barcelona 7-0 on aggregate last year. What do you think they'll do to United?"
Other than that now-past diversion I think my opinions are pretty non-inflammatory: Bayern over Utd. Real Madrid over Dortmund. Both of those comfortably. Chelsea over PSG, somewhat less comfortably. I don't know what people see in PSG to get so excited about. Barca/Atletico is a toss up but I favor Barcelona because Messi is Messi.

Looking forward to these games.

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sleeping Beast » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:00 pm

First of all:
The Argentinean for offsides is orsai... Don't ask. It comes from the same people that translated Rio de la Plata as River Plate. Yeah, that's my people

The US has steadily been getting stronger. They've reached the 8ths to final (is that a phrase?) in the last World Cup!

And as much as I want Argentina to win, I just hope we don't cross paths with Germany again. They're animals! (in the field, that is)

Oh! And it seems to be that there's a chance that Uruguay won't be competing! I hope it doesn't come to that...
Why so serious? A smile tastes better! =^..^= d:

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:19 pm

Sleeping Beast wrote:They've reached the 8ths to final (is that a phrase?)
Finals - Last 2
Semifinals - last 4
Quarterfinals- last 8

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:39 pm

I agree with you predictions in the Champions league. Anything else I would be surprised by. In regard to World Cup I obviously hope Germany makes it out of its group but the rest could be interesting. Ghana is not the worst team, Portugal has always been decent, and as someone mentioned before the US has been getting better. I actually think even without any upsets this group is going to more interesting than some of the others.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:05 am

Watching the USMNT over the past several months hasn't left me with a whole lot of confidence.

The first 30 minutes or so of the USA v Mexico game briefly lifted my spirits, but in the end I was reminded that no one is near Michael Bradley in terms of quality and the back line is generally terrible.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:22 am

I had a dream that the US lost 6-0 to "Endovastan" (or similar minnow). The post-game highlights included a Ivan-Lendl-like famous former athlete Endovastanian celebrating gleefully. I am not sure if this bodes ill or well. I'll keep you all up to date on my soothsaying.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Thu May 22, 2014 9:37 pm

So Landon didn't make the world cup squad. I know he's not in top form, but I was expecting him to at least lead from the bench. It's the end of an era.

His goal against Algeria in 2010 was my favorite soccer moment.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Thu May 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Yeah, I am stunned. If there is a moment next month when the US needs something magical to happen, I'd want Donovan on the field. I'd see Donovan making the play.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Fri May 23, 2014 9:04 am

Still shocked after sleeping on it :) Here's one of my favorites. Whistle the ball past the keeper's face, right into the roof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvWOdloiJVw&t=1m50s

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri May 23, 2014 11:52 am

I had forgotten all about that goal. It was as if the keeper was afraid of the ball.

To this day I don't understand why that winning goal was disallowed.

JParmar44
Admiral of Dance

Post by JParmar44 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:56 am

What do you guys think of Altidore? I've seen him play for Sunderland this season, and he looks a shadow of his International self?

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:45 pm

ESPN had this great graphic showing that Donovan has more World Cup goals than Messi, Rinaldo, and Rooney combined.

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Fri May 23, 2014 6:53 pm

JParmar44 wrote:What do you guys think of Altidore? I've seen him play for Sunderland this season, and he looks a shadow of his International self?
In the last World Cup Jozy was all hyped up but hardly did anything. I dunno what happened to him.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Tue May 27, 2014 12:29 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic about Jozy this time around. He was only 20 during the last world cup and he seems like he's grown and matured a great deal since then.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:20 am

"I'm planning on using the /talkie frequency 2014.6 as a place to blab about world cup."
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6131

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:41 am

thacon wrote:Sterling knows better than to complain too much. He doesn't want to get bitten.
Prophetic

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:52 am

I think it is a little bit bullshit. Soccer is a physical game. If he nut checked someone it wouldn't be such a big deal. Biting is weird. The red mist descended and he is trying to hurt the guy. His chosen style of doing that is odd, but it doesn't seem super different than elbowing someone. Is Alex Song a psychopath for elbowing that Croatian dude? I wouldn't want to be bitten or elbowed. I'd be pissed if either happened. But I wouldn't be exceptionally pissed about the bite over the elbow.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:45 am

lotsofphil wrote:I think it is a little bit bullshit. Soccer is a physical game. If he nut checked someone it wouldn't be such a big deal. Biting is weird. The red mist descended and he is trying to hurt the guy. His chosen style of doing that is odd, but it doesn't seem super different than elbowing someone. Is Alex Song a psychopath for elbowing that Croatian dude? I wouldn't want to be bitten or elbowed. I'd be pissed if either happened. But I wouldn't be exceptionally pissed about the bite over the elbow.
Biting is such a deliberate act that doesn't resemble normal game on play at all. It's completely unexpected and uncalled for. You cannot make a fiction where it was accidental or just playing too hard or whatever.

Additionally, it goes against certain animal instincts of not trying to hurt someone intentionally and permanently. Biting and breaking the skin are big deals in the animal kingdom. Look at dogs rough housing. They never viciously bite. Snapping (the threat of biting) is a way to say back off.

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:03 am

It was beyond biting, he was straight up trying to gnaw on that dude. Just going at it. It's weird as hell and probably cost his team a shot at the Cup.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:11 pm

top1214 wrote: Biting is such a deliberate act that doesn't resemble normal game on play at all. It's completely unexpected and uncalled for. You cannot make a fiction where it was accidental or just playing too hard or whatever.
I wasn't trying to say he was just playing hard. That's not what I meant by soccer being physical. He was deliberately trying to hurt him. That happens. Players with a lot less riding on the outcome than World Cup participants find their own balance between sportsmanship/decency to your fellow man, what the ref sees, what the ref lets you get away with, and what you need to do to win. That's what I mean by soccer being physical.

Leonardo got suspended for four games for fracturing Tab Ramos' skull in a match.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30rSHY9aFBI
And this is not exactly delving back into the time when men were men and tackles were studs up. I don't see why Suarez merits so much more condemnation. If instead of biting 3 people, he'd elbowed three people, would be so reviled?

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:00 pm

I think there is a lot of good discussion in this reddit thread. Particularly:
I think part of the outrage is because biting is such a deeply transgressive act. Everything else you mention is in the dirty footballer's bag of tricks, but an adult wilfully biting another seems like some sort of infantile and or amygdila-like reaction that belongs with other pre-verbal behaviour. It's baffling, but undeniably breaks the social contract absolutely, and makes other offences seem like they belong to a less serious category.
edit: The Red Bulls just posted this

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:43 pm

Jebbus, Leonardo should've been banned from all soccer for life. I'm not sure that Suarez should be. The point I was trying to make was basically the thing that Thacon quoted.

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sleeping Beast » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:52 pm

This is in the company I'm currently working at (I'm the one on the left, by the door)
Argentinian goal vs Switzerland

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Sleeping Beast wrote:This is in the company I'm currently working at (I'm the one on the left, by the door)
Argentinian goal vs Switzerland
Wow that was incredibly sweet. When the US lost we cursed de Bruyne and and show our heads solemnly before going back to work.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:49 am

https://twitter.com/liviubird/status/485309453827604480

More on Suarez (kicking a dead horse?). Zuniga is the guy who broke Neymar's vertebra last night. It's a physical game :|

(Not to be glib about the injury. I feel so bad for these guys who miss due to injury. Ribery, Falcao, the Mexican guy who broke his leg right before.)

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sleeping Beast » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:47 pm

lotsofphil wrote:https://twitter.com/liviubird/status/485309453827604480

More on Suarez (kicking a dead horse?). Zuniga is the guy who broke Neymar's vertebra last night. It's a physical game :|

(Not to be glib about the injury. I feel so bad for these guys who miss due to injury. Ribery, Falcao, the Mexican guy who broke his leg right before.)
I was watching the game. To be honest, it didn't seem like so much of an injury to me at first. I thought he was faking (apparently so did the referee), but I believe the real damage was done by Marcelo when he tried to lift hime by pulling his waist.
I really hope Zuniga gets some kind of sanction. He might not have done it on purpose, but that doesn't change the end result. After all, if I do that on the street, I end up (most probably down) on jail.

A little something from 2010

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sleeping Beast » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:40 am

We made it to the finals! I can't believe it!
I almost cried yesterday!
As I told my gf, while I was alive back on '86 and 1990, I've never LIVED a semi final! Let alone a FINAL!
And against Germany, the team that got us out of three of the last six World Cups!
I can't say I don't care how it ends (hint: I want us to win) but I must say I'm just so friggin' happy!

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm just glad y'all beat the freaking Dutch divers.

Viva Argentina!

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sleeping Beast » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:42 pm

I can't believe it!
Yes, we lost, but four years ago we lost for 4-0 to Germany. Now, 1-0 at the 113th minute of play, after missing out three chances and not having a penalty for Neuer's dangerous play. On the finals. With Argentina having it's best match ever.

Congratulations to the German Team for it's fourth World Cup. It's well deserved.

But while four years ago I had nothing but contempt four our national team, now I have nothing but respect.
VAMO' ARGENTINA, CARAJO!

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:55 pm

When Germany scored I was like "Nooooo poor Sleeping Beast!" Sorry man! It's no easy feat getting that far though, and you didn't go out like Brazil!

transplanted_entwife
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by transplanted_entwife » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:14 pm

LeafyGreens wrote:When Germany scored I was like "Nooooo poor Sleeping Beast!" Sorry man! It's no easy feat getting that far though, and you didn't go out like Brazil!
That was EXACTLY what I said, too! =D

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Why do the Red Bulls keep winning meaningless friendly "cups" against Arsenal but they can't seem to win a regular season MLS match?

I hope JParmar44 was watching...