World Cup Chat Channel, /talkie 2014.6

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

World Cup Chat Channel, /talkie 2014.6

Post by lotsofphil » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:20 am

I'm planning on using the /talkie frequency 2014.6 as a place to blab about world cup.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Re: World Cup Chat Channel, /talkie 2014.6

Post by thacon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:35 am

I have no idea what this means. Is this an in game feature that I don't know about?

Yesterday's game instilled some confidence. Playing 2 defensive midfielders behind Bradley seems like the right decision. The back line still worries me, but overall I'm liking our chances against Ghana at least.

Belgium was my dark horse team to make it to the semis, but without Benteke and now possibly Lukaku, I think I have to revisit my picks.

Also, watching Brazil play Panama was a bit like watching the Harlem Globetrotters. I'm pretty excited to see Brazil's cup run. Neymar might get punched in the face, but Brazil is going to score a lot of goals.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:05 pm

thacon wrote:I have no idea what this means. Is this an in game feature that I don't know about?
walkie talkie
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:48 pm

thacon wrote:I have no idea what this means. Is this an in game feature that I don't know about?

Yesterday's game instilled some confidence. Playing 2 defensive midfielders behind Bradley seems like the right decision. The back line still worries me, but overall I'm liking our chances against Ghana at least.

Belgium was my dark horse team to make it to the semis, but without Benteke and now possibly Lukaku, I think I have to revisit my picks.

Also, watching Brazil play Panama was a bit like watching the Harlem Globetrotters. I'm pretty excited to see Brazil's cup run. Neymar might get punched in the face, but Brazil is going to score a lot of goals.
Neymar complains to the refs so much. That bothers me. I am excited though. Really looking forward to the games. Cable technician is coming on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Costa Rica, World Cup champions

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:31 pm

This France - Switzerland game is an absolute slaughter

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:40 pm

81st minute, Swiss just got a goal. I smell comeback! :)

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Poor Benzema keeps getting his hat tricks taken away from him

JParmar44
Admiral of Dance

Post by JParmar44 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:44 am

Costa Rica's Joel Campbell has turned out to be a surprise for me atleast, very happy as an Arsenal fan!

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:48 pm

When did they add Suarez to KoL?

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:07 pm

Win, tie, loss isn't really a good way to build momentum, but I am happy. Is Belgium is beatable? Is Jozy going to be back? Is Bradley actually not a good player? Yay for still being able to ponder these things meaningfully!

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:39 pm

I watched Belgium-Russia and Belgium looks beatable. They have loads of talent but are really young and inexperienced and won both their games at the end. They are a pretty cool team though so it's too bad we playthrm and not Algeria or Russia.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:40 am

I would argue that win, draw, loss is pretty respectable. And we were 30 seconds away from win, win, loss. Before the tournament began, lots of people were saying that the US wouldn't even get a point out of the group, so I'd say they really exceeded expectations.

I think Belgium is beatable. Belgium at full strength and form is not, but without Benteke, with Lukaku playing poorly, with Defour suspended, and with Kompany, Vermaelen, and the guy who I can't remember his name, but he rolled his ankle right at the end of the game, possibly out, I think the US has a real shot.

I would have said that Belgium has too much firepower for our poor defense to handle, but so far they just haven't been impressive. I'm not putting money on them, but if they play well, they have a real chance.

And speaking of playing well, no, I don't think Bradley is bad. He's certainly not at the top of his game, but I'm not ready to jump on the hate bandwagon yet. I hope he gets his shit together because when he plays well, the team plays well, but we really don't have a replacement for him. I would say that he's suffering from having to change his role due to Jozy's injury and our shift in formation/tactics, but that doesn't explain his poor touches and decisions.

Before the cup, my wife asked me how we should be measuring the success of the team. I said that beating Ghana would be a good result, getting out of the group would be a great result, winning in the round of 16 would be a phenomenal result, and anything beyond that would be the best result in the history of US soccer. So I'm pretty happy no matter what happens next.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:58 am

I was thinking how different the narrative would be if the order of games were reversed:

Lose 1-0 to Germany in torrential rain. Not bad. Portugal beats Ghana by one. Ronaldo looks rampant. Not so good.
Tie Portugal 2-2, give up an early howler, come back to take the lead, contain Ronaldo but lose the 3 points in the last instant. Germany tie Ghana. Portugal and Germany top table with 4 pts each, +1 goal difference, a draw sends both through. US and Ghana at the bottom, 1 point a piece, -1 goal difference.
Go up instantly on Ghana, under siege the entire game. Germany annihilates 10-man Portugal, all we have to do is hang on. Ghana equalizes, we are despondent. This is proof that Klinsmann should have brought Donovan. Then John Brooks becomes the 2014 version of 2010 Donovan.

edit: also, I am bummed that Brazil have to win the Copa America just to make the semis.

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:09 pm

That's a very interesting thought, Phil. Obviously things wouldn't have been exactly the same (what would have happened with two games that included Jozy?) but if just look at what actually happened in reverse, it definitely changes the narrative.

I was thinking something similar about the Portugal draw. When the final whistle blew, I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. We got the draw that I was hoping for before the game, but it felt like we had been knocked out of the cup. If you changed the order of things around and instead had the USA equalizing in the 95th minute, I would have been jumping up and down and would have remembered it in the same vein as Algeria 2010 or Ghana 2014. Same 2-2 result, but completely different feelings.

The best part of this world cup for US soccer is that the narrative has shifted from how terrible we are and how we're not likely to get a single point from the group to talking about how we should have beaten Portugal and how we only got 4 points.

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:40 am

I have no regrets. But wouldn't Donovan have put away the chance that Wondo missed?

It's been an incredible world cup. Just hoping I can stay as interested with the US out of the tournament. All 8 group winners made the quarters. Should be some excellent games.

edit: also, it seemed like we created a ton more chances once Wondo came in (and once we went to two up top). Not sure if that was a tactical switch, Belgium tiring (I def. think we were the fitter squad), or both, or neither :)

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sleeping Beast » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:56 am

I really hoped you'd make it to quarters. Specially after watching this video
Flip the script
I never thought it was such a big deal over there!
lotsofphil wrote:[...]Just hoping I can stay as interested with the US out of the tournament[...]
Now you have two reasons to cheer for Argentina next saturday: revenge and me!
Why so serious? A smile tastes better! =^..^= d:

lotsofphil
Leader of rum ham

Post by lotsofphil » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:49 am

Sleeping Beast wrote: I never thought it was such a big deal over there!
I'd be interested to hear other people's takes on this. The US and soccer is tricky. We've been supposed to fall in love with soccer since they gave us the World Cup to host in 1994. But it hasn't really happened. People barely know what soccer is, on average. There was an extraordinary conjunction this time: World Cup is in Brazil, Brazil is the spiritual home of soccer; Brazil is a very convenient time zone, early games are 9 am on the West Coast, late games are 4 or 6 pm on the East Coast, you can go to a bar at somewhat normal bar hours to watch; the narrative was against us from the start, we love an underdog; the narrative gained hope with each game, we BEAT Ghana, the second set of games broke just about perfectly yet still provided the agony that makes you love the sport, we advanced from a tough group, we had a winnable opponent in Round of 16; the World Cup has been fantastic, upsets, goals, goals and goals; we were so close to a match with famous, mighty Argentina and Messi on a patriotic holiday weekend (Friday is US independence day). But we didn't quite get there.

That's what I am most bummed about. If the US had won, man are those stars ever aligned. Even if Argentina whooped us, it would have been Argentina. People would have seen beautiful, important soccer on the biggest stage I can picture. Instead? A solid overall performance. But now we wait four years for Russia? When games will be too early or too late or whatever. And you're starting over.

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sleeping Beast » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:50 am

lotsofphil wrote:That's what I am most bummed about. If the US had won, man are those stars ever aligned. Even if Argentina whooped us, it would have been Argentina. People would have seen beautiful, important soccer on the biggest stage I can picture. Instead? A solid overall performance. But now we wait four years for Russia? When games will be too early or too late or whatever. And you're starting over.
Actually, I just found out about the Centennial America Cup being held in the USA in 2016, so there's that!
I know it's not the same (believe me, I do), but in the context of promoting the sport, I think it'll be great

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sleeping Beast » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:54 am

Sleeping Beast wrote:
lotsofphil wrote:That's what I am most bummed about. If the US had won, man are those stars ever aligned. Even if Argentina whooped us, it would have been Argentina. People would have seen beautiful, important soccer on the biggest stage I can picture. Instead? A solid overall performance. But now we wait four years for Russia? When games will be too early or too late or whatever. And you're starting over.
Actually, I just found out about the Centennial America Cup being held in the USA in 2016, so there's that!
I know it's not the same (believe me, I do), but in the context of promoting the sport, I think it'll be great
Sooo... Aside from Mexico-Uruguay and Argentina-Chile*, the Copa América Centenario has not been that great as a sport-promoting event.
Most of the games were dull, at best. At least, those I watched (they're fairly late over here).

What's your take on the matter, fútbol** fans?

* this one might be a little biased
** that's what happens when a Spanish speaking country likes an English word. That one sounds just like football

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:50 am

In hindsight, Copa America was much more entertaining than the Euros have been. The Copa America teams seemed like they were out for blood and were always going for the win. The Euros have been so timid and lots of teams looked like they were playing for the draw. But I'm not ever going to complain about the opportunity to watch competitive soccer all month.