Perfect movies

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Perfect movies

Post by Raccoon » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:13 am

What movies, if any, do you think are "perfect" in the sense that there is absolutely nothing that you could improve without drastically changing it to a completely different kind of movie? In other words, I don't mean "perfect" in the artsy sense in which the American Film Institute or other such groups characterize the "best" movies, usually with "Citizen Kane" or something else like that at the top.

One example for me is "Terminator 2: Judgment Day." It's tightly plotted, intense, well-acted, and spectacular (even now) on screen. It completely nailed what it was trying to do (and I don't mean that in a backhanded way).

I think "The Empire Strikes Back" also qualifies, apart from the utter illogic of having Darth Vader aka Anakin Skywalker say things like, "If the son of Skywalker will not cooperate, then he will die."

I'm also quite fond of "Under Siege" (which is without a doubt the best Steven Seagal movie), although I tend to think it would've been improved without Erika Eleniak. Then again, that would probably make it a different movie, so . . . .

One final selection is the George Clooney/Nicole Kidman terrorism thriller "The Peacemaker." It's the perfect vehicle for Clooney to play more or less himself in a heroic fashion, and Kidman is fairly convincing as a nuclear physicist. (Less convincing is her American accent.) I especially appreciate that the director (Mimi Leder) resisted the urge to insert a romantic subplot, which I can imagine the studio wanting, given the lead actors. As a taxpayer/citizen, I would want American operatives hunting stolen nuclear weapons to FINISH THE MISSION before hitting on each other. But maybe that's just me.
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Re: Perfect movies

Post by LeafyGreens » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Raiders of the Lost Ark is pretty perfect as far as I am concerned.

Also The Room, for dubious reasons. If anything in that movie even approached passable, it wouldn't be the same at all, and would be forgettable. If anyone is a fan of The Room or bad movies in general, The Disaster Artist is an excellent read. The behind the scenes stories are just incredible.

littlelolligagged
Leader of Heck

Post by littlelolligagged » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm

You're talking about that absolutely brilliant miniseries by the network formerly known as SciFi, Lefty?

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:32 am

I think that Casablanca is nearly perfect. Pretty much the best movie, shot for shot.

Storm Dragon
Pie of the Sky

Post by Storm Dragon » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:47 am

Highlander. The first one. There can be only one.

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:18 am

Fellowship, as a Tolkein adaptation.

It stuck to the source materiel, but removed the novelistic fat and transformed it into compelling cinema. The cinematography is gorgeous. In the theater, my mouth was open almost the entire movie. I did not enjoy, "And we shall call them...the Fellowship of the Ring" which I could see coming as soon as the music started to crescendo, as it was cheesy, and I quibbled over Tom Bombadil. But this movie was fantastic. I've seen it theatrically no fewer than 3 times.

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:10 am

littlelolligagged wrote:You're talking about that absolutely brilliant miniseries by the network formerly known as SciFi, Lefty?
I wish I was

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:25 pm

Personally I have always loved Leon the Professional more so than other movies. I am not sure if it's the perfect movie to most people but to me it always has been.

littlelolligagged
Leader of Heck

Post by littlelolligagged » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:59 pm

The Reader.

Also, RK is right about Casablanca.

Sleeping Beast
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sleeping Beast » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:27 pm

Demolition man is a perfect movie. It promises both action and comedy and delivers in ways that other attempts fail misserably (I'm looking at you, Last Action Hero and True Lies)
LeafyGreens wrote:Raiders of the Lost Ark is pretty perfect as far as I am concerned.
Perhaps you've already discussed about it and I'm just jumping late but, what about the whole "Indy could be left out of the movie and the outcome would be the same" argument that's been around for a while?
Why so serious? A smile tastes better! =^..^= d:

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Sleeping Beast wrote:Demolition man is a perfect movie. It promises both action and comedy and delivers in ways that other attempts fail misserably (I'm looking at you, Last Action Hero and True Lies)
Yes, very good suggestion!
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:20 am

Another movie that I find myself watching over and over again is "Chinatown"

Seriously, that movie is awesome. It has awesome detective scenes, as well as a nearly perfect ending.

"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown"

thacon
Fiendishly At Large

Post by thacon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:13 am

It's been years since I've seen it, but if memory serves, I think City of God is pretty perfect. And Princess Bride. Princess Bride is the perfect movie.

LeafyGreens
Inscrutable Pi

Post by LeafyGreens » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:31 pm

reverkiller wrote:Another movie that I find myself watching over and over again is "Chinatown"

Seriously, that movie is awesome. It has awesome detective scenes, as well as a nearly perfect ending.

"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown"

I just watched this, it is great.