Twilight Heroes

Like the title says, anything and everything else goes here. As long as it follows the forum rules.

Moderator: Raccoon

TrueEeviL
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by TrueEeviL » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:24 pm

TrueEeviL wrote:Sign up tomarrow.

Never did do that.

Also, I need to stop being so busy while never seeming to get things done ;_;

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:24 pm

Yeah, I know. And really, the issue isn't that the comments are negative, but that they're uselessly so, for the most part. And I wasn't even part of the clan at the time, so I don't expect any pulled punches from people I mostly hadn't met yet (except for DarthDud, who was a clannie of mine at the time, via IstariAsuka--but we all know he's less than smooth on occasion).

Sinshlad
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Sinshlad » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:59 am

I'm still logging in everyday to burn my turns. Granted, all I do is spend all of them in the Virtual Reality Centre in about 30 seconds, but that's more than I can say about my current KoL activeness. I'll probably be hitting the Reality Centre until the ascension equivalent comes out. At which point Ill probably end up playing seriously for a while.

As it stands, if I could find a decent way to kill stuff and obtain a Fighting Club I'd have a decent shot at the higher spots on the Experience Boards(most definitely not first). Sadly, scaling combat is really fricken hard with stats as out of whack as mine (Think Psion with 6 times more strength than intelligence). I haven't actually done any combat in a while, I'll have to try it out over the next couple days and see how difficult it is now.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:27 am

Mad Hamish wrote:If anyone plays this even occaisionally, there is some temporary content with a world series tribute talisman. Get it while you can (doesn't take long)

Having just created an account today, is this something I'll be able to get while it's still available?
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

NotJim
Pie in the Sky

Post by NotJim » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:01 am

lostcalpolydude wrote:
Mad Hamish wrote:If anyone plays this even occaisionally, there is some temporary content with a world series tribute talisman. Get it while you can (doesn't take long)

Having just created an account today, is this something I'll be able to get while it's still available?

Sadly, no. It was only on two days ago.

Missed it as well :(

Friederike
Pie in the Sky

Post by Friederike » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:43 am

preniqueezer wrote:Looking over this thread, which I didn't know existed until just now, is all kinds of weird. Amazing how every major mistake is documented, and it's frustrating as hell to see year-old comments like "it's lame" with no follow up so I don't even understand what was unappealing or might be worth improving. *sighs*

Mind you, this is a thread by players for potential other players in a forum about another game entirely, and not meant to be read by the designers of Twilight Heroes, so I don't see why people should have posted constructive critisism here. I can understand that it's frustrating for you to read, of course. :)

DiscoNeckTed
Spy vs. Pie

Post by DiscoNeckTed » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 pm

preniqueezer wrote:Looking over this thread, which I didn't know existed until just now, is all kinds of weird. Amazing how every major mistake is documented, and it's frustrating as hell to see year-old comments like "it's lame" with no follow up so I don't even understand what was unappealing or might be worth improving. *sighs*.

I like TH, it is derivative of KoL but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some parts still play like beta, and maybe it is. It's about as good as secretsocietywars if that's a compliment. You understand if course that we are coming from the massive KOL..so have very high expectations. I'll forward my user name if I can recall it..

It's cool that you are accessible.
[img]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3514/ervs2.jpg[/img]

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Heck, if you can't remember the username, write with your email address and I can look it up. If you can't remember character name or email address, we're in trouble.

Until I hit the magic million users mark and I become a crabby old recluse, accessibility ought to remain one of my strong points.

And I'm perfectly okay with the term derivative. TH is, in a large part, the answer to the question I often hear, which is: "I love KoL so much--is there anything else out there even remotely like it?" I like to think the answer, for some people at least, is now "well, yeah, there's this one superhero game ..."

That said, I do try to work in some original concepts here or there. Or at least different takes on old concepts.

bizkut
Inscrutable Pi

Post by bizkut » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:29 pm

So yeah, how about that Soul Raver.

>.>

<.<

Kevlar
Inscrutable Pi

Re: Twilight Heroes

Post by Kevlar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Bit of a bump... Logged it for the first time in ages today, there's a lot more content. Who is playing these days?
grrrrrrr

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:33 pm

I'm a level 64 Psion!

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Since Kevlar bumped, I'll be shameless enough to state that an ascension-like mechanic is coming to the game very soon. Definitely within the year, likely much sooner than that.

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:53 am

I just signed up snig

Ceirdwyn
Hug Duchess

Post by Ceirdwyn » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:13 am

I used to play until the implementation of skill points I think - then stopped because my RL time just did not permit playing TH and KoL. Did you finally implement autoattack Preni? - that would save soo much time... *me bats eyelashes*

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:07 am

autoattack is on the list of imporovements I hope to put in before retcon. Not quite there yet.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:40 am

It's probably on the list somewhere below retcon, but a crafting interface (KoL's is nice) would be Veeeery helpful. Since there's no mafia for TH, I often feel I'm drowning in recipes.

And simple changes to the Equip screen would be to make it much more user-friendly (to me):
1) collapsible divs for each of the equipment types (slots).
2) [1] and [2] links next to the accessories to swap with current equipment in that slot.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:57 pm

NardoLoopa wrote: 1) collapsible divs for each of the equipment types (slots).
This gets requested occasionally, but I really don't see how hiding equipment from other sections helps people find what they want in the appropriate section. It seems like it'd just hide stuff people want to find later. (I do see it occasionally reported as a bug in KoL -- programming that creates bug reports makes me feel queasy.) Each equipment section up at the top is a drop-link to its own section of gear, which for me has the same effect as essentially tuning everything else out. Is that not effective for you?
NardoLoopa wrote:It's probably on the list somewhere below retcon, but a crafting interface (KoL's is nice) would be Veeeery helpful.
Give me 3 more years and a CD Moyer clone, and I'll be sure to put that in, you betcha.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:51 am

RETCON! Whoohoo!

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:31 am

btw: PIE, I'm really enjoying TH Ascension (AKA Retcon). It's been about 3 years since I did any of these low level quests, so they're fun to revisit. I'm doing a Grimdark(HCNP) Gadgeteer for the med-kit. I'm horribly inefficient, but enjoying the learning curve on a game that's interesting, but not as overwhelming as KoL. Great job!

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:07 am

I'm interested in playing this again, but I want to speed ascend. Any clans that I can join, or offsite forums I can read with pro strats?

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:35 am

Ascension (Retcon) just rolled out a few days ago -- so the field is wide open for theory and experimentation for speed. "Optimal" probably hasn't been found yet. I don't think there are any clans. The community is pretty small still.

Verdigris97
Colonel Contest

Post by Verdigris97 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:41 pm

I just got an account in the last week or two. I like the look and feel of it, but I haven't played many turns (RL + KoL) so I'm a complete n00b.

So how many of us Heckers/Hellions are there? Are we a virtual clan already?

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:23 pm

Thanks, Nardo. Glad you're having fun.

I don't have clans yet, but it's on a very short list of things to put into the game very soon.

For the competitive ascendy types, this is a good time to get in there and *define* the strategy that all the newbies will be following for years to come. Also, believe it or not, I am VERY open to feedback about the logic of quest flow and ways in which strategy can be added. (If you don't believe me, just look at the criminology lab as my alternative to lucre -- that whole system was based on comments from a handful of ascenders about all the ways in which lucre interfered with other plans.) I'm actively working on ways to streamline some of the quests and give greater strategic option.

reverkiller
Promoter of Heck

Post by reverkiller » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm having fun, but I'm a little slow. I'm excited to get into an actual run. If clans pop up, I'd love to clan up with you guys :)

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:59 am

You guys are killing me -- now I want to play TH really badly but I barely have enough time to play my KoL turns! Grr.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Kelemvor wrote:You guys are killing me -- now I want to play TH really badly but I barely have enough time to play my KoL turns! Grr.
Yeah seriously...

Ceirdwyn
Hug Duchess

Post by Ceirdwyn » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:11 pm

I have resisted to play again so far as it might stop me from playing KoL at all - but if clans some up eventually I would be happy to join :)

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:35 am

Regarding the above time commitment comments: yeah, the most interesting thing for me about TH is being thrown back to a KoL-time where I'm done with my turns a half-hour after rollover and have nothing to do but sit in chat and click on people's profiles. Makes me want to create a multi just to get more TH.

I have no idea how TekRunner did a 7-day Grimdark (BM) run. I'm lvl 9 with a ways to go on day 7. Impressive.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 am

For those interested: there's an event going on in TH right now. Even if you're in the middle of an retcon (ascension) it should still be do-able.

big_mara
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by big_mara » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Just started playing this ten days ago. I'm thoroughly impressed. I think that any fans of kol (NS11 in particular) would certainly dig playing this. It's similar to kol in a lot of ways, but it's much more user friendly in that Ryme takes player suggestions very seriously. A lot of the problems I see with kol (overly complex, monstrous time sink, huge barrier to entry, and an either apathetic, hostile, or annoying community at large) are not present here. One suggestion: allow underscores in player names. I hate that I had to be bmara over there :(

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:17 pm

I think I excluded underscores because the /msg feature requires replacing spaces with underscores, and then it got a lot more complicated keeping track of player names when you couldn't allow names that interchanged underscores and spaces. For instance, /msg b_mara wouldn't be able to tell between "b_mara" and "b mara" unless I added a lot more protections.

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:53 pm

Maybe too late now, but couldn't you just treat underscores and spaces as the same character?

That is, if someone is 'big mara", someone else cannot be "big_mara". Account->getUsername just has an additional function that replaces spaces with underscores (or the other way around, whichever), and I think you're good.

Thinking about it for like 30 *more* seconds, I suppose you also need to wrap everything else in the same replacement function so that you can do matches against the database. That could be annoying and error prone, but it's also easily fixable.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:44 am

In theory, yes. In practice, I matching characters isn't my strong suit, and I tend to waste far too much time messing that stuff up. May be a poor way to advertise to talk about my limitations, but it's the truth. Also, at this point I'd have to check all previous accounts to make sure none overlap, and if they did I don't know how I'd fix that.

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:49 am

Fair enough, it's probably not a big deal. Well, except to bmara. :)

Also, in rereading my post I realized that it's possible to interpret what I was saying as "this only took me thirty seconds to think of, I am so smart, you are so dumb". That is not at all what I meant! I meant "I only thought about this for thirty seconds because I am lazy, so if there is something incredibly stupid and obvious that I'm missing, that's why."

(I am not a pompous jerk, really. :()

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:54 am

Nope, didn't take it that way at all. A better programmer could probably do it easily. I'm more of a "get by and get it working so I can get to fun stuff" kind of coder, and sometimes I hit a wall where the fix ought to be easy, but it's not for me. No offense taken.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:33 pm

The Mall was rolled out on TH tonight. Check in for arbitrage profits.

Yeah, and it might be a good time to make that account you think you'll never use, just to get the xmas gift this year. ;)

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:20 pm

NL is now my head programmer AND head of marketing, apparently. In another year I'm going to convince him to buy the game and I'll retire to the Carribean. Good stuff.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:26 pm

I assume you're paying him a percentage! You should work on getting Jick to implement something like your ascension reward mechanism so pantsless and I will owe you all that money.

preniqueezer
AFH

Post by preniqueezer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:55 am

I have very little actual power over Jick, other than perhaps leading by example. I'm 95% convinced he's going to do what you want, but it requires 30% luck, 30% good timing, and 40% the right blend of beer, caffeine, and nicotine to make him feel like doing it. Or deciding what to draw up and make CDM do it. Given 6 months, I think it'll happen.

If it doesn't, I'll ban his account.

(Just kidding. Entirely kidding. I'll just institute more good ideas that make him want to do it more.)

Ceirdwyn
Hug Duchess

Post by Ceirdwyn » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:38 am

Hmm - setting up a store seems to be...difficult when using firefox. At least I always get a "browser not supported" :(

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:12 am

Do you have javascript turned off? There's an ajax call that's necessary. Firefox supports it for most modern versions. FF 3.5 / 3.6 tested extensively.

Also, once you set up the shop there's no more Ajax, so you'll be over that hurtle.

What version of FF/OS?

Ceirdwyn
Hug Duchess

Post by Ceirdwyn » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:58 am

Good questions - let me see - Javascript is turned on but apparently this computer only has FF 3.0.18.

I guess I'll wait until I am back at home on my own computer then.