Effovex's attempted 2-day SCNP (DitR)

Moderator: Raccoon

Effovex
Recruiter of AFH/k

Effovex's attempted 2-day SCNP (DitR)

Post by Effovex » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:50 pm

Day 1

First thing I do is get and sell my pork elves goodies and crimbo present (a sweater) for the meat, then I pull my one crimbo ration and 3 lunchboxen, my plan being to open them, see what consumables I get, and then act otherwise. I get the distribution I wanted, which is perfect, but I decide not to pull a fourth lunchbox, which was a mistake.

Then I go fishing, lucky sewers for accordion, trinket, spices, then get lucky and get a trinket on my first unlucky try.

I pull my gear (Mitre, Haiku Katana, Stinky Shield, Brimstone Bunker, Navel Ring, V Mask, jub jub, moveable feast, quadroculars and Jew Hat), donate 20$, equip the mr. A, navel ring and jew hat, and go play pool for the MP buff. I do three guild tests, then go shoring - this way the third shoring will get three turns of mental acuity, 20 bonus MP. I use the MPs to summon cocktails (a mistake, because I got 3 coconuts on the third shore), tasteful gifts (no massage oil), sugar sheet and a couple of divines, getting a cracker and a flute but no poppers. I then do the final guild challenge and cast some buffs.

I pull a milk of magnesium and eat 2 frank'n beans and 5 lunchboxen, then I equip all my gear, feed my boulder, buy and set the radio to 10, and go red-ray the first thing I meet in the pantry. Then I eat a fortune cookie and get lucky with 183 turns until my semi-rare is up. Sweet. Until now everything is going perfectly.

First thing I plan to do is open spookyraven. I take my bander, cast fat leon, and adventure until I get a can lid - then decide to go burn the remaining turns of fat leon in the outskirts of the knob, hoping to get a firecracker. I don't get a firecracker, but I get the encryption key after 4 turns, then go back to the pantry and open it two turns later, on turn 27.

Turn 18: level 4.

I then burn up a bunch of runaways to get the larva - using up 5 navel ring getaways to do so, and getting the map and spooky-gro in the process. I figure out after a fight or two that I should use the haiku katana before running away, and I equip the jew hat to get MPs from the noncombats.

Turn 33 I go to the 8-bit realm with my llama, hoping to olfact a blooper and get a gong in the process. when the shore counter is down to 9, I use the pool table to get mental acuity to get 12 turns of MP again. I olfact a blooper on the second turn, then hit level 5 two turns later. I equip the he-boulder and go zap a harem girl, hitting her on the first turn - lucky again. I then go spend 20 turns getting the digital key, using bandersnatch and summer siesta as much as possible.

Turn 38: level 5

At that point I'm exactly on schedule with my plan and feeling pretty good. I decide to go open the library and start making ridiculous mistakes. First I forget to equip my llama with the feast so that he can kill chalk ghosts. Then I forget the first softcore skill I permed was chronic indigestion, so I can actually kill the ghosts by myself. And finally, after killing the ghost off a luck critical hit, I pull the ring of conflict, cast smooth movement and realize I can't equip the RoC yet. So I equip the harem veil and my slimeling and go kill bats to get 4 sonars (I don't have a full telescope, so I always get a fourth sonar there). I'm an idiot again and forget to turn a Mr. A into a Jr. It takes way too long. Turn 71 I get my fourth sonar, cast ode to booze, and drink schnapps and 4 coffees. Then I pull spice melange and a boris pie and consume those.

Turn 65: level 6

Since I have booze up, I go back to the billiards room and use a cracker to get some chalk and my 5 bander runaways - which prove not to be enough despite running 10% +NC. I also forgot to unequip the navel ring for two turns, which I think wastes runaways, but I'm not certain. Anyway, after two actual turns I get the library key. At least I remember to kill the ghost with indigestion.

I equip finger cymbals and jew hat and bung a gong, getting muscle, mp and unpopular, then I go do the tavern. I takes 21 turns! Thankfully the stats aren't too bad because I'm full of MP and summer siestaing. I kind of forgot to remove the finger cymbals on the first turn though. Turn 100 I get the faucet but don't turn it off right away.

Turn 98: level 7

I go to the library and open the second floor, using bandersnatch and getting all the components for AFUE anyway - but that's because it took a while to get the stupid non-combat despite running 15% +NC. I go shoring somewhere in there, and by turn 114 I open the second floor, then spend a couple more turns trying to open the gallery, but it won't come up. I spend 13 turns in the haunted bedroom, and I keep getting the stupid black one nightstand, which I can't fight. Well, I probably could have fought, actually, but they did hit very hard. Still, should have removed aria, run un ben-gal, and killed the bitches. Instead, I get some coin purses and use a runaway.

Turn 132, I go open the DoD. Three turns to get the plus sign, three more turns to get teleportitis, and then I get teleported twice in the DoD (?) and get the oracle on the third turn. Are you sure I actually got teleportitis there? I foolishly waste a runaway afterwards when I get teleported in the pantry - that doesn't decrement teleportitis dummy. So after a turn in the noob cave and another turn in the haunted kitchen (didn't get leftovers, sadly) I go close the tavern. Then I realize I should have used my last turn of teleportitis to close the tavern. Well done. I make and drink some swills and realize I won't generate enough turns to get to level 9, so I pull an extra lunchbox. Would have been way better to pull it at lvl 1. Bleh.

Then I zap a hippy and open the gallery in two turns. Nice!

I go do the pirates. Uneventful, though I don't see a whole lot of noncombats despite again running 15% +NC (I forgot to turn on the ballroom song). It takes 12 turns and of course the only drop I get is for an item I already go through a NC, but that's par for the course.

I go kill the goblin king and the boss bat. Probably not a great idea.

I go powerlevel in the gallery. Gallery's pretty high level for me but I turn off aria, max non-combats, use ben-gal and do my best, hoping to hit lvl 9 in 45 turns or so. I get a couple of louvres early, but mafia's "Go for goal" fucks me up and gets Manetwich - first time is normal, I think, because it needs to figure out the gallery, but then next time it does it again. So I stop trusting mafia. I get some nice muscle stats and it looks good. Then *I* fuck up and misclick and get moxie stats instead. Then I get muscle substats twice but my luck is starting to run out. I just need one extra louvres to hit level 9, but I get nothing but combats and that other stupid non-combat. I try to squeeze out some runaways (and do get a bunch) for an extra chance at the stupid louvre but don't get it. Gaaaah! I use my SR for a lunchbox.

Turn 169: level 8

Turn 215: level 9, 15 turns too late. I didn't see the louvre in something like 20 adventures (more like 25 with runaways).

I hit level 9 with no adventures left. Then I sniff air, complete the friar's quest, and go do the orc chasm. I'm quite upset at this point, and make a ton of mistakes - I don't turn my stinky into an eye for something like 10 turns, then I remove my mitre to putty an adding machine, then DON'T putty an adding machine, and never see another. I've got a huge bunch of scrolls and tomorrow I won't be able to putty the adding machine so I'll have to olfact it, and I lose 3 potential clovers since that's what the hermit had today.

Then I realize I didn't stock a jar of squeeze (I got confused with the jar of fermented pickles, but at least I verified before pulling it) and have no corpsedriver. I settle for a corpse on the beach.

Then I start writing the log, and realize I haven't clubbed any seals all day. That's the whole reason I ascended as a seal clubber. How stupid can I get? Gaaaaah! So I went back and killed some seals.

End of day 1

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Re: Effovex's attempted 2-day SCNP (DitR)

Post by lostcalpolydude » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:30 pm

I then go spend 20 turns getting the digital key, using bandersnatch and summer siesta as much as possible.
You used summer siesta because you didn't have a better way of killing 8-bit monsters, right?
I don't have a full telescope, so I always get a fourth sonar there
This isn't a bad thing to backfarm if you have to. There's no reason to farm it early.
I also forgot to unequip the navel ring for two turns, which I think wastes runaways, but I'm not certain.
It doesn't. I've burned enough runaways in aftercore with the bander while wearing a navel ring that I would have noticed it, I'm sure.
Then I realize I should have used my last turn of teleportitis to close the tavern.
Doing that doesn't take a turn, actually. At least I'm 90% sure it doesn't.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Hmm, you opened spookyraven first? I've been opening the knob first, because I want to ray a harem girl/kge immediately upon hitting level 5. Getting that late might mean only 2 rays day 1, depending.

And it seems you're going the "massive turngen" route, which makes the run more likely to happen. With these low-skill 2-days I really have no idea how long it takes to finish, so playing it safe is probably smart.

Too bad about all the mistakes though. Better luck tomorrow.

Effovex
Recruiter of AFH/k

Post by Effovex » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:33 pm

lostcalpolydude wrote:You used summer siesta because you didn't have a better way of killing 8-bit monsters, right?
No, for the extra stats from the V Mask. I used spring rain from time to time, but overall I found myself having enough MP to maintain my few buffs (phat, aria, leash)
This isn't a bad thing to backfarm if you have to. There's no reason to farm it early.
That's probably true. I guess it's an habit I took in hardcore but it doesn't make much sense in softcore.
stupac2 wrote:Hmm, you opened spookyraven first? I've been opening the knob first, because I want to ray a harem girl/kge immediately upon hitting level 5. Getting that late might mean only 2 rays day 1, depending.
It ended up not mattering, but if I ever try it again, that would indeed be the better plan.
And it seems you're going the "massive turngen" route, which makes the run more likely to happen. With these low-skill 2-days I really have no idea how long it takes to finish, so playing it safe is probably smart.
Pantsless suggested it and I saw the wisdom in it. My problem was actually generating that many turns.

Anyway, I completely failed my run today. Amazingly bad RNG where I never, ever saw a spam witch. I really should have cut my losses and just waited for the next semi-rare, but I absurdly kept course for way too long, and in something like 60 adventures in the goddamn valley I never saw a single witch. I even creepy grinned AND stinkeyed two monsters at one point and still it never came up, until I finally gave up, came back later for the semi-rare, at which point I got a spam witch immediately when I went to try to get an adding machine.

I made a bunch of smaller mistakes elsewhere, and once I realized I wouldn't make it I played really sloppily, but man was that depressing. I kept thinking "next opponent is going to be a spam witch, I'll olfact it and then it'll be fine" but it never came up.

I think my initial plan was sound - pull fewer pies and large boxes, open the DoD, and generate as many turns as possible - but messing up the louvres really killed the run, and opened me up to that extremely, extremely bad RNG. I generally manage to get 3-4 31337 scrolls and finish the valley in fewer turns than that on my hardcore runs.

The RNG was as bad on day two as it was good on day one. I'm not sure I even want to write up a log for day 2 since it'll be so much whining. I'll see what I can do later, but at this point I'll count myself lucky if I make 3/750...

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:54 pm

Seems like the RNG was in a bad mood these two days - my 2-day failed pretty spectacularly also.

I'll have a few notes up shortly, and a full log maybe tomorrow or the next day. Misery loves company and all that.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:49 pm

No, for the extra stats from the V Mask. I used spring rain from time to time, but overall I found myself having enough MP to maintain my few buffs (phat, aria, leash)
If you really don't need the MP from spring raindrop, then an ice sickle will give you more stats and you won't have to waste MP on forcing critical hits.
That's probably true. I guess it's an habit I took in hardcore but it doesn't make much sense in softcore.
I don't think it makes any more sense in HC. Backfarming might be annoying, but prefarming stuff you might not need isn't any better. I guess it can make some sense in low-skill HC when you need to go somewhere for stats just so you can survive in the next zone.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)