Want Feedback? (Tips for Effective Logs)

For review of out of clan ascension logs and those in-clan logs that don't share our super secret strategies.

Moderator: Raccoon

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Want Feedback? (Tips for Effective Logs)

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:17 pm

- Post your skill list. A helpful tool can be found here: skill checker (post the perma-link at the top of your log), or you can create a bumcheekcity profile which includes your skills.

- List relevant information to the ascension: Include path, class, and moon sign in the log title. Notable familiars, grimacite / jek bonuses (if used), etc. would be nice at the top of the log itself.

- Set a goal for yourself. This helps keep things in perspective, and should help anyone who's posting advice see what you're going for, instead of firing off general advice which may not apply to your particular situation. (Example: 3 day, <700. Or, 2-day, <600 with no more than 250k spent, etc.)

- If turns are being broken out, something like [1] Sewer, [2-3] Guild is a nice and easy to follow method. If you use a log parser, feel free to remove unnecessary clutter it includes, or add in more interesting things that happened. If you want comments on specific parts, make sure those parts are detailed and show everything relevant to what you wonder about.

- For softcore, use an easy to follow pull format. I'd recommend recapping pulls at the beginning or end, along with any changes you would have made in hindsight. Seeing pulls as you go is useful, but having a clear idea of what was done as an overview would be nice.

- List familiar weights at the end of the day, which will give a pretty clear indication which ones were used, and roughly how often.

- I find breaking out a detailed list of goals at the end of my day is useful to organize my thoughts when I resume play. Writing them down also makes sure I don't forget anything I wanted to do. While this isn't necessarily going to be a 250 turn breakdown, an overview "do ballroom before friars / crypt", or "plan on using 1st yellow ray on XXX" would be good. This is also an excellent time for people to provide advice, as we can help steer you in the right direction before actions are taken, instead of pointing out mistakes after they're made.

- In the same regard, plan your diet & goals before starting the day. This puts it into writing to help avoid problems, and makes sure enough pulls are saved. Additionally, it can be helpful to have your entire day's plan to look at, that way when you're getting low on turns, you can make a decision like "oh, I need turns now, and won't be able to get to the goatlet for milk, so I can either eat without milk or I could drink something". While it may seem like a simple thing, having a plan written down has been pretty key for me in reducing the mistakes I make during a run.

- Ask questions!! We can provide the best feedback when we know what you're looking for. If there's something specific you were questioning, either recap it at the end, or highlight it in some fashion (bold, perhaps?) to call attention to what you're driving for.

- Make notes while doing the run. The most interesting aspects for commenting are your thoughts and reasons for doing what you do, and decisions you wonder about or things that made you go out of your way. Don't postpone starting on the writing until the run is over. By that time you've probably forgotten a lot of what you were doing, and it's much too late to get any feedback on your plans.

- Be patient with the forum. If you get a posting error, wait a few minutes and refresh the board. Odds are it posted, and just needed a minute or two to process. =) See this thread or ask for help if you still can't get it to work.

Have any tips you'd like to share? Note them below!

Example: Here's one example of a very good log format: bleary's HCO P Wallaby 9/755
That one has brief posts about what happened each day and what's interesting for the next day. It also has lots of extra information available for those who are particularly interested, through links and spoiler tags (skill perms, planning spreadsheet, parsed log with turn breakdown).

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Re: Tips for Effective Logs

Post by lostcalpolydude » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:10 pm

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:-Be patient with the forum. If you get a posting error, wait a few minutes and refresh the board. Odds are it posted, and just needed a minute or two to process. =)

This is kind of misleading. The problem is solved when someone loads the thread at alliancefromhell.com/forum/rss.php with an RSS reader, which could happen in 5 minutes or 12 hours, or it could be done by the person that runs into the error for immediate results. I get that this is supposed to be general advice, but I'm wondering what will actually be the most helpful thing to put here (if anything).
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Re: Want Feedback? (Tips for Effective Logs)

Post by Draco Cracona » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:12 pm

That's a rather dead skill checker took link. cgi-bin/hobo/skillChecker.cgi might be a better one.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Draco Cracona wrote:That's a rather dead skill checker took link. cgi-bin/hobo/skillChecker.cgi might be a better one.
Updated with that link, and with bumcheekcity's site since that's what I would actually recommend people use.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

Eleron
Has a thing!

Post by Eleron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:05 am

Updated a bit, with some bolding to avoid tl;dr as well. Not sure if it's really a good idea for people to post without reading it all, but they do.