Log posting and error messages!

For review of out of clan ascension logs and those in-clan logs that don't share our super secret strategies.

Moderator: Raccoon

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Log posting and error messages!

Post by Raccoon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:39 am

Please note that there is an occasional glitch with the forum interface when ascension logs are posted.

Edit: Try using http://www.houeland.com/kol/logfixer to fix the logs before posting. - Eleron

*If you submit your log and get an error message with some strange error code, please do not re-submit your log right away.*

The best thing to do is to wait a few minutes (or even longer) to see if the log has posted anyway; it usually does. If you resubmit your log (again and again), the forum will end up with n copies of your log, and I will have to go through and manually delete n-1 copies.

Thanks!

Edit: this seems to be caused by special characters, like the "n" in Jabanero. While you should wait a while to make sure your log will show up, if it doesn't, try stripping those characters and reposting. --deus

Also, the TM after breathetastic and meleegra. -lost

Also also, the accented e in Oreille Divisee brandy
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Re: Log posting and error messages!

Post by stupac2 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:01 pm

People don't seem to be seeing lost's and deus's corrections above, so I'm bumping this. You need to delete those specials characters before a log will post. If you're getting repeated whitescreens, look for canned air (TM), meleegra (TM), Jalapeno/jabanero saucespheres, and any other weird characters I'm not thinking of. Manually delete the weirdness. Additionally, if you write something in word (etc) and paste it in here, you may have to correct certain characters, such as dashes (--), apostrophes ('), and quotes ("). Some programs like to fancify those characters (and others, 1/2, smilies, etc) and those can screw stuff up. Pasting into notepad first can help, but it doesn't always. Typing in notepad (or even better, the open forums) completely prevents this.

Finally, if you still can't find your problem, post sections of your log until it works. I recommend the binary search, cut it in half, try each half, cut the half that fails in half, try each half, etc. That's how I found that canned air and meleegra were screwing things up.

kruncho
Pie of the Sky

Post by kruncho » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:17 pm

This may go without saying for full AFH/AFHk members or people not in a rush before posting their logs, but as a guest, I realized that you get the blank white screen whether you preview or submit after reading this topic too carelessly and trying stuff out. So, yeah, preview before submitting. It's an old annoying rule that's easy to forget, but it applies extra here.

I'd also assume those of us who know programming could write a short perl script to look for characters outside the norm or even convert known trouble characters. It would only take a few minutes, if it hasn't already been done, but I don't know if the forum allows these attachments.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:28 pm

Flolle's visualizer now has an option to remove non-ASCII characters, and that fixes the problem completely.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

Eleron
Has a thing!

Post by Eleron » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Jersey_Tomato
Recruiter of AFH/k

Post by Jersey_Tomato » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:46 am

Comprehensive List of Known Trouble Spots

I did some research and found some additional characters that make it whitescreen.

Copying into notepad will fix some of these, but not all. You'll have to copy it from notepad back to word to do some of these fixes. Commenting your logs directly in notepad won't prevent all problems, but you'll have fewer than if you do it in word.

You'd be unlikely to be using some of these problem characters but I'm listing everything that I found, the items mentoned above, and solutions where I know about them.

- Smart apostrophes and smart quotes. Go to Autocorrect options and deselect "straight quotes with smart quotes." You might have to do this on two tabs. Then do a find and replace. But a quote mark in both the find and replace fields and hit 'replace all.' Then do the same with the apostrophe mark in both fields. You should be in business.

- The TM character as in Meleegra and Breathetastic canned air.

- The tilde over the n as in Jabanero and Jalapeno

- The accent over the e in Oreille Divisee brandy

-Presumably other foreign-language characters and other things you'd choose from the "symbols" menu.

- Things that show up as a square when you paste it in.

- Ellipsis. That's 3 or more periods in a row. 3 periods works fine if you type it into a reply box on the forums though.

- Fractions. When word converts your 1/2 to the pretty fraction, that will screw things up.

- Em-dash. That's when word takes two hyphens in a row and makes it into a long dash. Two hyphens in a row isn't actually a problem, but just avoid putting 2 in a row because who knows what word will do.

- En-dash. This looks like a single hyphen but it's a special character.

- Some smilies

- Optional hyphen

- Bullet point character

- Section break character

Superscript, subscript, manual line and page breaks, carets, and nonbreaking spaces seem to come through okay as far as I can tell.

If you're still whitescreening: As Stu mentioned above, put in one half and then the other to see where the remaining problem is. Then halve that, then halve that and so on until you've narrowed down your trouble spot. You can hit "preview" instead of "post" so you avoid actually posting weird fragments.

If you find additional things that cause problems, please post them or let me know and I'll edit them in.

littlelolligagged
Leader of Heck

Post by littlelolligagged » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:52 am

Apostophes posted from word were what did me in.