Ascension Log Visualizer

For stuff related to KoLmafia, KoLproxy, Ascension Log Visualizer, and greasemonkey scripts. Maybe other stuff too.
Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Ah, er ... now I'm going to feel bad for bringing so much news that's going clearing stuff up, but in a bad kind of way. :(
salien wrote:I was about to report that issue with encounter names, heh, but wanted to ensure I had logs for it myself so I could provide those; glad to hear it's fixed!
Well, I hope that I fixed this issue, but my personal logs are rather limited right now, so as I said, if you find that it isn't fixed yet, please do get back to me.
salien wrote:As for the MP gains report, those basic categories sound pretty fantastic already (would the starfish gains be break-down-able into the individual fish-fams? Hobo vs. clownfish vs. GGG vs. slimeling, etc.).
Well, it is possible to do, but I don't know whether I should implement it that way. I don't really want to set precedent for detailed MP gain reports because for pretty much anything else this may be more or less not possible to do. (Personal bias warning: Of course, from the developer point of view a single overreaching category is easier to handle than a complete listing.)

Would it really be helpful to have the starfish familiars split up? From personal experience, which is limited to hardcore with not that many skills, it seems more like a style choice than a real difference whether your MP are going to come from the Hobo or the GGG.
salien wrote:Paraphrasing: Could the "Other" category be split up into "In-Combat" and "Out-Of-Combat"?
This is the minimum I'd like to do once the parser rewrite is done, but right now this would be a real headache to implement. The main problem here is that you can't really tell when a combat is done without looking a couple of lines ahead in the session log, because there is no line to the gist of "Combat finished!" or even "Encounter finished!". Also, you can't take an empty line as the definitiv encounter end either unless you at least checked the next line or two too, because sometimes mafia throws empty lines into the middle of the encounter.

(Sometimes I wish that KolMafia had the option to create its session logs in xml format and log every event (encounter, comsumable, etc.) as its own node, that would make things soooo much easier. Of course, it would be harder to read for humans, but my job would definitely be easier. T.T)
salien wrote:Paraphrasing: Are famliars like the whelps and the NPZR part of the "Starfish Familiar" category?
Short answer: No. Only familiars that use the specific mechanic of the starfish, aka turning the damage done into the same amount of MP, are part of the category.

Long answer: No. The only reason starfish familiar MP gains can be recognised is because they give away their MP gain in their attack message in the form of the amount of damage they do. All other in-combat MP gains are logged in the same way that is hard to attribute correctly. To give you an idea, assume you one-hit your opponent with your Haiku katana, have purple tongue and a Navel Ring that fired its MP regen. This is what the MP gains logged by mafia at the end of combat look like:

Code: Select all

You gain 17 Muscularity Points
You gain 19 Muscularity Points
You gain 14 Muscularity Points
Wanna guess which is which? T.T (As noted, I have to review whether there is some kind of order for the MP gains, as that would be a way to figure this out to a certain extend.)

salien
Pie in the Sky

Post by salien » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Hm... It sounds like this would all be fantastically easier to parse if Mafia logged the source alongside the gain, e.g.:

You gain 17 Muscularity Points from Spring Raindrop
You gain 19 Muscularity Points from navel ring of navel gazing
And so on. I'm guess that the capture and logging of MP gains in mafia right now is as simple as logging anything that matches an MP gain regex as-is, so even mafia might not have this info just yet; but it would certainly be much easier for them to capture it from the html than for you to guess (especially since, at least in every case I can think of, the html contains the source right before the gain message).

Before you go crazy trying to come up with hyper-intelligent parsing, let me suggest this as a feature enhancement to them. :)

Edit: Added the request here, if you want to watch/comment on it. :)

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:53 pm

I decided to postpone adding a MP gain report until I have done the parser rewrite, because I want to see whether there is anything going to happen on the KolMafia feature request thread front. (However unlikely it may be, considering a whopping total of three yes votes. >.>)

In the meantime, version 1.4.0 is up.

Changes from the last version include, but are not limited to:
- Yellow rays are now tracked and displayed in both the turn rundown and the summary at the end of textual logs. They are also present in the Misc section of the graphical log data view inside the program.
- A project news viewer to make it easier to be up-to-date on the newest developments of the project. This does not update the ALV to the newest version. It simply displays a table of all updates to the project since the version of the ALV that you are using was uploaded. This feature can be accessed through Help->Check Project News.

As always, check the SVN log if you want a more detailed list.

And as usual, any feedback, be it bug report, request, or just general comment will be appreciated.

HippoKing
Pie in the Sky

Post by HippoKing » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:15 pm

I don't know if it'll affect anything, but have you looked at the change in Mafia revision 7543

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:36 pm

HippoKing wrote:I don't know if it'll affect anything, but have you looked at the change in Mafia revision 7543
"All" that changes seems to do is make the session logs more accurate in regard to what actually happened. That's a very Good Thing and shouldn't require me to do anything, in fact it should mean that I'll have to do less error handling. :)

It does however not change anything in regards of how MP gains are logged.

HippoKing
Pie in the Sky

Post by HippoKing » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:08 am

This fails to parse given a log in which a Software Glitch is used. I put the information I have up as an issue on the google project page.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:11 pm

HippoKing wrote:This fails to parse given a log in which a Software Glitch is used. I put the information I have up as an issue on the google project page.
In case people didn't realise it from HippoKing posting his log, this is already fixed. :)

Also, I just want to say that this is the best bug of the ALV yet. Just think about it, the program failed because a "software glitch" was used. :lol: (sorry about the nerd humor, but this one was just too good to pass up ...)

zombiepops
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by zombiepops » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:25 pm

Flolle wrote:Also, I just want to say that this is the best bug of the ALV yet. Just think about it, the program failed because a "software glitch" was used. :lol: (sorry about the nerd humor, but this one was just too good to pass up ...)
I didn't realize that it was from using the item 'software glitch'. That's too cool (In a sick twisted kind of cool).
I'm brainy for Zombiepops!

HippoKing
Pie in the Sky

Post by HippoKing » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:18 am

Would it be possible to have the +stat breakdown a little more detailed so it's more hardcore useful? Take my current run, for example.

+STAT BREAKDOWN
----------
Need to gain level (last is total):                          	10	39	105	231	441	759	1209	1815	2601	3591	4809	6279	21904
Stainless Steel Scarf:                                  	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
C.A.R.N.I.V.O.R.E. Button:                              	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
Hockey Stick of Furious Angry Rage:                     	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
Hipposkin poncho:                                       	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
Grimacite gown:                                         	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
Spooky Putty mitre:                                     	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
Annoying pitchfork:                                     	0	0	5	3	10	55	46	45	41	34	26	0	268
Wax Lips:                                               	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
Little Box of Fireworks:                                	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
Ice Sickle:                                             	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
Pilgrim Shield:                                         	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
serpentine sword:                                       	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
snake shield:                                           	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
That doesn't say a lot. However, I was getting pretty huge quantities of extra stats from MCD, Ring of Aggravate Monster, Curmudgel and Goth Kid Shirt, all of which were ignored. If I had Ur-kel, it'd be even more pronounced.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:22 pm

Well, first off, I'm unhappy with how that printout looks when posted in forums, but sadly phpBB has some rather annoying tab handling for these cases and trying to fix it would break it for every text editor there is and be harder to implement too. :(

That aside, new items would be very possible to add as long as they have simple +XP/ML modifiers, but I'd like for people to get together and put something along the lines of a comprensive list of such items up before I add it. I'm sure there are more items than the ones you mentioned that would be interesting and I don't want to have to add them one at a time whenever a user asks me to.

But keep in mind that I don't want that list to end up longer than the turn rundown, so only items that would actually see some usage should be added, not every single +XP/ML item there is.

Also, MCD and effects are straight up out for now, because both are not tracked by the internal parser at the moment and it would be anything but easy to add such tracking.

jice
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by jice » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Flolle wrote:But keep in mind that I don't want that list to end up longer than the turn rundown, so only items that would actually see some usage should be added, not every single +XP/ML item there is.
Why not only put lines in for items that are actually making a difference? That way it would expect it to be short. Shorter than it is now, anyway. :)

HippoKing
Pie in the Sky

Post by HippoKing » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Here's a list of the non-included items I consider reasonably likely to see use in an ascension of mine:
  • Ring of Aggravate Monster
  • Goth Kid T-shirt
  • Rave Whistle
  • Magic Whistle
  • Spiky Turtle Helmet
  • Buoybottoms
  • Curmudgel
  • World's Smallest Violin
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Grumpy old man charrrm bracelet
If it becomes possible to consider effects:
  • Unpopular
  • Bilious
  • Grimace
  • Ur-Kel's Aria of Annoyance
Obviously that would make the list very, very long. However, it seems that it would make sense not to include a line which is all zeros. That would mean that for most ascensions, it'd be shorter than it currently is.

efb on the last point.

edit: there's also apples, but I imagine that being hell to track.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:26 pm

HippoKing wrote:Obviously that would make the list very, very long. However, it seems that it would make sense not to include a line which is all zeros. That would mean that for most ascensions, it'd be shorter than it currently is.
Very nice idea, that would make things far easier to handle and I can be far more lenient with the limit on how many items the list may contain. :)
HippoKing wrote:efb on the last point.
Er ... what's efb supposed to mean? Electronic Flight Bag? ;)
HippoKing wrote:edit: there's also apples, but I imagine that being hell to track.
Yeah, support for that is very, very far away, if I ever put it in.

HippoKing
Pie in the Sky

Post by HippoKing » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:58 pm

Flolle wrote:
HippoKing wrote:efb on the last point.
Er ... what's efb supposed to mean? Electronic Flight Bag? ;)
Edit: Fuck, Beaten

Basically, pointing that the guy who posted above me said what I wanted to say while I was writing my post :P

salien
Pie in the Sky

Post by salien » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 pm

Flolle wrote:
HippoKing wrote:edit: there's also apples, but I imagine that being hell to track.
Yeah, support for that is very, very far away, if I ever put it in.
Does apple tracking really need to happen ever? I mean, basically you just get 40 substats per apple summoned. Since you don't have to worry about noncombats, you basically just use them as soon as you don't need something else on the sword/crossbow, and the only way you'd get less than all 40 is if you lose the combat or manually peel off the sticker to put something else on, which should be rare enough as to not matter.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:34 am

salien wrote:Does apple tracking really need to happen ever? I mean, basically you just get 40 substats per apple summoned. Since you don't have to worry about noncombats, you basically just use them as soon as you don't need something else on the sword/crossbow, and the only way you'd get less than all 40 is if you lose the combat or manually peel off the sticker to put something else on, which should be rare enough as to not matter.
Would it be assumed that every apple sticker summoned = 40 stats? That fails in SC, because it takes 3 apple stickers to be worth replacing an ice sickle, and it costs a lot of MP to replace a katana for those turns. Any attempt to track when the sticker weapon is worn with an apple sticker on it would be difficult as pointed out. Even if you assume a summoned sticker = 40 stats, what level do you count it toward?
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

HippoKing
Pie in the Sky

Post by HippoKing » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Another request:
Could you make it track more sources of free runaways? In my last run, I had three sources of free runaways: snatch (20), popper (1) and green smoke bomb (5).

The visualizer only tracked my Snatch.

Thanks a lot for this, by the way.

Nomen Nescio
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Nomen Nescio » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:25 pm

There's also no tracking for v mask stats. At the very least you could just figure an average of +2 stats for every combat it's equipped, and if there's some way to tell if a combat ended with a critical hit and track those, that'd be awesome.

Also it's just occurred to me that it would be helpful, if possible, to track number of times beaten up and where it happened, perhaps in the bottlenecks section. It was one of the consistent problems I had in the run I just finished and I didn't think to write down when and why it happened.

Thanks for all your work on this, it's a fantastic tool.

salien
Pie in the Sky

Post by salien » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:13 pm

lostcalpolydude wrote:
salien wrote:Does apple tracking really need to happen ever? I mean, basically you just get 40 substats per apple summoned. Since you don't have to worry about noncombats, you basically just use them as soon as you don't need something else on the sword/crossbow, and the only way you'd get less than all 40 is if you lose the combat or manually peel off the sticker to put something else on, which should be rare enough as to not matter.
Would it be assumed that every apple sticker summoned = 40 stats? That fails in SC, because it takes 3 apple stickers to be worth replacing an ice sickle, and it costs a lot of MP to replace a katana for those turns. Any attempt to track when the sticker weapon is worn with an apple sticker on it would be difficult as pointed out. Even if you assume a summoned sticker = 40 stats, what level do you count it toward?
Well, the point I was actually trying to make is that it isn't worth having the visualizer incorporate apple stats into its reporting because it's pretty easy to figure out yourself, not trying to suggest a workable way of including them. :)

Also, I second the V-mask request, especially if the critical tracking is easy (though I'm relatively certain it would be anything but). Even just counting it for 2 points would be helpful, though.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:48 pm

HippoKing wrote:Thanks a lot for this, by the way.
Nomen Nescio wrote:Thanks for all your work on this, it's a fantastic tool.
I do what I can. :)

HippoKing wrote:Another request:
Could you make it track more sources of free runaways? In my last run, I had three sources of free runaways: snatch (20), popper (1) and green smoke bomb (5).

The visualizer only tracked my Snatch.
A rimshot first, because the line is too good: You might wanna reconsider the wording of that last sentence. ;)

Now more seriously, adding the Divine Popper wouldn't be much work at all, but the Green Smoke Bomb on the other hand has the problem of not being tracked by mafia whether it's usage was successful or not. It would still be possible to add though. I guess, I can look at it a little more. However, I have to ask whether green smoke bombs are used that often in runs, seeing as they are only available from level 12 upwards? Because as noted before, I do not want to add every single thing there is to the program if it isn't helpful to >90% of the users (the question goes to everyone who wants to comment, not just HippoKing).

Nomen Nescio wrote:There's also no tracking for v mask stats. At the very least you could just figure an average of +2 stats for every combat it's equipped, and if there's some way to tell if a combat ended with a critical hit and track those, that'd be awesome.
salien wrote:Also, I second the V-mask request, especially if the critical tracking is easy (though I'm relatively certain it would be anything but). Even just counting it for 2 points would be helpful, though.
First off, the +XP from critical hits are impossible to track currently, because mafia doesn't track critical hits.

That said, to say the truth, since I had to pull the RNG-chart I'm very adverse to putting knowingly wrong/easily misunderstood numbers into the program. While some people will know how to read the v mask stats, others who haven't read this thread will not. I have personally decided for me that if the decision is between given inaccurate numbers and no numbers at all, the second option seems better, which is why I won't add the v mask.

However, it will be very easy to add items to the +STAT BREAKDOWN for users in future versions of the program, because there will be a data file in {user.home}/.ascensionLogVisualizer/logVisualizerData/koldata/ that you can edit if you are so inclined. I would however recommend to state what values you used for the items you added if you post the logs in forums.

Nomen Nescio wrote:Also it's just occurred to me that it would be helpful, if possible, to track number of times beaten up and where it happened, perhaps in the bottlenecks section. It was one of the consistent problems I had in the run I just finished and I didn't think to write down when and why it happened.
I'd like to help here, but sadly kolmafia doesn't track whether you lose a fight, or at least didn't do so the last time I checked. I don't have any turns left right now, so I can't check, but if mafia hasn't changed it's behaviour, I won't add this feature. Sorry.

salien wrote:Well, the point I was actually trying to make is that it isn't worth having the visualizer incorporate apple stats into its reporting because it's pretty easy to figure out yourself, not trying to suggest a workable way of including them. :)
I understood the point you were trying to make on the first time and I am mostly agreeing with it. But even if I didn't, it wouldn't really make much of a difference, because as I said, apple sticker handling is very, very, very far off, if I ever implement it. ;)

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Couldn't you look for when a combat doesn't give stats? Or acquired beaten up? Mafia tracks effects, right?

Nomen Nescio
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Nomen Nescio » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:35 pm

Flolle wrote: First off, the +XP from critical hits are impossible to track currently, because mafia doesn't track critical hits.
I suspected as much, since I couldn't find anything to indicate a crit in my raw mafia logs. Thought I'd ask anyway.
Flolle wrote: That said, to say the truth, since I had to pull the RNG-chart I'm very adverse to putting knowingly wrong/easily misunderstood numbers into the program. While some people will know how to read the v mask stats, others who haven't read this thread will not. I have personally decided for me that if the decision is between given inaccurate numbers and no numbers at all, the second option seems better, which is why I won't add the v mask.

However, it will be very easy to add items to the +STAT BREAKDOWN for users in future versions of the program, because there will be a data file in {user.home}/.ascensionLogVisualizer/logVisualizerData/koldata/ that you can edit if you are so inclined. I would however recommend to state what values you used for the items you added if you post the logs in forums.
That's certainly understandable, but a data file sound great. I think there are a couple other Mac users around here so you may not, but let me know if you ever need Mac testing for anything.
Flolle wrote: I'd like to help here, but sadly kolmafia doesn't track whether you lose a fight, or at least didn't do so the last time I checked. I don't have any turns left right now, so I can't check, but if mafia hasn't changed it's behaviour, I won't add this feature. Sorry.
My logs have combats ending with "You lose X hit points" instead of gaining stats as well as "You lose an effect: Beaten Up" after I get rid of it. Is that enough?

HippoKing
Pie in the Sky

Post by HippoKing » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:39 am

stupac2 wrote:Couldn't you look for when a combat doesn't give stats? Or acquired beaten up? Mafia tracks effects, right?
Or when the turn number is reused?

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:59 am

HippoKing wrote:
stupac2 wrote:Couldn't you look for when a combat doesn't give stats? Or acquired beaten up? Mafia tracks effects, right?
Why would turn number be resused?

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:04 am

The tracking through stat gains would be too ambiguous, because there are also items that give stats when used during combats.

As for checking for getting Beaten Up: KolMafia tracks many effects, but acquiring Beaten Up is not among them.

Nomen Nescio wrote:My logs have combats ending with "You lose X hit points" instead of gaining stats as well as "You lose an effect: Beaten Up" after I get rid of it. Is that enough?
The "You lose an effect: Beaten Up" isn't really helpful because it doesn't happen at the end of the combat and you can aquire Beaten Up from different sources than combat.

I did manage to make use of the "You lose X hit points" line though. Originally, checking for this was too error prone and complicated to be worth the effort*, but I finished the internal parser rewrite today and it is actually not too hard to do now thanks to that. So yeah, a list of combats you lost will be present in the bottlenecks summary with the next release. :)

*In case you haven't dealt with reading files in programmatically with Java and are interested in it: You can't just go and jump from one line to another, you have to read the file line for line, top to bottom. The only way of "jumping" through it is to set a mark at some point so that you are able to jump back to it, but that mark is limited to a certain amount of characters that you specify but don't to want to set too high due to the memory demands it entails. Anything beyond that has to be written by yourself. So any time you want to check for a specific line somewhere down in the file, things get a little complicated, especially when you still have to correctly parse the lines inbetween.

This description was Java specific, but from what I saw from other programming languages, they aren't much different in this regard.

HippoKing
Pie in the Sky

Post by HippoKing » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:28 pm

stupac2 wrote:
HippoKing wrote:
If you use a free runaway, you get two entries for the turn number.

For example, one of my GSB'd combats:

[941] Sorceress Tower: Level 1
Encounter: malevolent crop circle
Round 0: hippoking wins initiative!
Round 0: Buttes hums a snatch of Ode to Booze and hiccoughs loudly.
Round 1: hippoking uses the green smoke bomb!
Next turn is:

[941] Oasis in the Desert
Encounter: Glug, Glug, Glug
You acquire an effect: Ultrahydrated (duration: 5 Adventures)
If the GSB had failed, Oasis turn would be turn 942. That's what I mean by reused turn numbers.

As for whether GSBs are generally used, I don't really know. I can't imagine why people wouldn't use them, as you're pretty much guaranteed to get a couple and they are turns saved.

stupac2
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by stupac2 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:37 pm

I thought we were talking about tracking beaten up, not free runs.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:50 pm

HippoKing wrote:
stupac2 wrote:
HippoKing wrote: Or when the turn number is reused?
If you use a free runaway, you get two entries for the turn number.
I believe stupac2 was talking about tracking whether combats were lost or not and not how one would go about recognising successful green smoke bomb usage. :)

EDIT: Beaten by stupac2. But I swear his post wasn't there when I started mine! :U

HippoKing wrote:For example, one of my GSB'd combats:

[941] Sorceress Tower: Level 1
Encounter: malevolent crop circle
Round 0: hippoking wins initiative!
Round 0: Buttes hums a snatch of Ode to Booze and hiccoughs loudly.
Round 1: hippoking uses the green smoke bomb!
Next turn is:

[941] Oasis in the Desert
Encounter: Glug, Glug, Glug
You acquire an effect: Ultrahydrated (duration: 5 Adventures)
If the GSB had failed, Oasis turn would be turn 942. That's what I mean by reused turn numbers.
Doing it this way introduces a whole truckload of possible problems and side cases, and I'm not going to do it again after I had to do it for the Navel ring unless there is an item with similar usefulness.

But don't worry about recognition of successful green smoke bomb usage, that is already covered if this feature is really wanted. :)

HippoKing wrote:As for whether GSBs are generally used, I don't really know. I can't imagine why people wouldn't use them, as you're pretty much guaranteed to get a couple and they are turns saved.
Well, I'm not doubting that someone would use them if they fell into their lap, but I'm wondering how often that is the case, because a drop rate of 5% for two items for a combat that you usually see 2-3 times during an ascension in a place where you'd usually want to use a stat familiar doesn't equal "guaranteed to get a couple" in my opinion.

But maybe I'm just too much out of the loop on ascension tactics currently. Which is why I would very much like others to weigh in on the matter, because at the moment it looks like there is one user who would like this and everyone else doesn't care. And that's just not enough for me to add more complexity to the encounter parser.

Elayne
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Elayne » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:02 pm

Flolle wrote:Well, I'm not doubting that someone would use them if they fell into their lap, but I'm wondering how often that is the case, because a drop rate of 5% for two items for a combat that you usually see 2-3 times during an ascension in a place where you'd usually want to use a stat familiar doesn't equal "guaranteed to get a couple" in my opinion.

But maybe I'm just too much out of the loop on ascension tactics currently. Which is why I would very much like others to weigh in on the matter, because at the moment it looks like there is one user who would like this and everyone else doesn't care. And that's just not enough for me to add more complexity to the encounter parser.
IMO, it's too niche. Yes you may get one or two in an ascension, but even then it's still an "if you get one." Besides, would it really matter much if the visualizer logs smoke bomb usage?
I used to have a softcore multi. But now, it's just HC4L. Elayne.

Fred Nefler
AFH

Post by Fred Nefler » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:46 pm

As far as the beaten-up/lost fight issue goes, I'll just request that they add logging of that into mafia.

salien
Pie in the Sky

Post by salien » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:28 pm

This version (1.4.1) is having some weird issue with doubling up some drops I got; for instance, this section of my log:

[820] Hole in the Sky
Encounter: The Axe Wound
Round 0: salien wins initiative!
Round 1: salien tries to steal an item! (auto-attack)
You lose 19 hit points
Round 2: salien casts ENTANGLING NOODLES!
Round 3: salien uses the rock band flyers and uses the turtle totem!
Round 3: the axe wound takes 1 damage.
Round 4: salien attacks!
Round 4: the axe wound takes 45 damage.
Round 5: salien attacks!
Round 5: the axe wound takes 48 damage.
Round 6: salien attacks!
Round 6: the axe wound takes 41 damage.
Round 7: salien attacks!
Round 7: A smile crosses I Can See Through Time's serene countenance.
Round 7: the axe wound takes 38 damage.
You acquire an item: star
You acquire an item: line
You gain 13 Strengthliness
You gain a Muscle point!
You gain 16 Enchantedness
You gain 32 Cheek
outfit Frat Warrior Fatigues

bigisland.php?place=concert
bigisland.php?place=concert
custom outfit Your Previous Outfit

[821] Hole in the Sky
Encounter: The Astronomer
Round 0: salien loses initiative!
Round 1: salien casts ENTANGLING NOODLES!
Round 2: salien casts TRANSCENDENT OLFACTION!
Round 2: I Can See Through Time spits on your opponent.  Yech.
You acquire an effect: On the Trail (duration: 40 Adventures)
Round 3: salien attacks!
Round 3: the astronomer takes 47 damage.
Round 4: salien attacks!
Round 4: the astronomer takes 56 damage.
Round 5: salien attacks!
Round 5: the astronomer takes 46 damage.
Round 6: salien attacks!
Round 6: A smile crosses I Can See Through Time's serene countenance.
Round 6: the astronomer takes 49 damage.
You acquire an item: star chart
You gain 16 Beefiness
You gain 11 Wizardliness
You gain 34 Sarcasm

visit Bounty Hunter Hunter
Resulted in this when parsed:

[800-821] Hole in the Sky [289,299,735]
     +> [811] Got llama lama gong
     +> [812] Got llama lama gong
     +> [820] Got star chart
     +> [821] Got star chart
     *> [821] Started hunting The Astronomer
(Those gong drops are doubled, too, I got a single gong on turn 812.)

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:04 pm

Hmm, I can't reproduce the error here with that snipped you gave. Could you post a bigger one (or send it per pm or e-mail)?

Also (working on a hunch here), did you spent turns at the HitS with a rollover inbetween? In that case I would need the turns from both days.

salien
Pie in the Sky

Post by salien » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:57 pm

Okay, I emailed the full set of logs for the whole run, just in case. And your hunch is accurate, I did adventure in the HitS on day 4 and 5 of that run. 55 freakin' turns... That'll teach me to not olfact the first astronomer.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:03 am

Alright, found and squashed the bug. The fix will be available in the next release. :)

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:35 am

The Ascension Log Visualizer version 2.0.0 has been released.

- The internal mafia session log parser has been partly rewritten to be more robust and make it easier to access the data inside logs.
- The +STAT BREAKDOWN summary will only display items that actually gave stats. Also, there are now far more items that are tracked, plus, users can edit the the item list in {userhome}/.ascensionLogVisualizer/logVisualizerData/koldata/statsItems.txt if they want to.
- There is now a list of lost combats and their turn numbers in the BOTTLENECKS summary.
- A detailed log viewer has been added to give users access to more detailed data on turn intervals and single turns. It can be accessed through Extra->Detailed Log Viewer.
- Added an MP gains report as a chart, a summary in textual logs and in the detailed log viewer for turn intervals and single turns.
- Divine poppers are added to the sources of free runaways.
- Internal project organization: The project now uses Mercurial as its software revision control tool. If you were accessing the source code of the project with Subversion, you will have to update to access newer changes. The old repository is still there, but there won't be any commits anymore.

As always, check the source repository log if you want a more detailed list.

Anyone who used any of the previous releases of the ALV should on the first startup of this release recreate the data files through Extra->Recreate data files and then restart the program. If you made manual changes to the files, you will have to add them again afterwards.

As usual, any feedback, be it bug report, request, or just general comment will be appreciated, especially for features that were newly introduced. Since the internal parser was rewritten in parts, it is always possible that it doesn't work as good as it could yet, so do not shy away from reporting problems.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:11 pm

The Ascension Log Visualizer version 2.1.0 has been released.

- Turned on line wrapping for text areas in the project news viewer and Notetaker. Huzzah for no more ugly ass horizontal scrollbars!
- Added a new feature to the Notetaker: Whenever a user tries to start the Notetaker, there will be a little options dialog shown that will give the user the possibility to limit the log to a single day to use inside the Notetaker. Also, only the specific data of that day will be saved to a log file when a user uses the save option inside the Notetaker.

As usual, any feedback, be it bug report, request, or just general comment will be appreciated, especially for features that were newly introduced.

And as a little extra, I put a short screencast of version 2.0.0 up on the download page a couple of days ago to showcase features of the ALV. Maybe you want to take a look at it or point people who aren't already using the ALV to it so that they can see with their own eyes what they are missing. ;)

deusnoctum
Statistically likely to return

Post by deusnoctum » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:20 pm

There was a feature in QN's old Perl parser that I'd like to see in the ALV for in-run note-taking. Any line in the log that started with "Note: " was passed through to the parsed logs with (/code) (code) tags around it. ("Note: 1-turn tavern!" -> "(/code)1 turn tavern!(code)") This way, you could use a mafia alias to easily add a note directly to your log, and it would then show up, properly formatted, in the postable log without any other user intervention. Any chance we could see this in the next release?

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:27 pm

That feature is already supported. :)

See this page, under Include mafia log notes. You just have to turn it on in the ALV, since it's off by default.

However, I just noticed that I broke this in the 2.0 rewrite, so if you want to use this, you'll have to download the freshly out 2.1.3 version.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Re: Ascension Log Visualizer

Post by Flolle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:26 pm

Alright, this took long enough, but it's not like I'm getting paid for this, so sometimes other stuff takes precedence. Although it still annoyed me that there wasn't a new release for so long, because I aspire to make one feature release per month or thereabout.

But on with the show now: The Ascension Log Visualizer version 2.3.0 has been released.

- An update checker has been implemented that tests whether you are using the most recent uploaded version of the program and tells you if you do not. This feature can be turned off by unchecking Help->Automatically check for newer versions
- The MEAT summary is now far more detailed. However, this summary uses the meat spent data that KolMafia started logging only relatively recently, so I'm not totally sure which meat spendings mafia logs and which it doesn't. User feedback would be appreciated in that regard.
- The Notetaker has seen a moderate face-lift that hopefully makes it more "natural" to use.
- There are two new textual log outputs that use syntax highlighting: HTML and BBCode. The format of those outputs is still preliminary, so user feedback is very much wanted. Also, user customisation is currently not possible, although it is already on the to-do list (but that shouldn't hold back any feedback, the defaults are supposed to be good too after all). You can save logs in the new formats from inside the Notetaker.

Anyone who used any of the previous releases of the ALV should on the first startup of this release recreate the data files through Extra->Recreate data files and then restart the program. If you made manual changes to the files, you will have to add them again afterwards.

As usual, any feedback, be it bug report, request, or just general comment will be appreciated, especially for features that were newly introduced.
Last edited by Flolle on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Here is an example (only one day) for the BBCode to give you an idea what to expect from the new formats. The corresponding HTML output can be viewed here.

NEW Accordion Thief ASCENSION STARTED 20090320
------------------------------

This log was created by the Ascension Log Visualizer 2.3.0.
The basic idea and the format of this parser have been burrowed from the AFH MafiaLog Parser by VladimirPootin and QuantumNightmare.

===Day 1===

[0] Ascension Start [0,0,0]
-> Turn [0] Llama Lama
[1-2] Guild Challenge [0,0,0]
+> [2] Got ten-leaf clover
[3] Lemon Party [0,0,0]
[4] Unlucky Sewer [0,0,0]
+> [4] Got worthless gewgaw
[5-6] Haunted Pantry [6,2,21]
+> [5] Got orange candy heart, orange candy heart, pink candy heart, pink candy heart
+> [5] Got scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff apple sticker, scratch 'n' sniff apple sticker, scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker
+> [5] Got scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker, scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker, scratch 'n' sniff unicorn sticker, scratch 'n' sniff wrestler sticker
+> [5] Got scratch 'n' sniff wrestler sticker
+> [6] Got llama lama gong
o> Used 2 giant moxie weed [0,0,16]
=> Level 2 (Turn 6)! (3/3/7)
Witty comment.
[7-26] Spooky Forest [33,26,71]
+> [8] Got turtle totem
+> [16] Got llama lama gong
+> [17] Got Spooky Temple map
+> [18] Got spices
+> [19] Got mosquito larva
+> [20] Got spooky sapling
+> [26] Got filthy lucre
*> [10] Started hunting triffid
=> Level 3 (Turn 9)! (4/4/8)
[27-39] Typical Tavern Quest [34,32,90]
+> [28] Got coconut shell, little paper umbrella, little paper umbrella, little paper umbrella
+> [28] Got llama lama gong, magical ice cubes
+> [34] Got bottle of vodka
+> [35] Got llama lama gong
+> [36] Got glimmering roc feather
o> Ate 1 fortune cookie (1 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
o> Used 1 glimmering roc feather (8 adventures gained) [20,21,32]
-> Turn [36] Spirit Hobo
=> Level 4 (Turn 32)! (8/7/13)
More witty comments.
[40] Mix 1 strawberry daiquiri + 1 magical ice cubes [0,0,0]
-> Turn [40] Frumious Bandersnatch
[41-44] Barrel Full of Barrels [0,0,0]
o> Drank 1 perpendicular hula (18 adventures gained) [0,0,43]
-> Turn [43] Green Pixie
[45-50] Fun House [12,8,26]
+> [46] Got tiny bottle of absinthe
+> [50] Got glimmering roc feather
o> Used 1 glimmering roc feather (10 adventures gained) [29,20,27]
[51-60] Guano Junction [20,21,48]
+> [53] Got sonar-in-a-biscuit
+> [56] Got tiny bottle of absinthe
+> [57] Got baseball
+> [58] Got tiny bottle of absinthe
+> [59] Got sonar-in-a-biscuit
+> [60] Got sonar-in-a-biscuit
-> Turn [52] Spirit Hobo
-> Turn [54] Green Pixie
-> Turn [60] Frumious Bandersnatch
Slight worries.
[61-63] Stately Pleasure Dome [4,7,17]
-> Turn [63] Green Pixie
=> Level 5 (Turn 62)! (12/12/20)
[64] Guano Junction [1,2,5]
+> [64] Got sonar-in-a-biscuit
-> Turn [64] Frumious Bandersnatch
[65] Mouldering Mansion [0,0,0]
[66-68] 8-Bit Realm [10,10,21]
[69] Rogue Windmill [0,0,0]
+> [69] Got not-a-pipe
o> Used 1 not-a-pipe (12 adventures gained) [26,29,26]
[70-85] 8-Bit Realm [56,43,133]
*> [70] Started hunting Blooper
-> Turn [82] Spirit Hobo
[86] Mix 1 little paper umbrella + 1 whiskey and soda [0,0,0]
o> Drank 1 Oreille Divis�e brandy (16 adventures gained) [16,22,28]
o> Drank 1 roll in the hay (13 adventures gained) [0,34,0]
[87-90] 8-Bit Realm [15,13,36]
-> Turn [87] Frumious Bandersnatch
-> Turn [90] Green Pixie
[91] Beanbat Chamber [5,11,13]
+> [91] Got enchanted bean, tiny bottle of absinthe
-> Turn [91] Cymbal-Playing Monkey
[93-97] Boss Bat's Lair [21,8,50]
+> [97] Got Boss Bat bandana, Boss Bat britches
-> Turn [97] Green Pixie
[98-104] Fun House [14,14,37]
+> [98] Got bottle of rum, bottle of tequila, bottle of whiskey
+> [101] Got box
+> [104] Got box, disease
-> Turn [103] Mad Hatrack
[105-113] Haunted Pantry [16,18,53]
+> [105] Got razor-sharp can lid
More pessimism.
[114-117] Haunted Billiards Room [11,7,29]
+> [115] Got pool cue
[118] Outskirts of The Knob [0,0,0]
#> [118] Semirare: Lunchboxing
o> Ate 2 Knob pasty (14 adventures gained) [11,11,13]
=> Level 6 (Turn 118)! (19/19/29)
Pessimistic optimism.
[119-123] Dark Neck of the Woods [21,8,28]
*> [121] Started hunting Hellion
-> Turn [123] Gluttonous Green Ghost
[124-128] Dark Elbow of the Woods [11,14,36]
[129] Cook [0,0,0]
o> Ate 1 Hell ramen (27 adventures gained) [23,26,35]
[131-132] Dark Elbow of the Woods [4,1,15]
+> [132] Got eldritch butterknife
[133-143] Dark Heart of the Woods [24,29,85]
+> [143] Got box of birthday candles
-> Turn [138] Frumious Bandersnatch
-> Turn [142] Gluttonous Green Ghost
[144-149] Dark Neck of the Woods [19,22,63]
+> [149] Got dodecagram
-> Turn [148] Frumious Bandersnatch
Optimism!
[150] Cook [0,0,0]
o> Ate 1 Hell ramen (26 adventures gained) [24,23,30]
[152-179] Friar's Gate [104,96,311]
+> [158] Got ruby W
+> [161] Got Azazel's unicorn
+> [162] Got wussiness potion
+> [168] Got Azazel's lollipop
+> [178] Got Azazel's tutu
+> [179] Got steel margarita
o> Drank 2 Imp Ale (5 adventures gained) [18,0,-33]
o> Used 1 Mariner's Friend cough drops [11,0,0]
o> Drank 1 thermos full of Knob coffee (8 adventures gained) [6,5,7]
-> Turn [152] Gluttonous Green Ghost
-> Turn [155] Mad Hatrack
-> Turn [161] Frumious Bandersnatch
-> Turn [162] Spirit Hobo
-> Turn [163] Mad Hatrack
-> Turn [169] Spirit Hobo
-> Turn [170] Mad Hatrack
-> Turn [173] Spirit Hobo
-> Turn [176] Mad Hatrack
-> Turn [179] Frumious Bandersnatch
&> 3 / 3 free retreats
Happiness! Optimistic attitude unkowning of what is yet to come. T.T
[180-184] Outskirts of The Knob [4,8,25]
+> [181] Got glimmering roc feather
-> Turn [182] Spirit Hobo
[185-188] Unlucky Sewer [0,0,0]
+> [185] Got stolen accordion
+> [186] Got worthless knick-knack
+> [187] Got worthless trinket
+> [188] Got ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover, worthless trinket
-> Turn [188] Frumious Bandersnatch
[189-195] Outskirts of The Knob [1,3,18]
+> [195] Got Knob Goblin encryption key
-> Turn [189] Mad Hatrack
&> 1 / 1 free retreats
[196] Mix 1 bottle of Definit + 1 tonic water [0,0,0]
[197] Mix 1 vodka and tonic + 1 little paper umbrella [0,0,0]
+> [197] Got scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff apple sticker, scratch 'n' sniff dragon sticker
+> [197] Got scratch 'n' sniff dragon sticker, scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker, scratch 'n' sniff unicorn sticker, scratch 'n' sniff unicorn sticker
+> [197] Got scratch 'n' sniff wrestler sticker
o> Drank 1 yellow brick road (21 adventures gained) [0,46,0]
-> Turn [197] Green Pixie

Turn rundown finished!

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:47 pm

That looks like an awesome update, thanks Flolle!

(Also, I enjoyed the "witty comment/pessimistic optimism" placeholders. Much funnier than your standard lorem ipsum.)

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:22 pm

One of the features I thought was really cool when you originally rolled this out was the by-area standard deviation graph. That is: it took you 44 turns to clear the Cypt, but the average expected is 22 turns.

It gave a really nice sense of where the RNG screw was.

I believe you took it out because people didn't understand it -- but I wish you'd bring it back.

Also, re: colors -- you might want to not color _everything_, but instead only color things that are usually important (quest drops, super-likely, tower drops, etc), rather than every monster name etc. It makes it a bit hard to read when everything is color coded.

* then again, I code in VIm w/o syntax coloring

Thanks for the great tool.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:35 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:I believe you took it out because people didn't understand it -- but I wish you'd bring it back.
I'm pretty sure it was taken out because the average depends on too many variables. Take Sonofa Beach, for example. The average depends on whether you have musk, cantata, a hound dog, any reodorant, ballroom song set to +noncom, and access to spooky putty. Now imagine at least half that many variables for most zones. And these values keep changing as new skills/IotM are added.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Re:

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Flolle wrote:Concerning the numbers of the QuestRNG chart, I'll first point towards the the documentation.

I think I did calculate the pyramid based on the noncombats, but I also think that numbers from farming tomb ratchets weren't that far away.

But this just makes it obvious that the QuestRNG chart doesn't use a good design, since this isn't the first time there were misunderstandings concerning that chart. I think it might be better to just remove the RNG ranges and simply display turns needed to finish the quests. There are simply too many variables that can change the expected turn count to use static values and calculating this dynamically is just not feasible in my opinion.
I guess it was a little of both, but I can see the complication. Obviously, the problem is worse in SC. I thought HC would be stable enough to keep up with. You'd probably just track average based on skills, fams and ballroom buff. Items picked and their affect could be left as an exercise for the reader.

Anyway, I thought it was the most useful part of the program -- though I guess a maintained log parser is now.

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:38 am

Flolle wrote:As usual, any feedback, be it bug report, request, or just general comment will be appreciated, especially for features that were newly introduced.
Even though I don't use mafia at the moment, I like this colorfulness. It seems like it will make logs "easier" for me to read and process, so yay. :)

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:08 am

I agree! There have been lots of times when I had to go back and look carefully to find which familiar they were using, etc., so this will be nice. Thanks, Flolle.

Elayne
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Elayne » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:48 am

Just tried it out, and I like the changes. Thank you, Flolle!

Draco Cracona
Gatekeeper of Hell

Post by Draco Cracona » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:08 am

tiv wrote:
Flolle wrote:As usual, any feedback, be it bug report, request, or just general comment will be appreciated, especially for features that were newly introduced.
Even though I don't use mafia at the moment, I like this colorfulness. It seems like it will make logs "easier" for me to read and process, so yay. :)
Regardless of if you use mafia or not, making the logs that most people use easier to read can never be a bad thing. This makes it a lot easier to see what's happened (one of the reasons I don't like the parsed logs is that it's always seemed hard to find stuff, especially familiar usage, which gets me every time- it's counterintuitive to have it after the adventures spent with it. The other main reason is that I don't like summonables being lumped in with combat drops, which is more of a personal preference). Thanks :)

Friederike
Pie in the Sky

Post by Friederike » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Yay funky colors and thanks for doing this.

I've noticed that the quest turn chart uses different numbers than the quest turn summary in places. Like, for example, the summary says Orc Chasm quest: 18, and the chart shows 1.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:00 pm

NardoLoopa wrote:One of the features I thought was really cool when you originally rolled this out was the by-area standard deviation graph. That is: it took you 44 turns to clear the Cypt, but the average expected is 22 turns.

It gave a really nice sense of where the RNG screw was.

I believe you took it out because people didn't understand it -- but I wish you'd bring it back.
First, I must say that I really liked the idea behind that chart and how it looked. But it came to me later, while seeing how people used it, that it just didn't work as intended.

As was noted in later posts, it was a function of people not understanding what the numbers the way they were used up until then meant and didn't mean, and the problems it would introduce to make those numbers be what people thought they were from the start. For example, for decked out softcore characters, those charts did not show you whether you got hosed by the RNG, because the base values were very different.

Basically, for that chart to work as the users expect it to work, the program would need to calculate the base RNG values based on your available skills and used buffs, which would have been a pretty big mess to code. And this isn't even considering what pulls, free runaways and yellow rays would mean for such calculations.

I decided first that I'd rather give no numbers than knowingly wrong numbers and after reviewing what would have been necessary to give the right numbers, decided that the added amount of complexity simply wasn't worth it. So in the end, I went with the raw turns needed per quest. That way, users can at least calculate this stuff on their own based on what they used in the run if they want to.

NardoLoopa wrote:Also, re: colors -- you might want to not color _everything_, but instead only color things that are usually important (quest drops, super-likely, tower drops, etc), rather than every monster name etc. It makes it a bit hard to read when everything is color coded.

Yeah, I was wondering whether colouring all itemdrops was overdoing it a little, but from the looks of it, all the others that have voiced their opinion so far seem to like it the way it is, so it might actually be OK. I'll continue to listen to the feedback on this.

BTW, and this goes to everyone, I'm not only looking for general "this was a good/bad idea" kind of feedback (although my ego certainly isn't complaining right now ;)), but also for stuff such as whether the used colours and usage of bold letters are good/are bad and should be changed to such and such.

Friederike wrote:I've noticed that the quest turn chart uses different numbers than the quest turn summary in places. Like, for example, the summary says Orc Chasm quest: 18, and the chart shows 1.
That ... shouldn't happen, ever. :|

Are you creating the log report directly from mafia session logs or from a pre-parsed log? Either way, that ... shouldn't happen, because all the quest turncount calculator does for the Orc Chasm is counting all turns spent in the Orc Chasm, which makes me wonder how this could fail. Would you be willing to send me the logs so I can poke them?

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:53 pm

The only issue I had is that the blue doesn't show up very well on the Black Pearl style. However, only like two people use that (including me), and I just wrote a greasemonkey script to use a different style whenever I view topics in this part of the forum, so that isn't an issue any more. (If any other users of that style want the script, let me know.)

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Flolle wrote:
NardoLoopa wrote:Also, re: colors -- you might want to not color _everything_, but instead only color things that are usually important (quest drops, super-likely, tower drops, etc), rather than every monster name etc. It makes it a bit hard to read when everything is color coded.

Yeah, I was wondering whether colouring all itemdrops was overdoing it a little, but from the looks of it, all the others that have voiced their opinion so far seem to like it the way it is, so it might actually be OK. I'll continue to listen to the feedback on this.
I was so excited for actual colors, that I wasn't concerned with whether the colors worked well together. I'd think that key things, like Nardo mentioned (quest drops, etc) and familiar usage and such are nice in color, the other stuff is not a necessity. Part of the reason I don't read mafia logs is that the use of the code tags makes it difficult for me to read... there was not enough contrast between font and background. So any contrast is good for me, especially in those key areas.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:26 pm

Unfortunately, the solution to making peoples eyes bleed with color is to put in a config screen so people can dictate the colors of certain things they want to highlight. My general point of too much color is basically like when you see some college student highlighting all the important parts of a text book -- only to end up with 80% of the page highlights.

Another alternative to things like highlighting the name of familiars is to highlight the '->' that indicates a switch, but not the name. It's less obtrusive but still easy to find with the eye.

Since you're pumping out BBcode, you might encourage comments to be added to the log by providing opening and closing tags for the user to easily add comments to their post. They would all be empty by default, of course.

btw: the nice thing about the RNG screw page was that even if you didn't realize you were looking at the unadulterated turns for a particular section, instead of what your cornbeefadoned turns should have been, if you are above the upper bounds you most certainly got screwed. :ROttingFLesh:

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:32 am

NardoLoopa wrote:Unfortunately, the solution to making peoples eyes bleed with color is to put in a config screen so people can dictate the colors of certain things they want to highlight. My general point of too much color is basically like when you see some college student highlighting all the important parts of a text book -- only to end up with 80% of the page highlights.
Flolle wrote:Also, user customisation is currently not possible, although it is already on the to-do list (but that shouldn't hold back any feedback, the defaults are supposed to be good too after all).
I'm obviously way ahead of you. ;)

NardoLoopa wrote:Another alternative to things like highlighting the name of familiars is to highlight the '->' that indicates a switch, but not the name. It's less obtrusive but still easy to find with the eye.
I tried that at first, but it was almost not possible to notice, especially in the HTML output (and HTML and BBCode colour code are the same).

NardoLoopa wrote:Since you're pumping out BBcode, you might encourage comments to be added to the log by providing opening and closing tags for the user to easily add comments to their post. They would all be empty by default, of course.
That was basically implemented with the Notetaker interface a couple of months ago. It used to put the log into code-tags and the comments in between, but it uses quotes for the BBCode output since the code-tag doesn't allow BBCode (you'll be able to use other tags/markers of your choice once the above mentioned customisation is in). For example, the comments from the above exemplary log were added through the Notetaker.

NardoLoopa wrote:btw: the nice thing about the RNG screw page was that even if you didn't realize you were looking at the unadulterated turns for a particular section, instead of what your cornbeefadoned turns should have been, if you are above the upper bounds you most certainly got screwed. :ROttingFLesh:
Yeah well, the old page with the numbers that were used is still and will continue to be online, so nothing stopping you from checking your RNG-hosing yourself. :P

Friederike
Pie in the Sky

Post by Friederike » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:56 am

Flolle wrote:Are you creating the log report directly from mafia session logs or from a pre-parsed log? Either way, that ... shouldn't happen, because all the quest turncount calculator does for the Orc Chasm is counting all turns spent in the Orc Chasm, which makes me wonder how this could fail. Would you be willing to send me the logs so I can poke them?
I parsed it with the visualizer, but the parsed log gets the turncount right in the summary, too. If you tell me where to send it, you can have the raw logs, parsed log, and a screenshot of how it messes up. :)

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:13 am

Friederike wrote:I parsed it with the visualizer, but the parsed log gets the turncount right in the summary, too. If you tell me where to send it, you can have the raw logs, parsed log, and a screenshot of how it messes up. :)
Alright, this should be fixed now with version 2.3.4. Also, this will give me the chance to see how people will react to the new update notification. :D

failed2k
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by failed2k » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm trying to prepare for the upcoming under 30 skills contest, and i'm having a issue where whenever I try to open the logvisualizer(or any other .jar) I get a error from Java Virtual Machine Launcher saying "Could not find the main class. Program will exit". I've had this problem with .jar files ever since I built a new system and put windows 7 on it(my old windows xp box does not have any troubles with .jar's) I run the .exe version of mafia without trouble for example, but the daily builds give me this same error.

Any help would be appriciated I've tried a few things now, but i am not particularly computer savy(I'm not terrible tho in that same regard) so maybe someone can lay something out for me that would help in a fairly simple manner?

Huge thanks in advance for ANY help on the issue.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:55 pm

Hmm, sounds as if your file link for jar files seems to be messed up. At least, whenever you try to start a jar with just the java command instead of the correct java -jar, you'd get that error message.

Someone else had these problems too, whether it was for the same reasons is up for debate (probably not, that one was most likely related to WinRAR). I'll post my PMs to him.
Hi!

How annoying, seems like WinRAR recognises the jar file as a zip archive (which it actually is) and overrides the Java runtime link. I think you can tell WinRAR to stop linking itself to jar files in its preferences, but I don't use that program so I'm not sure. It's possible that if you turn off WinRAR jar linking and reinstal Java, everything would work, but I obviously do not know for certain.

Either way, you correctly set up the use of Java instead of WinRAR for jar files, but you need to append the parameter -jar to javaw.exe for it to be able to start jars, otherwise it thinks it is supposed to start a single java class which as you noticed does not work.

If you have problems with that you can also start the ALV from a command prompt through the command java -jar AscensionLogVisualizerFileName.jar. The path variable on your machines has to include your JRE for that to work though. But this is relatively easy to set up.

I hope that I could help you with this. Tell me whether it worked or not, or if you have more questions. :)

Flolle
Hi!

Good to see that you're at least able to start the program now. :)

I looked a little more into this and found this thread. Looks like you can set the link between jar files and the Java runtime yourself through the registry.

Judging from my own registry, you'll have to look in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. There you first check whether the standard value for .jar is jarfile (WinRAR probably changed this), and in case the standard value in jarfile/shell/open/command isn't properly set, set it to "C:\path\to\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*.

Again, if you have problems or further questions, just ask.

Flolle
So, first try get the program to run from the command prompt (first quote) and if it does, you can work on properly linking jar files with Java Runtime (second quote).

I hope this will help. :)

failed2k
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by failed2k » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:15 pm

Gave it a shot, copying and even tinkering with starting the program through CMD and this is the message I keep getting.

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I tried

java -jar AscensionLogVisualizerFileName.jar
java -jar AscensionLogVisualizer2.3.4.jar

Along with a few other variations on it, all with the same result.

again, all the .exe versions of Mafia run perfectly fine, but I have the identical problem with the .jar daily builds of mafia.

also, im not the super brightest computer kid in the world, so its possible it could be something stupid, but I dont know what. Every relavant file is in my C drive for the situation, java/kolmaf ect.

Elayne
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Elayne » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:54 pm

Have you tried to make sure that you have java installed in your computer? http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:06 pm

failed2k wrote:java -jar jarName.jar
For that command to work, you need to properly set your PATH variable, see this. I do not believe that the Java-install does this on its own.

Otherwise, the command prompt won't recognise the java command. You could also directly link to the java.exe inside your JRE /bin folder (for an example see the previous link), but setting up the PATH variable is easier in the long run.

Also, if there is a space inside the jar filename, you need to put quotes around it like so: java -jar "AscensionLogVisualizer 2.3.4.jar"

Please tell me whether you get it to work. :)
Elayne wrote:Have you tried to make sure that you have java installed in your computer?
If Java wasn't installed, the KolMafia executable wouldn't run. All it more or less does is executing the correct command on the jar that is bundled inside the exe. (it does a bit extra work to figure out were your JRE is installed to)

failed2k
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by failed2k » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:51 am

Okay, so I fixed a running issue with my Java that I think was making things even more difficult then they needed to be(corrupted registry file),and I am no longer having the "Could not find the main class. Program will exit" error and I think now perhaps I just need to associate it properly, but I can't exactly figure out what the CMD line/s needs to be exactly, or where how/when to type it, you have been a lot of help so far, but do you think maybe you could lay it out super simple for me, exactly what commands I should be putting in basically assuming I am a idiot.

my significant file locations are

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6 or C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin (from what im guessing)

and

C:\Users\Jew\Desktop\kolmaf(this is where the Ascension Log jar file is located)

and im running on windows 7(and yes I am jewish kind of~)

I hate to be so difficult, but I really have been at this for like, entirely too long tonight and I'm just frustrating myself.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:50 am

Don't beat yourself up too much about this, you have to do far worse to even have the chance to annoy me. :D

OK, step by step:

1. Start up the command prompt.

2. Run the command with all quotes that are included here:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Users\Jew\Desktop\kolmaf\X.jar"
(replace X with the exact name of the jar file you want to start)

3. The Java program should now start. If so, we're one step closer and can work on properly setting the file association again, but either way, come back and tell me.

failed2k
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by failed2k » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Oh god yes! The command line you gave me(adjusted slightly because I am a idiot) works perfect, and opens the visualizer.

Command I'm using is

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Users\Jew\Desktop\kolmaf\AscensionLogVisualizer 2.3.4.jar"

Now to set the associations! Also to thank you tremendously for your help, you've accomplished more in a few posts for me then reading 1000 forum posts and help sections, it's really REALLY appreciated.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Alright, that is very good, because it means that your Java install works as intended. Only the file association is screwed up for some reason. :)

(Why it is screwed up one can't be sure, the Java installation program actually doesn't necessarily have to be responsible for it, because other programs may have tried to grab the .jar association. WinRAR is a known offender in that regard.)

Anyway, again step by step, but I have to warn you, screwing around in the registry is serious business, so don't change anything unless you are sure it is the correct value. Also, I do not possess Windows 7, so if this changed between XP and 7, I might not be able to help you.

1. Open the registry editor (command regedit).

2. Go to \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command.

3a. If the entry doesn't exist, come back here and tell me.

3b. If the entry exists, change the value (just double click the standard entry on the right side of the tree view) to this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*
4. Close the registry editor and try to run a jar file by double clicking it. If it works, yay; if it doesn't work, boo. Come back and tell me either way.

failed2k
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by failed2k » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:49 pm

So I went into REgedit to change it, only to find that is the way it already is.

Right now when I try to open a .jar file I get a CMD window that pops up and then closes almost instantly, I was quick and took a screenshot of it to gather what it said.

CMD Window is titled
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe(noticed a lack of w at the end of the word java)
it says

Exception in thread"main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: C:\Users\Jew\Desktop\kolmaf\AscensionLogVisualizer 2.3.4.jar

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
a java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.loadClass(unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadclass(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: C:\Users\Jew\Desktop\kolmaf\AscensionLogVisualizer 2.3.4.jar. Program will exit.

Also when went into regedit I noticed a reg right about the one you sent me to called jar_auto_file with no values set in the main section/shell/open or command, don't know if thati s significant, but the name caught my eye.

if we are hitting a wall of effort level here, I'm okay with that, I can just use that fancy command you gave me to open it in the future, sure it's a little bit of a pain, and when I get a new jar file, i'll need to rework the command to work, but I think I can manage from here if we have hit a huge roadblock.

Thanks again for everything.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:36 pm

failed2k wrote:So I went into REgedit to change it, only to find that is the way it already is.
Just to make sure nothing is overlooked, it is the exact command? Not somthing such as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" "%1" %*?

If you are sure, check the entry in \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jar, it should hold the value jarfile. If it does not, change it to that value and post what was in there before.
failed2k wrote:Also when went into regedit I noticed a reg right about the one you sent me to called jar_auto_file with no values set in the main section/shell/open or command, don't know if thati s significant, but the name caught my eye.
Yeah, that's no problem. That entry sets how .java (= Java source files) files are opened, so it doesn't have anything to do with the problem you are having.
failed2k wrote:if we are hitting a wall of effort level here, I'm okay with that, I can just use that fancy command you gave me to open it in the future, sure it's a little bit of a pain, and when I get a new jar file, i'll need to rework the command to work, but I think I can manage from here if we have hit a huge roadblock.

Thanks again for everything.
No problem. :)

And if the .jar registry entry doesn't give anything conclusive, I'm pretty much at the end of my knowledge myself as far as this stuff goes. I could tell you how to make a batch file so you don't have type in the command every time, but first try the thing with the .jar entry that I told you above.

failed2k
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by failed2k » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Okay, went into reg and found .jar the value was set as jar_auto_file so I changed it to jarfile, but when attempting to click open ascensionlogvisual, still getting what appears to be a identical result(cmd message popping up and vanishing uberfast).

I think I will offically challenge my computer to a 12 round boxing match at this point staking my honor against it's refusal to open jar files.

Thats my best solution.

WiseFather
Pie in the Sky

Post by WiseFather » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 am

It looks like the same type of problem I was having before. For me, I had installed and was using Java 6 Update 18, but an old jre was also installed. I removed the old jre and have had no issues since. (may or may not solve your problem, just sounded similar)

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:09 pm

Apologies for the late reply, but yesterday was a bit busy. Almost didn't manage to play my turns (but I did, and it paid off, got a speed-karma today! :D).
failed2k wrote:Okay, went into reg and found .jar the value was set as jar_auto_file so I changed it to jarfile, but when attempting to click open ascensionlogvisual, still getting what appears to be a identical result(cmd message popping up and vanishing uberfast).
On second reading, I think I may have mixed something up in my last post. In my registry, there is a java_auto_file that does what I said in the last post, but I do not have a jar_auto_file, was reading a little too fast there while also playing at the same time, apologies for that. :oops:

So I guess what you could try is to set the .jar entry back to jar_auto_file and set the value in the jar_auto_file entry to the command that can be found in the jarfile entry.

If that doesn't work, I don't really know where else the problem could be hiding. You could try to search for java.exe in the whole registry and try to find an entry that looks like it could be a command used to execute jar files and change that to the correct command, but other than that, I have no idea.

Now, if you have no luck with the above options, here is how you can create a batch file that you can double click and which will then start the jar file of your choice. It is not as nice as simply double clicking jar files, but I guess it's still better than typing in a command every time you want to start a jar file.

Open Notepad and put this in:

@echo off
start "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Users\Jew\Desktop\kolmaf\AscensionLogVisualizer 2.3.4.jar"
exit

Then save that file as X.bat to where ever you want that file to be. You can replace X with any name you'd like, the file ending has to be .bat though. Now you can just double click that file and it will start the ALV.

It should be obvious from the structure of the batch file that you can also use this for any other jar file, you just have to use the correct file path for the jar file.