Alacrity's Achievements (And Alliteration)

In this subforum we brag about cool things we did definitely do. MC Frontalot recommended but not required.
alacrity
AFH

Alacrity's Achievements (And Alliteration)

Post by alacrity » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Overview
I've been meaning to create a space where I can collect and record the various things I'm proud of accomplishing in this game, which consist primarily of contest wins. I also just ran out of room in my display case to continue the full list of my permed skills, so I'll be putting that in the next post. :)

ToDo: table of contents, coming soon.
Last edited by alacrity on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alacrity
AFH

Post by alacrity » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:02 pm

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ascension+Skill Record
S1 (Original) Sauceror (and all I got was this stupid trophy...)
H1 (HCO) TT: Amphibian Sympathy
H2 (HCT) S: Advanced Saucecrafting*
H3 (HCNP) PM: Leash of Linguini
H4 (HCT) PM: Pastamastery
H5 (HCNP) DB: Superhuman Cocktailcrafting
H6 (HCNP) DB: Advanced Cocktailcrafting
H7 (BM) DB: Mad Looting Skillz
H8 (BM) TT: Torso Awaregness
H9 (BM) SC: Pulverize
H10 (BM) AT: The Ode to Booze
H11 (HCNP) AT: Fat Leon's Phat Loot
S13 (SCNP) S: Sauce Contemplation (trivial)
H12 (HCNP) DB: Smooth Movement
H13 (BM) S: Impetuous Sauciness
H14 (BM) PM: Entangling Noodles
H15 (HCNP) TT: Tao of the Terrapin
H16 (HCNP) DB: Ambidextrous Funkslinging
H17 (HCO) DB: Disco Power Nap
S20 (SCNP) AT: Moxie of the Mariachi (trivial)
H18 (HCNP) TT: Wisdom of the Elder Tortoises
H19 (HCNP) SC: Musk of the Moose
S23 (SCNP) AT: Gnomish Hardigness
H20 (HCNP) AT: The Sonata of Sneakiness
H21 (HCNP) AT: Aloysius' Antiphon of Aptitude
H22 (HCNP) AT: Magical Mojomuscular Melody
H23 (HCNP) AT: Ur-Kel's Aria of Annoyance
H24 (HCO) PM: Transcendental Noodlecraft
H25 (HCO) AT: Carlsweather's Cantata of Confrontation
H26 (HCNP) AT: The Power Ballad of the Arrowsmith
H27 (HCT) TT: Hero of the Half-Shell
H28 (BM) PM: Springy Fusilli
H29 (HCNP) SC: Double-Fisted Skull Smashing
H30 (HCNP) AT: The Moxious Madrigal
H31 (HCO) DB: Disco Nap
H32 (HCB) SC: Eye of the Stoat
H33 (HCNP) AT: Powers of Observatiogn
H34 (BM) SC: Super-Advanced Meatsmithing
H35 (HCNP) TT: Empathy of the Newt
H36 (HCB) DB: Natural Born Scrabbler
H37 (HCNP) TT: Shieldbutt
H38 (HCB) S: The Way of Sauce
S43 (SCNP) DB: Disco Aerobics (trivial)
H39 (HCNP) S: Diminished Gag Reflex
H40 (HCNP) PM: Cannelloni Cocoon
H41 (HCO) DB: (in progress...)

* HP duplicating previous P skill
Last edited by alacrity on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

alacrity
AFH

"BEAT the Joneses!" contest (by Cool Guy Crew)

Post by alacrity » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:06 pm

"BEAT the Joneses!" contest (hosted by Cool Guy Crew)

Official Thread: Cool Guy Crew Presents: BEAT the Joneses!
When: June 10, 2007 to June 20, 2007 (Remember NS-11?!?)
Tier: 1-6 HC ascensions
Prize: 1st place, dandy lion cub

This contest was pretty significant for me, having occurred shortly after I returned from my very long hiatus from KOL. Reading back over the contest thread, I'm amazed by how many future AFH(k) members were involved in this contest: smilegirl, MonsterERB, Pieces, me.

I have to come clean about something: I cheated. I didn't do anything specifically against any of the rules, but I definitely took full advantage of my knowledge and capabilities, and I felt really devious and proud of the results of my work. And a little guilty (but just a little.)

This contest was a scavenger hunt with a very unique and interactive scoring system: the actions of other players could affect the point value of any given item, and if too many people had an item in their store it could actually negatively affect all players with that item in their store. Consequently, the contest organizers permitted people to sign up by PM and took care to obfuscate the identities of participants when posting contest leaderboards. A significant number of the participants did not reveal their identities, and leaderboards were posted using 7 digit user ids with the middle 3 digits starred out.

This was not a sufficient impediment, however, as I was able to comb koldb for people in various UID ranges, with ascensions in the right timeframe, and managed to figure out the identities of everyone in my tier. I also wrote a Perl program that was able to log in to kol, fetch and parse the contents of their stores and store them in a database. From there I could calculate the up-to-minute scoring, and make decisions about what items to farm and what items to place in my store. And of course I utilized the strategy of not putting anything in my store until the last day, and everyone else should have done the same. ;-)

This explains my complete destruction of everyone else in my tier, scoring more than twice as many points as the 2nd place score. Sorry snark, had I know you and had I wanted to I could have easily manipulated your score into 2nd or 3rd place. Of course, that would have been against the rules (no collusion) and so I suppose that would have made me feel even more guilty than my cheaty rules-following already did.

A few notable quotes from the contest thread:
MonsterERB wrote:Quake in fear! FEAR, I tell you! Or, if it suits you better, chuckle bemusedly at my ineptitude.
Pieces wrote:I feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark...
smilegirl wrote:It doesn't matter if people know a few of the other contestants, but the strategy would change a lot if everyone knew who everyone else was.
smilegirl wrote:I was slaphappy snark, and I'm also smilegirl. Not clear yet which is my main or multi :-P.

/me pets his cute cute dandy lion fondly.
Last edited by alacrity on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

alacrity
AFH

BM Hell II: Hardcore Scavenger Hunt & Obstacle Course

Post by alacrity » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:07 pm

Bad Moon Hell II: The Hardcore Scavenger Hunt & Obstacle Course

Official Thread: Bad Moon Hell II: The Hardcore Scavenger Hunt & Obstacle Course
Host: Deathless Assassin (#650831) of Clan Otori
When: November 14, 2007 to Contestant Ascension
Tier: In Bad Moon there are no tiers!
Prize: 2nd place, tiny plastic sword

Astute readers will notice that this is the second contest in a series of fantastic Bad Moon oriented contests hosted by Deathless Assassin. The first was the Hardcore Familiar Roundup, and I did not place in that contest, so it does not get a full entry here. It is interesting to note that the winner of this contest, bobthebobber, also cleaned up in the first one. He even spawned an entire thread on our private forums (AFH(k)ers can check it out) due to his fantastic dominance. We never did fully conclude what his "tech" was, nor were we able to recruit him. Heh.

This was a fun contest, a mix of a speed run and a scavenger hunt, and it attracted some VERY strong ascenders. The contestant list is a veritable who's who of AFH's top talent, and even DarthDUD (as IstariAsuka) came out of his NS-13 hiding briefly to post a decent start before dropping out of the running.

bobthebobber ran away with the top place in this contest finishing 2 days earlier than I did. Flolle and I ended up finishing photo finish style, on the same day, separated by just 36 turns.

For all that Bad Moon acts as an equalizer, and is therefore a theoretically ideal environment for contests of skill, it is not without its problems. One problem in particular is that it just takes so...damn...long to do a Bad Moon run, and it is very tough to play at your best for 11 to 14, or more, consecutive days. Fortunately Crimbo was approaching, so I was able to ascend into an uber lazy waiting-to-farm-Crimbo run. I don't know about ya'll, but after a long contest I really need some mental downtime.

/me mixes up another sangria del diablo and sits back in the sun.
Last edited by alacrity on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

alacrity
AFH

Noblesse Oblige's Basement Mooning Challenge

Post by alacrity » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:07 pm

Noblesse Oblige's Basement Mooning Challenge

Official Thread: Noblesse Oblige's Basement Mooning Challenge
Host: Soleil Bellefontaine (#410569) and Noblesse Oblige
When: January 18, 2008 to February 8, 2008
Tier: In Bad Moon there are no tiers!
Prize: 1st place, homeless hobo spirit, 3,000,000 meat

Oh. My. God! I'm jealous I didn't think of this contest myself, it was so good. If you were to ask a random person what the hardest thing is in KoL, my hand picked, horribly convenient hypothetical random person would say: "I don't know, it's either a Bad Moon run or Fernswarthy's Basement." And you would be forced to agree. (No really, don't make me force you, mmkay?) Well, in any case, I am forced to agree. So here's the setup:

Teams of 3, all ascend into Bad Moon on the same day and have 22 days to dive as deep as possible in Fernswarthy's Basement. The team must consist of one muscle class, one mysticality class, and one moxie class. Team score is the sum of collective basement levels cleared by the end of the last contest day. Simple.

Except it was anything but simple. This contest spawned the longest (to date) strategy thread on our private (sorry, AFH(k) only) Contests forum.

Oh, did I mention the marshmallows? Yeah, apparently "two weeks" had gone by and Yuletide was finally, randomly, implemented right in the middle of this contest. It more or less threw all pre-contest strategy for a loop. But in a GOOD way!

Notable fabulousness:
* KujjieKujjieKoo played the first few days of my run, which was a lifesaver as I was more-or-less off the grid on a wonderful ski vacation.
* I dove deeper than any other individual contest participant, to level 199! (Stopped by a Gauntlet, of course!)
* My team beat the other AFH team by just FOUR basement levels! Incredible!

Yes, I was disappointed that I didn't quite make it to the Pan-Dimensional Gargle Blaster.

The spirit hobo in alacrity's terrarium mutters angrily about pan-dimensional hangovers, and swears off drinking. Again.
Last edited by alacrity on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

Kevlar
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Kevlar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:00 pm

calvin and hobbs avatar.

hehe

carry on.
grrrrrrr

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Re: "BEAT the Joneses!" contest (by Cool Guy Crew)

Post by slaphappy snark » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:31 pm

I loved the Beat the Joneses contest! I stunk at it, but I learned so much about KoL from it. Why aren't there many silly contests like this any more? Or do I just not notice them now?

alacrity wrote:Reading back over the contest thread, I'm amazed by how many future AFH(k) members were involved in this contest: smilegirl, MonsterERB, Pieces, me.

It's funny, because MERB and I met in another contest--the NO Basement contest, where we were soundly beaten (along with everyone else) by the AFH teams. I guess we like contests?

I have to come clean about something: I cheated. I didn't do anything specifically against any of the rules, but I definitely took full advantage of my knowledge and capabilities, and I felt really devious and proud of the results of my work. And a little guilty (but just a little.)

I remember reading how Pieces won his tier and being amazed. Now reading this and rereading his, you guys definitely deserved to win. I just dawdled along throwing items in my store because I was worried I'd forget some that I collected. I think there are still items in both of my characters' stores from different scavenger hunt contests.

smilegirl wrote:I was slaphappy snark, and I'm also smilegirl. Not clear yet which is my main or multi :-P.

Um. I'm surprised I said this--I thought I always knew the answer to this and that it just switched around April of last year.

alacrity
AFH

Post by alacrity » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:54 am

I finished writing up NO's Basement Mooning contest. Still to come: Hatrack Haberdashery, Hardest Hardcore, Even Worse Moon, and June Familiars.

lordhades15
Fie the Pie

Post by lordhades15 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:11 am

I'm quite enjoying the read in this thread! Keep it up, alacrity :D
j12601 wrote: Turns are now sub-optimal. It is a brand new fucking day.

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:50 am

slaphappy snark wrote:It's funny, because MERB and I met in another contest--the NO Basement contest, where we were soundly beaten (along with everyone else) by the AFH teams. I guess we like contests?

I remember that (actually was using my multi Gossamer47). I was moxie class (AT), and got to L67 or so. You were muscle class, and got a bit deeper, IIRC... maybe 75-80 levels. We were done in by the third member of our team... JoseCuervo. As a sauceror, he only cleared 61 (!) freaking levels. I remember from some of his kmails that he had burned over 100 turns in the bedroom, because he wanted a chintzy accessory for the stat boost. Ye Gods. Reagent potions FTW, anyone? Fun contest, but really sucks when one of your team pretty much utterly fails to grasp the correct strategy... especially when all the teams were counting on their sauceror to delve the deepest.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

rottingflesh
Inscrutable Pi

Post by rottingflesh » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:02 am

MonsterERB wrote:I remember that (actually was using my multi Gossamer47).
You beat me in the (low skills tier) Hatrack contest last May!

Friederike
Pie in the Sky

Post by Friederike » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:19 am

MonsterERB wrote:Fun contest, but really sucks when one of your team pretty much utterly fails to grasp the correct strategy... especially when all the teams were counting on their sauceror to delve the deepest.

On the plus side, this got my multi a troll and a million meat. :)

MonsterERB
AFH

Post by MonsterERB » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:51 am

rottingflesh wrote:
MonsterERB wrote:I remember that (actually was using my multi Gossamer47).
You beat me in the (low skills tier) Hatrack contest last May!

Yep. Thought I had the first prize (JEW hat, iirc) all sewn up, then leprosylad posted a last-day run that topped me. I do believe that's where Goss47 got his ice sickle from, though... which I used in my recent 3/621 softcore llama run... so it turned out for the best. :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV1.gif[/img]

rottingflesh
Inscrutable Pi

Post by rottingflesh » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:10 pm

If I had stat days at all during my run, I think I could've cut off the 5 turns you beat me by :P

/threadjack

TeKRunneR
Spy vs. Pie

Post by TeKRunneR » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:12 pm

So when do we get to the part where I beat you? D:

More seriously, nice string of contest victories you got there. That "strategy" you used on the "BEAT the Joneses!" contest was smart.