Thread density & Consolidation

If you have any suggestions for the forums, would like to request a change, question moderator action etc, post here.
NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Thread density & Consolidation

Post by NardoLoopa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:55 am

Since we're a pretty low-volume forum, it would be good to consolidate some of the sections -- since there is an excessive amount of clicking to get little information.

I suggest:
1) Rules
2) Non-gameplay related (currently this is 3 sub forums)
3) Gameplay related (currently this is 3 sub forums)
4) Public Ascension logs
5) Skyrates *cough*
6) AFHk private (contests rolled in here)
7) AFH private
8) AFH ascension logs

As some of these subforums have only 1-3 threads per month I think the above makes sense.

Anyway, I'm just getting sick of 3 clicking to see any actual posts.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:08 pm

I don't think there's much consolidation to be done. Rolling contests into AFHk is a good idea, but the other forums all deserve their existence.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:18 pm

The commune should never ever be merged with gameplay talk. Those two are very different areas, even though they seem to talk about the same thing (game mechanics) on the surface.

Also, the brag forum should stay, too. Stuff like finishing the basement/tome is cool, but it really isn't true gameplay talk. In general, the model of the main forums (namely, one single forum for anything gameplay-related) is not something that should be aspired to, because it really sucks.

Actually, I think the way it's currently made up is pretty good. Besides maybe putting the contest forum into AFHk.

For example, where would you have opened this thread in the structure you proposed? In the place with the beer and sports talk? ;)

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:44 pm

Intros: 2 threads. 1 April, 1 Feb
Anything: 12 April, 15 march, 20 feb, 9 jan, 8 dec
Suggestions: 4 april, 1 march, 3 feb, 1 jan, 2 dec

Commune: 10 april, 15 march, 6 feb, 5 jan, 5 dec
Gameplay: 6 april, 5 march, 7 feb, 5 jan, 8 dec
Brag: 3 april, 4 march, 2 feb, 2 jan, 2 dec

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:06 pm

At the risk of sounding confrontational: Your point being?

alacrity
AFH

Post by alacrity » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:10 pm

And I like the Contests forum being separate, so I can more easily go and find the thread for a past contest to review the planning/strategy discussion that occurred.

If your main concern is in finding all new comments with fewer clicks, the "View posts since last visit" link is fantastic!

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Wed May 07, 2008 3:44 pm

alacrity wrote:If your main concern is in finding all new comments with fewer clicks, the "View posts since last visit" link is fantastic!

Thanks for pointing this out. In another forum I use the link appears in a different location. This completely removes the annoyances I've mentioned above. Thanks.

Now, if I could just put Skyrates on an ignore list. ;)

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Thu May 08, 2008 9:06 am

NardoLoopa wrote:Now, if I could just put Skyrates on an ignore list. ;)
If it matters, I think I can set you with special permissions that ban you from looking at that forum.
Hi-keebated again? No way!

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu May 08, 2008 1:56 pm

ooh, that would be nice. Thanks.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Thu May 08, 2008 2:57 pm

Mad Hamish wrote:If it matters, I think I can set you with special permissions that ban you from looking at that forum.

Me too, please.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

bizkut
Inscrutable Pi

Post by bizkut » Thu May 08, 2008 3:16 pm

Me as well.

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Fri May 09, 2008 9:45 am

Stupid phpBB... I can give you access to private forums that you wouldn't have access to normally. Or I can take it away. But if I want to make it so you can't see the skyrates forum, that'd require making it private and setting up a special usergroup for visibility then manually stocking it with anyone who's interested. Unless there's a greater uproar of demand for that, or I'm filled with a burst of energy that I want to expend in a pain-in-the-ass endeavor, I think you're S.O.L.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Fri May 09, 2008 1:38 pm

Mad Hamish wrote:Stupid phpBB... I can give you access to private forums that you wouldn't have access to normally. Or I can take it away. But if I want to make it so you can't see the skyrates forum, that'd require making it private and setting up a special usergroup for visibility then manually stocking it with anyone who's interested. Unless there's a greater uproar of demand for that, or I'm filled with a burst of energy that I want to expend in a pain-in-the-ass endeavor, I think you're S.O.L.

I assumed from the beginning that you would be creating a special usergroup for those of us that didn't want to see skyrates and moving us out of the group we're already in. Or you could create another usergroup just for skyrates that anyone can join without being approved. I only played around with phpBB a little bit (spent more time with SMF and IPB 1.3), but both of those should be possible. Whether those fit how you want things set up, or if they are worth the effort, I guess you can probably figure that out pretty quickly.

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Fri May 09, 2008 1:58 pm

Nah, I'd have to make the Skyrates forum private to restrict anyones access. Which means I'd have to give extra access to all the non-AFH skyrates players who aren't already in a usergroup. A lot of effort just so you don't see a couple extra links per week.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Fri May 09, 2008 1:59 pm

Alternatively, you can download Platypus for firefox and make your own custom greasemonkey to make the skyrates forum disappear. I've used that method on a few other forums.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:12 pm

QuantumNightmare wrote:Alternatively, you can download Platypus for firefox and make your own custom greasemonkey to make the skyrates forum disappear. I've used that method on a few other forums.

After only 7 months, I decided to put together http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/38875 for anyone that doesn't want to see the Skyrates section. I never felt like trying out that Platypus thing, and I bet others here felt the same.

NardoLoopa
Market Manipulator

Post by NardoLoopa » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:17 pm

Awesome. Can't wait to not see it in action.

Manendra
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Manendra » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Awesome, lost!

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:52 pm

For anyone that doesn't view the forum front page at forum/index.php (and instead uses forum/), the updated script should now actually work for you. I think those are the only ways to view the front page, so I should be done updating the script now.