New layout

If you have any suggestions for the forums, would like to request a change, question moderator action etc, post here.
Eigenbasis
My Pie Blown Sky High

New layout

Post by Eigenbasis » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:25 am

I don't like it. The proportions are all off everywhere and the fonts don't look right.

I've been using the standard phpbb layout for over 6 years and I don't want to change, dagnabbit!
"Have you ever heard the expression, ‘When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then throw it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you originally asked for?’"

Ceirdwyn
Hug Duchess

Re: New layout

Post by Ceirdwyn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:56 pm

While I secretly agree with Eigenbasis I don't know if the layout can be changed - can it?

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Ceirdwyn wrote:While I secretly agree with Eigenbasis I don't know if the layout can be changed - can it?

But it's not secret if you post here :P

I need a couple days to know if I like it or dislike it. It's just... it's different.

Ringwraith
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Ringwraith » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:36 pm

It looks...weird. And wrong D:

Raccoon
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by Raccoon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Does it remind you of how NS13 looked and felt when you were used to NS11?
[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/mad_hamish/raccoonsig.jpg[/img]

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:56 pm

Doggie Bear wrote:Does it remind you of how NS13 looked and felt when you were used to NS11?

No. It looks like what I imagine a forum would look like if I were on drugs. The avatar sizes make the posts misalign, and the banner at the top is all out of proportion. It will take some getting used to, but if our choices are features (which I do appreciate) v. tidiness, I guess features are going to win. I'd like to request new style options or something. As is, I think I'm shutting off avatars.

Elayne
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Elayne » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:19 pm

It hurts my eyes for some reason. *shrug*
I used to have a softcore multi. But now, it's just HC4L. Elayne.

bumcheekcity
AFH

Post by bumcheekcity » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:45 pm

I don't care either way, but someone needs to make the top-left image right.

Oh, and split the Hobopolis and Slime Tube forums.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:01 pm

bumcheekcity wrote:Oh, and split the Hobopolis and Slime Tube forums.

Really? You can click to go directly to the one you care about, if the other one doesn't matter to you. And I figure combining them will just become more necessary when there's a third clan dungeon, and then a fourth, and so on.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

purple_shrimp
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by purple_shrimp » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:13 pm

I like it.

Lord Stefano
Warlord

Post by Lord Stefano » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Its weird, but adaptation is key to evolution. I'm a survivor!

P.S. I like this little guy :frog:

and may use :skull: , :monkey: and :Hades: often 8-)
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/LordStefano/Eyes.jpg[/img]

NightBird
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by NightBird » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Prev. layout was better for me:

1. There are some problems with forum logo in current one (proportions).
2. Moderators are not displayed for Clan dungeons subforum (there is subforums string instead while it will be better to see both - moderators and subforums for this subforum)
3. Fonts are weird and there are a lot of free space and unnecessary elements and links ... everywhere - it's hard to read text in threads :(
Konstantin a.k.a. NightBird
HCB / HCT / HCNP ascender

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:32 pm

lostcalpolydude wrote:
bumcheekcity wrote:Oh, and split the Hobopolis and Slime Tube forums.

Really? You can click to go directly to the one you care about, if the other one doesn't matter to you. And I figure combining them will just become more necessary when there's a third clan dungeon, and then a fourth, and so on.

Combining the dungeon forums was consistently one of the examples I've heard for the benefits of having subforums available as an option, and I'm a fan--the direct links work great for getting straight to one or the other.
Regarding the overall format, there are only a couple of styles currently installed (and the default one is definitely stranger, although it does fix the title banner aspect ratio). If you guys can be patient and try to provide feedback regarding what still bothers you about this one over the next few days, I'm sure we can come up with solutions.
Thanks, DaDuke and lost!

Edit:
NightBird wrote:3. Fonts are weird and there are a lot of free space and unnecessary elements and links ... everywhere - it's hard to read text in threads :(

I haven't noticed a lot of this--is this a common issue?

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:48 pm

Elayne wrote:It hurts my eyes for some reason. *shrug*

I noticed this just now. I think it's the level of contrast between the text and the background. The font is too pale or something. Especially against the lighter colored background.

that up there is default. this is black.

Is there a way to change the default to black, so that we don't have to manually do it every time we post?

greycat
AFH

Post by greycat » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:59 pm

The font's a bit small for my taste, and there needs to be higher contrast between the colors. All that's been said already, though.

The names of the people making the posts are WAY too small and hard to see at a glance.

phel
Pie in the Sky

Post by phel » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:16 pm

There's a lot of white space, more than what I'm used to. Also, it's cold, and there are wolves after me.

DaDuke
Admin

Post by DaDuke » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:22 pm

I have enabled the ability for you to select the style you want in your preferences (in your user control panel). This way you can try out any styles that get added and let us know which work for you and why. At the moment there are only 2 styles enabled for the forum, but more can be added. Phpbb has some more at http://www.phpbb.com/styles/ but I am sure there are plenty of other places you can find them.

Ultimately Lost / Snark have the final say, I am just acting as a board monkey in this :D

D.

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:58 pm

I'm currently using the prosilver board, because of the contrast issues I mentioned earlier. I don't particularly like the layout of this one though, with the poster info being on the right side, and the icons are kind of ugly. I would prefer to have something cleaner, with more of a contrast.

The Hestia Blue option in the link you posted, DaDuke, appeals to me. It's easy on the eyes and doesn't appear to be cluttered. Also, the eTech style. It seems that both have similar color schemes, but that the font is darker.

Ceirdwyn
Hug Duchess

Post by Ceirdwyn » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:38 am

I like the current one better than the one from yesterday regarding board index (yay for finding stuff again) and the "new post" flag is back on the left side (which is very good).

Now to get the poster back to the right side so that one knows whose post one is reading.

As Elayne the new forum style also makes my eyes hurt somehow but I still need to find out why.

NightBird
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by NightBird » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:47 am

slaphappy snark wrote:
NightBird wrote:3. Fonts are weird and there are a lot of free space and unnecessary elements and links ... everywhere - it's hard to read text in threads :(

Proof:
http://dslnet.ru/tcount/cache/free_space.png
http://dslnet.ru/tcount/cache/weird.png

and about subforums/mods (main page):
http://dslnet.ru/tcount/cache/mods.png

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:12 am

NightBird wrote:
slaphappy snark wrote:

Proof:
http://dslnet.ru/tcount/cache/free_space.png
http://dslnet.ru/tcount/cache/weird.png

and about subforums/mods (main page):
http://dslnet.ru/tcount/cache/mods.png

First image: Yes, there's plenty of empty space. Too much seems better than too little though.
Second image: When an avatar is wider than that column, that will happen regardless of forum style or even forum software. The only solution is making avatars smaller (which can maybe be sorted out once forum styles settle down, especially with the Admin CP showing how many people are using each style).
Third image: Most forums have Moderators, so it lists that. There's one forum that has Subforums, so those are listed. A forum could have both, and both would be listed. I don't see how that's weird.

I personally like Black Pearl. And for those that want a lighter background, I think eTech is a nice option.

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:21 am

lostcalpolydude wrote:Second image: When an avatar is wider than that column, that will happen regardless of forum style or even forum software. The only solution is making avatars smaller (which can maybe be sorted out once forum styles settle down, especially with the Admin CP showing how many people are using each style).

You can also go into your user control panel and turn off avatars for the time being.

I personally like Black Pearl. And for those that want a lighter background, I think eTech is a nice option.

I like both of these as well.

Ceirdwyn
Hug Duchess

Post by Ceirdwyn » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:23 am

eTech looks pretty - and with a good coloring for us with sensitive eyes :)

NightBird
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by NightBird » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:55 am

lostcalpolydude wrote:First image: Yes, there's plenty of empty space. Too much seems better than too little though.

But when it's unused and placed at the top of forum, it looks at least strange + I need more scrolling to read threads.
lostcalpolydude wrote:Second image: When an avatar is wider than that column, that will happen regardless of forum style or even forum software. The only solution is making avatars smaller (which can maybe be sorted out once forum styles settle down, especially with the Admin CP showing how many people are using each style).

No. Just set width=100% height=100% in IMG tag and all will look better ;)
lostcalpolydude wrote:Third image: Most forums have Moderators, so it lists that. There's one forum that has Subforums, so those are listed. A forum could have both, and both would be listed. I don't see how that's weird.

Ok. Maybe, you're right here :)

P.S. And yes, ETech style looks fine
Last edited by NightBird on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elayne
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Elayne » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:16 am

Here's to another vote for etech. Also, for some reason I like DirtyBoard too.
I used to have a softcore multi. But now, it's just HC4L. Elayne.

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:57 am

Input coming from a non-clan forum member, so ignore at your own discretion.

For what it is worth, I personally find the current layout relatively decent and the poster data being on the right side doesn't really bother me since the name can still be found on the left. Although the colour palette might have a bit too much of a blue bias.

Anyway, all I'm asking is that there will be a not sucky* light background theme in the selection, because dark background with light colour letters tends to be hard on my eyes and would be a serious reason for me to try and avoid reading this forum.

And as far as big avatars killing the page layout goes, that seems to be rather easily dealt with by establishing a maximum avatar size, say 130x100 or whatever floats your boat, and enforcing that rule (the latter isn't done currently I believe?).

*Not sucky in this context means the obvious decent colour palette and buttons and the not so obvious application of small borders left and right, not these fat ass suckers that take away one third of the screen for nothing as can be seen in the Black Pearl and Dirty Board themes linked in the above posts.

curiosity
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by curiosity » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:10 am

I'm not a clan member, but to me it seems like there's a bit too much white space - I end up having to scroll a great deal more than I'm used to.

(also, the forum I'm seeing looks different from the pictures Nightbird posted - did the style change in the meantime or is it an individual setting?)

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:34 am

I don't see any reason to take away the current options when adding new ones, so if one of the current choices is fine for you then there's nothing to worry about.

Black Pearl actually uses a fixed width for the body rather than large borders. I was thinking that should be changed to percent-based anyway.

(also, the forum I'm seeing looks different from the pictures Nightbird posted - did the style change in the meantime or is it an individual setting?)

There are currently two styles available. You can switch between them in User Control Panel (top right), Board preferences.

kevbob
Spy vs. Pie

Post by kevbob » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:04 am

why are usenames/avatars/etc on the right side, rather than the left side?

is this something non-kol related forums are moving towards?

So Very Invisible
AFH

Post by So Very Invisible » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:47 pm

I also liked poster info, avatars, etc. on the left, since I'm too lazy to actually read the names, and a quick glance at the avatar (if there is one) allowed me that leisure, since you read left to right anyway. Other than that, I'll have to take a look at some of the options Duke mentioned, I don't really like this blue.

Edit: Looking through the profile options, Friend vs. Foe lists, while unnecessary, are totally awesome. (Well, maybe just the foe list is unnecessary, I'm sure someone must have friends here. ;))

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:12 pm

lostcalpolydude wrote:I don't see any reason to take away the current options when adding new ones, so if one of the current choices is fine for you then there's nothing to worry about.

That's good to hear. In that case go right ahead and knock yourself out with the theme additions! :D

kevbob wrote:why are usenames/avatars/etc on the right side, rather than the left side?

is this something non-kol related forums are moving towards?

Well, Wikipedia has this to say on that topic:
Wikipedia wrote:phpBB3's default theme is called prosilver.

[...]

One of the more contentious decisions has been to move the user info panel on the viewtopic page to the right in order to provide more focus on the post content.[citation needed]

Note the [citation needed], though I'd say it makes sense from a certain perspective. Of course, one can obviously disagree with it. :)

BTW: I already found a highly useful new feature. When you make a post you can quote multiple posts from the thread inside one page thanks to the little quote-buttons in the Topic review below the textbox for the new post.

Maybe someone wants to make a little post/thread showcasing some of the more useful new features so people realise that they are there?

bumcheekcity
AFH

Post by bumcheekcity » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:58 pm

The layout is one thing. Who had the bright idea of combining the Hobopolis and Slime Tube boards? Now it's ANOTHER page load to see if one has new posts...

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:04 pm

bumcheekcity wrote:The layout is one thing. Who had the bright idea of combining the Hobopolis and Slime Tube boards? Now it's ANOTHER page load to see if one has new posts...

The icon on the outside shows whether there are new posts in either of those subforums. If you really never plan to use one of those areas, I can put you in a forum group that blocks you from seeing posts there, and then all new posts will be in the area you care about.

If you don't want that option, perhaps clicking on the Clan Only category (yes, that's still a click) will give you a view that you prefer.

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:23 pm

bumcheekcity wrote:The layout is one thing. Who had the bright idea of combining the Hobopolis and Slime Tube boards? Now it's ANOTHER page load to see if one has new posts...

The Hobopolis and Slime Tube forum moderators? uhm, some admins... it's another click. live with it. :)

The more forums we have, the messier things are, and it gets unwieldy. We aren't the only clan to do this, btw.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:12 pm

Can you try to be a little more constructive with your comments? You've already mentioned that you disliked this change, and you got a couple of responses with explanations and suggestions for how to work with it.
As we've said, we'd prefer not to keep needing additional separate dungeon forums, especially when there is little activity beyond loot distro in the older ones--the subforums provide a great way to combine them.

Serra725
AFH

Post by Serra725 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Flolle wrote:BTW: I already found a highly useful new feature. When you make a post you can quote multiple posts from the thread inside one page thanks to the little quote-buttons in the Topic review below the textbox for the new post.

Maybe someone wants to make a little post/thread showcasing some of the more useful new features so people realise that they are there?

Thanks for the tip- I was wondering about that capability!

I second the request for someone to showcase the useful new features. I'm not very good at tinkering around and discovering things unless I know to look for them.

Suendenbock
My Pie Blown Sky High

Post by Suendenbock » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:03 pm

I found the only thing that i was missing was the "mark all forums as read" button on the bottom of the page, since usually i read the new posts and then just backspace to the main site. But that is now located in the top left corner of the site, so no big deal there. I also second Serra's request of someone tech savy making a thread of all the cool, new and hip features that this change brings =P

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:18 pm

Heck's hobopolis distro thread keeps giving a whitescreen when trying to post a new reply, if the board style is set at subsilver2. It works in prosilver though. It seems to be the only thread affected so far.

Turias
AFH

Post by Turias » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:23 pm

It's one click to see where there are new posts. The link is at the top of the main forums page. This should be even faster than clicking from forum to forum and from there clicking each thread with new posts.

search.php?search_id=newposts

Personally, I find this the easiest way to use the forums.

bumcheekcity
AFH

Post by bumcheekcity » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:57 am

slaphappy snark wrote:

Can you try to be a little more constructive with your comments? You've already mentioned that you disliked this change, and you got a couple of responses with explanations and suggestions for how to work with it.
As we've said, we'd prefer not to keep needing additional separate dungeon forums, especially when there is little activity beyond loot distro in the older ones--the subforums provide a great way to combine them.

Sorry, I thought I hadn't said that already. Great, now I'm forgetting things. Reasonable explanation though. I didn't know about the new posts page that Turias just posted - I'm going to be using that from now on :D

tiv
Fie the Pie

Post by tiv » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:03 pm

In other, semi-related news:
super awesome thingie wrote:At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.

I like having this here. I've enjoyed it on other forums, but it's handy now. Less ninjaing?

Mr_Crac
Spy vs. Pie

What happened to your forum?

Post by Mr_Crac » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:01 pm

Somebody came and misadjusted the settings. Now posters' info and avatars are on the right side, where nobody wants them to be.

Okay, snark aside and for serious: I found the old layout more clearly arranged. Maybe I'm getting old (still can't get over the GUI changes from Office 2003 to Office 2007).

EDIT: See, I've got proof right here: I only found the thread about the new forum layout now. :(
Feel free to move this post there.

Merged into this topic, more mod tools to play with
-lost

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Re: What happened to your forum?

Post by lostcalpolydude » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:12 pm

You'll want to go to ucp.php?i=173 to change it.

slaphappy snark
Widdle Fudge Bunny

Post by slaphappy snark » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:16 pm

Mr_Crac wrote:Okay, snark aside and for serious...

Why do you want me aside? :-/
Feel free to move this post there.

We can do this with the upgraded forum software and couldn't before! Yay change!

Mr_Crac
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Mr_Crac » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:30 pm

lostcalpolydude wrote:You'll want to go to ucp.php?i=173 to change it.

Um, is there a setting for having the avatars displayed to the left side instead of the right? I can't seem to find it.

slaphappy snark wrote:Why do you want me aside? :-/

A hobo on a unicycle was just about to run you over, and we couldn't let that happen.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Mr_Crac wrote:Um, is there a setting for having the avatars displayed to the left side instead of the right? I can't seem to find it.

There's a setting to change the board style that you use. That layout is specific to the prosilver style.

Perhaps I should move everyone from prosilver to subsilver2 and the few people that actually want prosilver can move back.

Mr_Crac
Spy vs. Pie

Post by Mr_Crac » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:40 pm

lostcalpolydude wrote:There's a setting to change the board style that you use. That layout is specific to the prosilver style.

Trying it out... hm... yeah. Thanks.