Weekly Spade

If you have any suggestions for the forums, would like to request a change, question moderator action etc, post here.

Weekly Spade

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:21 pm

As fun as it is to play Rival Clan..

I suggest putting together a Weekly Spade post on the main KoL Forums. It would be a basic heads up of interesting developments in the works at AFH, HCO and other spading forums, with relevant links.
Inject some enthusiasm.

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 pm

Didn't Aprocalypse try that, then fail to update it? Sounds good if you're gonna collect it =)

Also, who are you?
Hi-keebated again? No way!

DiscoNeckTed
Spy vs. Pie

Post by DiscoNeckTed » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:35 pm

Whoops..I shouldn't be allowed to post without logging in..

Yes, who will put the bell around the cat's neck?
If it was just a *NEW!* update, it might not be too tough.
[img]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3514/ervs2.jpg[/img]

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:51 pm

Do we have a customer service staff in place to answer the large number of "questions" that will keep popping up? It's bad enough when things have been extensively tested and spaded, but when things are a work in progress, it's much much worse. I've found difficulties in posting some of our work just onto the HCO forums, and dealing with that set of questions, doubters, etc... I'd hate to open the floodgates on a constant basis to the even larger pool of idiots on the main forums (no offense idiots).

Some things are certainly worthy of posting on the main forums... and other things just seem like more work that they're worth. People who desire the lastest in spading and want to understand the newest developments are probably already checking those forums anyway, what is the target audience for a weekly thread like that?

DiscoNeckTed
Spy vs. Pie

Post by DiscoNeckTed » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:08 pm

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:.. dealing with that set of questions, doubters, etc... I'd hate to open the floodgates on a constant basis to the even larger pool of idiots on the main forums (no offense idiots).

I can see that. Maybe just an impartial gloss-over of new ideas, like the Radio Show synapses, posted by an apparently "impartial" poster. I just think it's some good fodder for Game Play beyond Best Familiar? and I Love FoB!.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:30 pm

DiscoNeckTed wrote:I just think it's some good fodder for Game Play beyond Best Familiar? and I Love FoB!.

I can see that, and certainly can see the value in getting additional people involved with the latest and greatest in gameplay. There have been several people contributing useful information to the new ghost spading over there that I don't recall seeing before. It might just be me, but I don't have the patience to post over on the main forums. It may be worth exploring something like this on a trial basis though. My hope would be that more people would end up contributing good work, and not just discourage the people who are already doing a great job by exposing them to the masses who may not understand.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:36 pm

I like the idea in principle. I don't want to have to troubleshoot it. Peer review is one thing, spoon-feeding results until comprehension occurs is quite another.

Does anyone want to volunteer to put together this post?

(If I remember the last time this was tried on the main forums, no intelligent discussion occurred. Better luck this time.) Also, what spading forums are there besides us and HCO?

lordhades15
Fie the Pie

Post by lordhades15 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:53 pm

I really like this idea. However, I would suggest for the most part only posting completely spaded ideas. If one were to post a work in progress, it should be noted as such, but this runs into all sorts of problems. I dunno, sounds like a solid idea.
j12601 wrote: Turns are now sub-optimal. It is a brand new fucking day.

alacrity
AFH

Post by alacrity » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:44 pm

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:no offense idiots

None taken! ... hey, wait a minute!

lordhades15 wrote:If one were to post a work in progress, it should be noted as such, but this runs into all sorts of problems. I dunno, sounds like a solid idea.

I think identifying the core goal(s) in making and maintaining such a post are important. I see three potential gains by doing this:

* Public Relations (increase AFH name recognition, make more people aware of these forums)
* Announce results of spading on a more viewed forum
* Fish for people who are interested in spading but don't know where to start

The third goal seems to me the most reasonable -- I'm sure there are players out there that would be very talented and disciplined spaders, but they just haven't found an organized group with which to participate and really make an impact. This is really the only good reason I see to post about works-in-progress: attempting to get more assistance.

Announcing results is something that is probably better done through one-off threads. This lets the announcer tailor the presentation and commit to moderating/participating in the discussion. E.g. the way we presented the fortune cookie work was very good, and I think makes a good model for future disclosures of spading work.

PR is a tricky subject and, for reasons mentioned already in this thread, keeping the discussion from devolving and having a negative impact on how we're viewed would be a lot of work. Probably not a good idea at this time.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:49 pm

alacrity wrote:* Public Relations (increase AFH name recognition, make more people aware of these forums)

The original thought was for AFH, HCO, and other mysterious unknown to me forums.. but yeah, we're certainly in a better position to highlight activities spaded on our forums, and less so those spaded elsewhere. The more people providing good spading work, the better!

QuantumNightmare wrote:I like the idea in principle. I don't want to have to troubleshoot it. Peer review is one thing, spoon-feeding results until comprehension occurs is quite another.

This too is my biggest concern about an idea like this. I'm all for making spading knowledge more available to everyone, but I don't want to have to explain it over and over. Anyone remember the fortune cookie guide?

DNT, were you volunteering for such a role as spading liaison, and just looking for our approval to link back to AFH spading projects? Or was it more a bringing up the idea for conversation?

DiscoNeckTed
Spy vs. Pie

Post by DiscoNeckTed » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:33 pm

KujjieKujjieKoo wrote:DNT, were you volunteering for such a role as spading liaison, and just looking for our approval to link back to AFH spading projects? Or was it more a bringing up the idea for conversation?

I wasn't exactly volunteering; I can see your issues with moderation. But I think you could tweak a post in your private forum before posting. If it's simply informative, with relative links, it shouldn't be too harangued.

And Point 3 is the biggie. I was surprised by the amount of new spaders working on the GGG.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:12 pm

What recent big spading is there in the public commune?

-The airship was spaded
-The puppy's combat modifier was proven
-Tuxedo/olives is tentative. Some data, but no conclusion
-Three calculation programs/sheets constantly updated
-Turns per demon name

Anything else in the past 10-14 days?

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:25 pm

QuantumNightmare wrote:Anything else in the past 10-14 days?
Ain't that enough?!?

Slavedriver.

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:34 am

I figure this as a good a place as any to say that if our forums get flooded with idiot noobs, I reserve my right to IP-banstick them all into oblivion.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV2.gif[/img]

DiscoNeckTed
Spy vs. Pie

Post by DiscoNeckTed » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:57 am

Think about the Audience. I think these three would be very well received. They can be stated clearly, so you won't need the spoon.

-The airship was spaded
-The puppy's combat modifier was proven
-Tuxedo/olives is tentative. Some data, but no conclusion (if proven)

Weekly might be too often. Maybe bi-monthly, or whenever you have a decent handful.

dvmaprezson wrote:I figure this as a good a place as any to say that if our forums get flooded with idiot noobs, I reserve my right to IP-banstick them all into oblivion.

Give them a Defiled NooK to post in.

Mad Hamish
AFH

Post by Mad Hamish » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:26 am

I could likely post something this in Coldfront news, with spoily stuff hidden behind a "read more..." tab. Gets a decent amount of attention, and could avoid the clusterfuck that the main forums become.

DiscoNeckTed
Spy vs. Pie

Post by DiscoNeckTed » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:08 pm

I thought a cluster-fuck was what you wanted?
Forums have a direct link FROM KoL, I suspect they get a LOT more attention that coldfront.

If the Blue-Text synopses are distilled into a paragraph or two, I can't imagine any dissent. It’s just useful information, right?

DiscoNeckTed
Spy vs. Pie

Post by DiscoNeckTed » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:50 pm

Hmm.

In addition to the Hound Dog and Airship, the Tux/Olive could be introduced as the weekly "work in progress" with a method and "invitation" to spade.

Might be a good way to gather data from some of the newer Forum Spaders, who want/need more direction.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Might as well add the navel ring to the list of things completed. That would get people interested.