RSS feed?

If you have any suggestions for the forums, would like to request a change, question moderator action etc, post here.
QuantumNightmare
AFH

RSS feed?

Post by QuantumNightmare » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:02 pm

I'm lazy. I like checking what's going on here, but I don't like loading the page continuously to check if anything new has been posted. Why don't we make an RSS feed of the forum for people to check? I don't know much about these things, but a quick search of the phpBB site led me to this mod: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=552465

It should create an RSS feed of the last X posts, which would be ideal. Is there any interest in this, and does anyone have experience with making RSS feeds?

VladimirPootin
AFH

Post by VladimirPootin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:22 pm

because of our hosting, we can't patch phpBB. i have webspace if someone wants to migrate, but i ain't doin' it
[b]AFH: Now with more [i]new and improved[/i] moral ambiguity![/b]

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:27 pm

I'd like an RSS feed. But no knowledge of php or forum software, so I wouldn't be any help with that.
Last edited by Flolle on Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dvmaprezson
Fie the Pie

Post by dvmaprezson » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:33 pm

Someone tell me how to copy all this data and whatnot that is the forumz and I'll do it.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/dvmaprezson/AFHV2.gif[/img]

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:48 pm

VladimirPootin wrote:because of our hosting, we can't patch phpBB. i have webspace if someone wants to migrate, but i ain't doin' it
Times like these being a professional programmer might come in handy. How is our hosting being taken care of right now? And what sort of hosting could you hook us up with? Would the only change due to this migration be our web address, as well as giving us the ability to pimp out our phpBB code? And lastly, just how much work is involved in migrating a forum...

Details plis.

VladimirPootin
AFH

Post by VladimirPootin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:52 pm

we have free hosting. it sucks. we have to pay them to pull the content from the DB. otherwise we would have to go through some nightmare of scripting. would be like $20 last i checked from these bizhat people.

we would need a new url too. like $10.

i don't know how you would handle the redirect. i have a box i can run phpbb in linux w/apache whatever on it. all of this is nontrivial. it should be trivial, but it probably won't be.
[b]AFH: Now with more [i]new and improved[/i] moral ambiguity![/b]

Brulak
AFH

Post by Brulak » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:16 am

Programming: can be done. I earn my money doing PHP/mySQL thingies. Patching up an RSS feed once you have the database there is easy. One small PHP script run as a cronjob that refreshes the config file and you're done. What is non-trivial or outright impossible is customizing feeds based on access privileges. So no feed for internal stuff.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:37 pm

Can I has RSS now?

Zurich
AFH

Post by Zurich » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:42 pm

QuantumNightmare wrote:Can I has RSS now?

I do? One sec.

Zurich
AFH

Post by Zurich » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:44 pm

Could take a long time, btw. We're running Phpbb v 2.3 and I need to do sequential updates to 3.1.

I think.

Zurich
AFH

Post by Zurich » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:54 pm

Gah. 3.0 is uncompatible, meh. We should upgrade to the latest version of 2.0 though, and later we should be getting the RSS feed. Eventually. Hopefully.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Mon May 12, 2008 8:16 pm

DaDuke wrote:I have just upgraded the forums to the latest version 2 release (2.0.23). Let me know if this is still happening and I will try and search for a resolution.
Now that we're partially updated, is this still impossible?

DaDuke
Admin

Post by DaDuke » Mon May 12, 2008 9:06 pm

QN, firstly let me just admit I really do not know an awful lot about RSS in general.

Anyhow, I have installed RSS Feed 2.2.24 to the forums. Take a look at http://alliancefromhell.com/forum/rss.php and let me know what you think. I subscribed to it for my google home page and it seems to work ok there.

There are plenty of config settings and mods we can apply it fine tune it to what you had in mind.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Mon May 12, 2008 9:53 pm

That's awesome! Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't know much (ok, anything at all) about RSS feeds, so I don't know what special configs or options would look good here. But what we have here is great so far. Works well with firefox's live bookmarks, which is what I was looking for.

DaDuke
Admin

Post by DaDuke » Mon May 12, 2008 9:56 pm

Ok, I have been playing around with it a bit and found the following works for me. Could a few people please test this and let me know it works as I think below -

http://www.alliancefromhell.com/rss.php - should give threads where a user login is not required to see them

http://www.alliancefromhell.com/rss.php?login - should give all threads you are allowed to see in the forums

deusnoctum
Statistically likely to return

Post by deusnoctum » Mon May 12, 2008 11:14 pm

The first one works. The second one required a login, and after entering my forum credentials, it added an empty feed with no title and no items to my RSS aggregator. I'll play around with it and see if I can make it work.

FWIW, I use Google Reader.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon May 12, 2008 11:18 pm

deusnoctum wrote:The first one works. The second one required a login, and after entering my forum credentials, it added an empty feed with no title and no items to my RSS aggregator. I'll play around with it and see if I can make it work.

FWIW, I use Google Reader.

Were there any threads that you hadn't already read? If not, that could be the reason for the lack of items.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

deusnoctum

Post by deusnoctum » Mon May 12, 2008 11:21 pm

lostcalpolydude wrote:Were there any threads that you hadn't already read? If not, that could be the reason for the lack of items.

By default, Google Reader shows the last ten items in the feed as new (as it did with the public feed). Asking it to show me all items from the private feed showed no items. This, plus the feed's not having a title, suggests that it flat out doesn't work. Whether it's the forum's fault, Google's, or me mistyping my password, I can't tell (especially since it's not giving me a chance to re-authenticate.)

DaDuke
Admin

Post by DaDuke » Mon May 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Yeah it is certainly not because of whether they are read or not. I will try google reader and investigate further. The URL works for me in Firefox and gives me threads from private forums where the first URL does not.

1) Could you let me know if the second URL viewed in the browser works for you (and which browser you are using).
2) Plus just confirm for me that no private threads show in the first URL (through whichever reader you are using).

Ta.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon May 12, 2008 11:28 pm

After trying Google Reader (thanks for pointing that out, Firefox has crappy RSS support), it can't even load the second link. I get an error at the top saying "no feed available" with no chance to enter login information. Strange, since both of them work perfectly fine in Safari (which has RSS reading built in).

Edit: No private threads in the public RSS link, in Safari or Google Reader.

deusnoctum

Post by deusnoctum » Mon May 12, 2008 11:31 pm

At this point, I can't even add it to Google Reader. It works fine in (ugh) IE's "Feeds" feature, though. I was prompted for login information, and was prompted again after changing my forum password--now I just need to get Google Reader to let me add it again.

Also, in the second feed, you misspelled "registered."

Will test security of the first feed momentarily.

Edit: Here we go. Google Reader does not currently support authenticated feeds.
http://www.google.com/support/reader/bi ... _issues.cs

deusnoctum

Post by deusnoctum » Mon May 12, 2008 11:45 pm

Double post to force my RSS reader to refresh the feed, for aforementioned security test.

Edit: Lost is right, everything's copacetic with the first one. Looks like the second one, too, if you're not using Google reader.

QuantumNightmare
AFH

Post by QuantumNightmare » Tue May 13, 2008 9:48 am

Now the second link doesn't seem to be working. I get it to install fine with firefox livebookmarks, but when I try closing the browser and opening it back up, I get the error "URL is not valid and cannot be loaded".

Flolle
Fie the Pie

Post by Flolle » Tue May 13, 2008 12:37 pm

This is working very well for me, thanks! :D

Using Opera here, if someone is interested. Just shows which of the browsers is actually the best. ;)

deusnoctum

Post by deusnoctum » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:41 pm

deusnoctum wrote:Edit: Here we go. Google Reader does not currently support authenticated feeds.
http://www.google.com/support/reader/bi ... _issues.cs

If you're comfortable with security through obscurity, there is a way to get the private forums' RSS feed in Google Reader (disclaimer: I have not actually done this yet).

http://www.labnol.org/internet/private- ... der/11983/

brb
AFH

Post by brb » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:33 pm

It's not obscure if you post it in a public section.

bumcheekcity
AFH

Post by bumcheekcity » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:45 am

Do we still have shitty hosting?

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:50 am

bumcheekcity wrote:Do we still have shitty hosting?

No.

DaDuke
Admin

Re: RSS feed?

Post by DaDuke » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:19 am

The address for the RSS feed has changed to the following -

http://www.alliancefromhell.com/feed.php

Any problems please let me know.

D.