Moderator: Raccoon

Kelemvor
AFH

Kelemvor's 3/653 SCNP AT Wallaby (DitR contest) run

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:50 am

Background

Skills: http://www.sngx.net/skillChecker.cgi?ha ... IAAAAAAAAE

Stat days: day 2/3, natch.

Familiars: The only ones I expect to use on this run are, in rough order of turns spent with them: bandersnatch, stinky gravy fairy, he-boulder, hobo monkey (for nuns only), exotic parrot (trapz0r), and purse rat (for getting scrolls from the adding machine and flyers).

Goal: 3 days, <725 turns (since that's what I'm expecting to generate from my consumables). Basically, I'm shooting to place in the contest, and become the first player with under 10 skills to do a 3 day, sub-800 run. Yes, I'm aware that only one person has ever done even a subronin 3 dayer with <10 skills (Chilly Bean), and I'm told that that run was done by one of the best speed ascenders ever (Kujjie). Well...go big or go home, I say.

Note: I wrote these logs as I was ascending, but didn't post them until after, hoping to fly under the radar for anyone scouting the competition. I've broken the prism now, but I present my log, as it was written during the run.

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:58 am

Day 0

Wow, I'm nervous. I'm really new to speed-ascending, and this will mark the first time I've ever really gone balls-out on a run -- my practice run was pretty close, but this time I'll be pulling some expensive consumables to try and get myself down to a 3 day run.

I've spent a few weeks preparing for this run by perming skills and acquiring items that will help me, and my practice run went fairly well: a 4/773, apparently ranked roughly #200 of all runs post-NS13 (a lot higher than I expected). But seeing that Upstairs Frank posted a 3/710 as a muscle class, while doing lucre, and without Festival of Jarlsberg...yikes, that's impresive. Plus there's probably 5 other entrants who have 4 day, sub 800 runs; I'm going to have to post a 3 day run if I want to be competitive.

Looking at my situation, here are my strengths and weaknesses:
- Biggest weakness first - I'm low on skillcount. I'm worried about simply in the <10 skills division, but otherwise all the big guns have two to almost three times the skills I have. Most glaringly, I don't have any of the cooking skills except pastamastery, and that's not going to cut it for the turns I need to generate, so I'm going to have to be creative with my pulls.
- Second biggest weakness - not a whole lot of practice. My practice run went well and I identified roughly 20 mistakes I made that might trim a turn each, but I'm worried that there are additional leaks I haven't found yet just because I got lucky the first time.
- I'm also missing some key pieces of Mr. Store gear - no llama, pixie, v mask, navel ring, VIP key, divine favors, or candy hearts. I was able to acquire a libram of love songs right before the contest started, though - thanks, Crys-Rock!
- Finally, there's no time to do a proper lead-in; spending my time picking up essential skills like shieldbutt, noodles, and doing a practice run is going to be far more useful than doing an HC sauceror lead-in (at least, I think so). If I had more skills and more time, I'd very strongly consider doing an HCB sauceror lead-in.

- My biggest strength? Definitely the support team I have. I'm lucky enough to be part of The Mystics, who've been crazy generous and trusting in loaning me equipment and other shinies to use for this run. They've also been great in giving me advice on where I can trim pulls and turns, and without them I wouldn't be dreaming of getting close to placing. A word of advice to any aspiring speed ascenders - FIND YOURSELF A CLAN! The advice you can get from people who've been there and done that, not to mention the kind of resources you'll have available, are irreplaceable. I guess if you're on the AfHk forums, I'm preaching to the choir, but you never know...
- I'm also pretty good at taking notes and reviewing them, so I'm hoping to avoid the same mistakes I made last time. Thanks to AfHk for sponsoring this contest and making me start keeping more detailed logs (and using Mafia)! I know everyone says it, but it's true: you'd be surprised at how much faster you'll get once you start keeping a log.

OK, enough stalling. Time to jump the gash. *deep breath*
Last edited by Kelemvor on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:59 am

Day 1

Goals for today:
- hit level 4 without consuming anything
- hit level 6 only consuming spleen items
- finish all the level 1-5 quests
- yellow ray (which I call zap, even though I know that's something different) the harem girl, so that I can do the boss bat and goblin king quests without pulling a veil.
- putty 5 bloopers and save the last one for tomorrow, for a total of seven and 21 pixels. Hope that a pie finishes it off.
- eat at the end of the day, so that I can save a pull on milk for tomorrow.
- bank as many turns as possible for the stat day tomorrow.

Code: Select all

[0] Ascension Start [0,0,0]
     +> [0] Got empty meat tank, scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff dragon sticker
     +> [0] Got scratch 'n' sniff dragon sticker, scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker, scratch 'n' sniff unicorn sticker, scratch 'n' sniff unicorn sticker
     +> [0] Got scratch 'n' sniff unicorn sticker, scratch 'n' sniff wrestler sticker
     #> Turn [0] pulled 1 pilgrim shield
     #> Turn [0] pulled 1 haiku katana
     #> Turn [0] pulled 1 facsimile dictionary
     #> Turn [0] pulled 1 little box of fireworks
     #> Turn [0] pulled 1 dope wheels
     #> Turn [0] pulled 1 clockwork pirate skull
     #> Turn [0] pulled 1 Spooky Putty mitre
     #> Turn [0] pulled 1 charpuce jub-jub bird
     #> Turn [0] pulled 2 Uncle Crimbo's Rations
     #> Turn [0] pulled 1 Mr. Accessory Jr.
     #> Turn [0] pulled 1 C.A.R.N.I.V.O.R.E. button
     -> Turn [0] Frumious Bandersnatch
AfHk contest AT run, woo! pull equipment, rations; sell dictionary. (Can you tell I've been reading stupac2's roadmap?) cast stickers. no apples? WTF, rng. you owe me. rations are 3 of each. bleh, now I'm going to need to pull a lucre for bounty-o's on day 2, unless I get lucky.

[1-2] Haunted Pantry [5,2,15]
     => Level 2 (Turn 2)! (3/3/5)
[3] Guild Challenge [0,0,0]
     o> Used 2 giant moxie weed [0,0,10]
[4-11] Haunted Pantry [15,14,59]
     +> [4] Got razor-sharp can lid
     => Level 3 (Turn 6)! (3/4/8)
got can lid! fire the hoo ray. still trying to open the manor. dangit, should have set detuned to 10 right away and cast leash. that's probably 4 substats I missed out on. not a ton, but every turn matters, especially on day 1.

[12] Guild Challenge [0,0,0]
     +> [12] Got eyepatch
[13-15] Moxie Vacation [0,0,3]
     -> Turn [15] He-Boulder
This is my first run with love songs, so I don't remember until now that I should cast some. I start with two and get sugary cuteness and icy revenge. nice -- I want to have 2 icy revenge songs for the NS familiar test so that I can skip the KGE and 5-7 sugary cuteness for the nuns quest, so this is a good start. call us even, rng. for now.

whoops, made 100 meat paste instead of a meat stack. good thing that won't cost me anything. be more careful, this guy.

using boulder for major red eye, as it gives 7 of each stat and so is better than my snatch for that one fight. I killed 2 monsters by accident, one with fireworks, one with shieldbutt -- that's 8 main substats lost before I use the red eye to get 7, right at the breakeven. I count myself a little ahead when you factor in off-stats (since I'll need mysticality to equip the ring of conflict), but still, it was sloppy.

[16-28] Outskirts of The Knob [29,36,91]
     +> [17] Got chef's hat
     +> [25] Got chef's hat
     +> [27] Got chef's hat
     +> [28] Got Knob Goblin encryption key
     o> Used 2 not-a-pipe (16 adventures gained) [48,41,46]
     #> Turn [28] pulled 1 not-a-pipe
     #> Turn [28] pulled 1 not-a-pipe
     -> Turn [18] Frumious Bandersnatch
     => Level 4 (Turn 25)! (7/7/13)
At some point during this overly long encryption key gathering, I think, hm, I could go get a moxie magnet and ode to booze early, so that I can consume my peppermint schnapps. Why am I waiting? My expected turncount generation is only 725 and my practice run took 773 adventures, so I want to squeeze every last turn out of my consumables.

Is it worth getting the moxie magnet? I think no - I ended my practice run with just 4k, which I'd like to keep as a buffer for the skeleton (heals get expensive), and I'm going to have no trouble hitting level 6 today. If I could get through the quests in fewer turns, having crimbo nostalgia early would help me open up better stat-gaining areas, but I don't think that's the case.

I hit level 4 and pull 2 not-pipes. could probably get by stat wise on 1 and save a pull, but I think in the end I'll need the adventures. plus now I'm oh-so-close to being able to use my carnivore button.

[29-32] A Maze of Sewer Tunnels [76,66,164]
     -> Turn [32] He-Boulder
     => Level 5 (Turn 32)! (13/13/20)
a couple sewer adventures gets me to lvl 5 so I can zap the harem girl. run out of mp but luckily I can raindrop to shieldbutt one last time. phew, almost got beaten up there.

[33] Knob Goblin Harem [2,7,9]
     +> [33] Got Knob Goblin harem pants, Knob Goblin harem veil, Knob Goblin perfume, disease
     }> [33] Disintegrated Knob Goblin Harem Girl
     -> Turn [33] Stinky Gravy Fairy
[34-43] Guano Junction [33,23,95]
     +> [34] Got sonar-in-a-biscuit
     +> [35] Got baseball
     +> [38] Got sonar-in-a-biscuit
     +> [42] Got broken skull
     +> [43] Got sonar-in-a-biscuit
     -> Turn [43] Frumious Bandersnatch
[44-49] Boss Bat's Lair [15,32,88]
     +> [49] Got Boss Bat bandana, Boss Bat britches
     o> Drank 1 bottle of peppermint schnapps (11 adventures gained) [21,30,33]
     o> Drank 1 corpsetini (26 adventures gained) [0,0,70]
     #> Turn [49] pulled 1 corpsetini
hit 15 mys, cast mojo, regen mp. Now I have 3 songs in my head and can't cast ode, so what do I do? shrug mojo, of course! Duh. I have to cast and regen again, losing ~500 meat in the process. Again, not something that will spoil my run, but still sloppy. Maybe I need some caffeine.

I didn't really need the corpsetini adventures yet, but it's part of my planned consumable diet for day 1, so I take it while I have ode active. This seems like a good time to use some runaways, so I head to the spooky forest for my larva.

[50-56] Spooky Forest [16,9,43]
     +> [50] Got spices
     +> [56] Got mosquito larva
     &> 4 / 4 free retreats
7 adventures to get a larva? really? plus 4 runaways? rng....*shaking fist*

[57-67] Typical Tavern Quest [56,55,158]
     => Level 6 (Turn 64)! (17/17/29)
I hit level 6 2 adventures ahead of my 4/773 run, which is slightly better than last time, and I've done the boss bat (good) but not the tavern quest (bad).

[68-70] Moxie Vacation [0,0,0]
     +> [70] Got barbed-wire fence
I kinda wish I knew what this "shorebuffering" everyone always talks about is. I just space out my trips every 35 adventures so I collect the NS tower items. A major piece of knowledge I'm lacking...at least, I think it's major.

[71-72] Typical Tavern Quest [15,7,28]
     +> [72] Got Typical Tavern swill, Typical Tavern swill, Typical Tavern swill
[73] King's Chamber [18,23,44]
     +> [73] Got Cobb's Knob lab key, Crown of the Goblin King
     -> Turn [73] Stinky Gravy Fairy
[74-75] 8-Bit Realm [9,12,16]
hmm. fought a koopa troopa with 92.52% item drop (according to mafia), and no white pixel (50% according to wiki, for a total 3.74% chance of not getting the white pixel). Getting the pixel means one pie guarantees finishing the key. Oh well, I found a blooper on the next turn, so I guess I'm ok with it. Putty up the blooper and fight it.

#> Turn [75] pulled 1 Mae West
     #> Turn [75] pulled 1 corpsetini
     #> Turn [75] pulled 1 digital key lime pie
     #> Turn [75] pulled 1 star key lime pie
     #> Turn [75] pulled 1 milk of magnesium
[76-79] Spooky Putty Monster [17,24,49]
     +> [78] Got scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff apple sticker, scratch 'n' sniff apple sticker
     +> [78] Got scratch 'n' sniff dragon sticker, scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker, scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker, scratch 'n' sniff unicorn sticker
     +> [78] Got scratch 'n' sniff wrestler sticker
     +> [79] Got scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff apple sticker, scratch 'n' sniff apple sticker
     +> [79] Got scratch 'n' sniff dragon sticker, scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker, scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker, scratch 'n' sniff unicorn sticker
     +> [79] Got scratch 'n' sniff wrestler sticker
     o> Drank 1 Mae West (20 adventures gained) [0,0,43]
     o> Ate 2 can of franks 'n' beans (22 adventures gained) [47,64,60]
     o> Drank 1 corpsetini (27 adventures gained) [0,0,75]
     o> Ate 1 digital key lime pie (23 adventures gained) [12,14,15]
     o> Ate 1 fortune cookie (2 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
     o> Used 5 moxie weed [0,0,11]
     o> Ate 1 star key lime pie (17 adventures gained) [22,23,20]
Don't know what's going on here with the parser, but obviously those stickers didn't get cast until day 2. Anyway, I want the bloopers to be the very last thing I do on day 1, so that I spend a minimum of turns without my mitre equipped.

woo, 10 white pixels from my pie! only needed 9, but still. 4 stars and 3 lines from my star pie, which is great too - 1/9 chance I can get away with only eating 2 pies. More importantly, a 0% chance I need to pull a star or a line, which i did last ascension.

End of Day 1. Let's assess. I pulled everything I planned to pull, but I did have 1 drunk go unused as I never picked up beer during the tavern quest. I was planning on generating 202 adventures today, but wound up with 204 thanks to delaying drinking the schnapps until I could cast ode to booze. I've spent 79 adventures today, which is 4 more than I spent on day 1 of my practice run, but I've also finished the boss bat and goblin king quests, which I didn't do until day 2. I estimate I'm about 13 adventures ahead of pace, which is great -- I only expected to trim 4 adventures off day 1. I'm expecting most of the savings to come on days 2 and 3, when I'll be able to reap the benefit of stat days. Basically, everything is going according to plan. My plan for day 2 thus remains entirely unchanged.
Last edited by Kelemvor on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Day 2

Goals for today:
- finish digital and star keys
- get the sleazy back alley semi-rare, to have high-quality booze filler
- zap the dwarven miner and a hippy
- putty the ASCII semi-rare
- Bank as many adventures as possible for day 3, to take advantage of festival of jarlsberg.

===Day 2===
Adventure count at day start: 173
Current meat: 10527

#> Turn [79] pulled 1 ring of conflict
     #> Turn [79] pulled 1 monster bait
     #> Turn [79] pulled 1 Mr. Accessory Jr.
     #> Turn [79] pulled 1 stuffed shoulder parrot
     #> Turn [79] pulled 1 swashbuckling pants
     #> Turn [79] pulled 3 Breathetastic? Premium Canned Air
     #> Turn [79] pulled 1 Sneaky Pete's key lime pie
     #> Turn [79] pulled 1 star key lime pie
     #> Turn [79] pulled 1 filthy lucre
     #> Turn [79] pulled 2 oily mushroom wine
     #> Turn [79] pulled 1 jar of squeeze
     #> Turn [174] pulled 3 asbestos ore
     #> Turn [355] pulled 1 Boris's key lime pie
     #> Turn [355] pulled 1 Jarlsberg's key lime pie
     #> Turn [355] pulled 1 star chart
     #> Turn [355] pulled 1 jar of squeeze
[80-81] Spooky Putty Monster [10,13,24]
     o> Ate 1 Sneaky Pete's key lime pie (20 adventures gained) [0,0,39]
     o> Drank 2 bottle of peppermint schnapps (22 adventures gained) [53,56,75]
     o> Ate 1 bowl of Bounty-Os (18 adventures gained) [15,22,28]
     o> Ate 1 can of franks 'n' beans (9 adventures gained) [35,29,42]
     o> Ate 1 star key lime pie (22 adventures gained) [23,25,30]
     -> Turn [81] Frumious Bandersnatch
Day 2 begin! pull food and booze, fight 2 bloopers for my digital key. eat while milk is active - f yeah baby, finished my star key in 2 pies! that leaves me an extra pull, which I'll use either to generate stats or turns on day 3, as required. mmm, 268 adventures of crimbo nostalgia sure looks good.

[82-99] Haunted Billiards Room [109,109,336]
     +> [95] Got pool cue
     -> Turn [98] He-Boulder
     -> Turn [99] Stinky Gravy Fairy
     &> 4 / 4 free retreats
     => Level 7 (Turn 87)! (25/26/40)
18 adventures to open the library? seriously?

[100-101] Haunted Library [11,20,37]
     +> [100] Got inkwell
[102-104] Muscle Vacation [19,0,0]
my parade of sad luck continues as I shore for a stick of dynamite and get muscle stats instead. how many adv do I need between shores to guaranteed the tower drop, again? I thought it was 30, but I guess not. I did get an inkwell and a tatter, so I guess that's something. ooh, next fight I get quill pen and another inkwell - now I can make afue, if I also get 3 thin black candles.

[105-107] Haunted Library [8,20,41]
     -> Turn [107] He-Boulder
Pull out the He-boulder again for a major red ray, and this time it only takes me one combat to do it right.

[108-110] Dark Elbow of the Woods [32,21,44]
     +> [110] Got eldritch butterknife
     -> Turn [108] Frumious Bandersnatch
[111] Dark Heart of the Woods [0,0,0]
This is the second place where I feel like I'm missing out on cutting-edge knowledge. What do people mean when they say they come here to burn delay()? I know what delay is, but delay one big pool, or is it set separately for each zone? more importantly, how do i burn delay? Anyway, I run 15% noncombats the whole time, for lack of better knowledge.

[112] Sleazy Back Alley [0,0,0]
     #> [112] Semirare: In the Still of the Alley
[113-122] Dark Heart of the Woods [53,47,174]
     +> [122] Got box of birthday candles
[123-131] Dark Neck of the Woods [47,51,165]
     +> [125] Got ruby W
     +> [128] Got wussiness potion
     +> [131] Got dodecagram
The elbow goes great; I grab the semi-rare and move on. dang, I see 4 ncs in the dark heart to get the birthday candles. grr.

Also, at some point I'm fighting and my screen goes blank. When I log out and back in, I find I'm beaten up. Whaa? Seems like a bug. Whatever, I fight through the beaten effect, 'cause that's how I roll.

[132] Defiled Niche [9,7,27]
[133-137] Defiled Nook [30,30,103]
     +> [134] Got skeleton bone, smart skull
     +> [135] Got loose teeth
     +> [137] Got skeleton bone, smart skull
[138-139] Defiled Nook [21,28,79]
     +> [139] Got skeleton bone, skeleton bone
[140-141] Defiled Cranny [20,12,49]
[142-144] Muscle Vacation [0,0,0]
     +> [144] Got stick of dynamite
[145-158] Defiled Alcove [101,118,362]
     +> [148] Got rusty grave robbing shovel
     +> [149] Got loose teeth
     => Level 8 (Turn 155)! (32/32/53)
[159-165] Defiled Niche [46,61,192]
[166-174] Defiled Cranny [69,68,237]
     #> Turn [174] pulled 3 asbestos ore
     -> Turn [174] He-Boulder
wow, i'm getting f'd by the crypt. seriously. 40 adventures and only 1 boss seen/defeated. what is up?

Maybe I don't know the right strategy here. Stupac2's softcore guide says to just run +noncombat the whole time, which is what I do. Is that not right? In any case, I'm frustrated, and I hit level 8, so I head off to do something else.

[175-176] Itznotyerzitz Mine [19,2,25]
     +> [176] Got 7-Foot Dwarven mattock, miner's helmet, miner's pants
     }> [176] Disintegrated 7-Foot Dwarf Foreman
[177] Goatlet [0,0,0]
     -> Turn [177] Frumious Bandersnatch
[178-179] Defiled Cranny [30,29,66]
[180-182] Defiled Niche [30,31,111]
[183] Defiled Alcove [19,22,43]
     +> [183] Got loose teeth
[184-186] Mysticality Vacation [0,0,0]
     +> [186] Got ten-leaf clover, tropical orchid
[187] Sewer With Clovers [0,0,0]
     +> [187] Got spices, stolen accordion, worthless trinket
I suppose I could have done this on day 1.

[188-200] Haunted Bedroom [122,248,393]
     +> [189] Got Lord Spookyraven's spectacles
[201-206] Barrrney's Barrr [51,45,130]
     +> [201] Got bottle of rum
     +> [205] Got bottle of rum
[207] Cap'm Caronch's Map [5,15,33]
[208-212] Barrrney's Barrr [30,31,128]
     +> [210] Got bottle of rum
     +> [211] Got bottle of rum
[213] Orcish Frathouse Blueprints [0,0,0]
[214-215] Barrrney's Barrr [0,0,0]
     -> Turn [215] Stinky Gravy Fairy
[216-232] F'c'le [422,303,866]
     +> [225] Got rigging shampoo
     +> [226] Got mizzenmast mop
     +> [231] Got ball polish
     o> Ate 1 fortune cookie (1 adventures gained) [0,0,0]
     => Level 9 (Turn 224)! (39/41/68)
unlocking the ballroom is on par with my practice run; gathering insults goes pretty fast since I'm running +combat. 6 insults in, I decide to start beer pong, and win on the first try. nice.

unlocking the poop deck seems slow. I use brother corsican's blessing to help speed up my fairy leveling, but I suspect more item drop here would help, maybe. I usually save all my unicorn stickers to make sure I have 3 for the filthworm quest; should I be using one here (or two, in this case, as I have four already)?

at this point I'm about a quarter through level 9, but with 45 adv to go until my semi-rare. i don't want to start the rofl quest yet, as I want to be able to feed scrolls to the first adding machine I see (and I want to do this on day 3 to use the one putty I'm not using on lobsterfrogmen). tomrrow's plan involves zapping both bob racecar and the war frat, and I want to make sure I can spend 150 adventures between them efficiently so I'm saving the goatlet. that leaves the ballroom.

[233-254] Haunted Ballroom [133,136,1223]
     +> [249] Got dance card
     +> [250] Got dance card
     o> Used 3 Breathetastic? Premium Canned Air (68 adventures gained) [201,205,240]
forget what I said earlier. I'm going to need to level up tomorrow anyway. might as well use that as my buffer. so, doing the goatlet now.

[255-268] Goatlet [136,125,294]
     +> [257] Got glass of goat's milk, goat cheese
     +> [259] Got glass of goat's milk, goat cheese
     +> [261] Got goat cheese
     +> [263] Got bottle of whiskey
     +> [265] Got goat cheese
     +> [266] Got goat cheese
     +> [268] Got goat cheese
     o> Drank 2 distilled fortified wine (15 adventures gained) [11,10,15]
     o> Drank 2 oily mushroom wine (37 adventures gained) [25,27,36]
     -> Turn [268] Frumious Bandersnatch
     &> 2 / 2 free retreats
and I'm rewarded for it, with a very speedy (for not having olfaction) 14 turn goatlet.

now seems like a good time to booze up; I still have a runaway to burn. off to the spooky forest to try to open the hidden temple. I use one runaway on a triffid, and then do some quick math -- I've got four icy revenge hearts and I only need 2 plus sympathy, leash, and lbof to pass the NS familiar tests,, so I burn two for another runaway as I'm only planning to play 60 more adv today and won't be getting that last runaway by leveling up my familiar.

[269] Haert of the Cyrpt [27,36,89]
     +> [269] Got chest of the Bonerdagon, skull of the Bonerdagon, vertebra of the Bonerdagon
     o> Used 1 chest of the Bonerdagon [150,150,187]
     -> Turn [269] Stinky Gravy Fairy
[270] Beanbat Chamber [5,4,17]
     +> [270] Got enchanted bean
     -> Turn [270] Frumious Bandersnatch
     => Level 10 (Turn 270)! (50/51/85)
Whew, hit level 10 just in time to have something to do.

[271-277] Fantasy Airship [74,88,227]
     +> [273] Got metallic A
     +> [275] Got photoprotoneutron torpedo
     -> Turn [277] He-Boulder
got hair gel, torpedo, A. love today's bounty - if I do it right, arcanodiodes may not take any extra turns to acquire.

[278] Orc Chasm [17,17,33]
     #> [278] Semirare: Bad ASCII Art
     +> [278] Got 30669 scroll, 33398 scroll, 334 scroll, 334 scroll
     -> Turn [278] Frumious Bandersnatch
[279-280] Spooky Putty Monster [20,20,50]
     #> [279] Semirare: Bad ASCII Art
     +> [279] Got 30669 scroll, 33398 scroll, 334 scroll, 334 scroll
     #> [280] Semirare: Bad ASCII Art
     +> [280] Got 30669 scroll, 33398 scroll, 334 scroll, 334 scroll
     -> Turn [280] Stinky Gravy Fairy
aw fuck. my first major mistake of the run. I kill two puttied asciis, but forget to putty on the last one. on the bright side, my last run only had 2 scrolls (so I'm not missing out on much), and this means I can move up puttying the adding machine to today. since the adding maching handles 4 adds apiece with the ml I have, this means I use gravy fairy for more scrolls -- I can feed 12 adds to the adding machines but only have enough scrolls to feed 7.

Thinking about it some more, my original plan seems flawed. Using all four putties (excluding the blooper at the beginning of the day) on the ascii would mean 11 adds, and having one putty tomorrow means only fighting two adding machines, leaving me 3 adds short of making two more 31337 scrolls. So maybe my mistake is for the best?

[281-299] Orc Chasm [188,181,406]
     +> [282] Got 334 scroll
     +> [283] Got 30669 scroll
     +> [285] Got 334 scroll
     +> [286] Got 33398 scroll
     +> [289] Got 30669 scroll
     +> [291] Got 334 scroll
     +> [293] Got lowercase N
     +> [295] Got 334 scroll
     +> [296] Got 30669 scroll
     +> [297] Got 334 scroll
     -> Turn [299] Frumious Bandersnatch
wow, nice luck. it takes me 19 adventures to find the adding machine (bad), but in the meantime I think every monster I fight that can drop either a 334 scroll or a 30669 scroll, does (good). So now I have enough scrolls to make 4 31337 scrolls plus the quest scroll. I'll need 11 adds to do that, and I have two putties left, so that's perfect.

Doh! my gravy fairy unfortunately has fireworks equipped, so I only get 2 adds before I kill the adding machine. I need 12 to make all the scrolls I have, so I'm going to put off fighting the putties until I do the giant castle, hoping to get a giant needle. I might also use my purse rat a little to get some easy levels, hoping the ML boost I get is enough to get me a fifth add.

[300-316] Fantasy Airship [131,144,399]
     +> [300] Got Tissue Paper Immateria
     +> [301] Got ocarina of space
     +> [308] Got Tin Foil Immateria
     +> [309] Got Gauze Immateria
     +> [312] Got Plastic Wrap Immateria
     +> [313] Got filthy lucre
     +> [315] Got S.O.C.K.
woo, easy lucre! what to spend it on...zombies? more bounty-os? not really sure here. I've never spent lucre, ever, as I'm saving up for olfaction like a good little (wannabe) diamond. I was tempted to buy the hound dog, just for the contest, though.

[317-326] Giant's Castle [242,43,106]
     +> [317] Got plot hole
     +> [321] Got thin black candle
     +> [323] Got giant needle
     +> [324] Got thin black candle
     +> [325] Got awful poetry journal
     -> Turn [326] Purse Rat
phew, got my giant needle. hopefully this means I'll be able to buff ml enough.

I'm a thin black candle short. oh well, I'm outta here.

airship and castle go really fast; I'm way underleveled. to the ballroom, and it hits me - I can use the song for more ml! huzzah. gonna level my purse rat once, then fight the first putty and see if I get 5 adds in (if not, i'll level the purse rat some more).

[327-334] Haunted Ballroom [55,76,425]
     -> Turn [332] Stinky Gravy Fairy
     -> Turn [334] He-Boulder
[335-336] Hippy Camp [4,6,20]
     +> [335] Got filthy knitted dread sack
     +> [336] Got filthy corduroys
     }> [336] Disintegrated filthy hippy jewelry maker
     -> Turn [336] Purse Rat
[337-338] Spooky Putty Monster [20,16,48]
     +> [337] Got 31337 scroll, 31337 scroll, 64735 scroll
     +> [338] Got 31337 scroll, 31337 scroll, ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover
     +> [338] Got ten-leaf clover
     o> Used 1 stat script [106,140,183]
     -> Turn [338] Stinky Gravy Fairy
I realize I can't use the giant needle since I don't have the required muscle (doh -- at least I didn't spend extra turns looking for it), but my first adding machine takes 5 adds, so I only need 4 for the second. all my scrolls are made, and I've got 8 clovers and 3 more trinkets.

I've got some turns to burn here before banking, else I might be over the 200 limit. I'll need to level up to 11 to start the next quest, so I head back to the ballroom for more powerleveling.

[339-355] Haunted Ballroom [131,164,1005]
     +> [340] Got dance card
     +> [345] Got dance card
     o> Drank 1 distilled fortified wine (8 adventures gained) [6,5,7]
     o> Drank 2 jar of squeeze (65 adventures gained) [70,81,96]
     #> Turn [355] pulled 1 Boris's key lime pie
     #> Turn [355] pulled 1 Jarlsberg's key lime pie
     #> Turn [355] pulled 1 star chart
     #> Turn [355] pulled 1 jar of squeeze
     -> Turn [355] Frumious Bandersnatch
crimbo nostalgia finally wears off at turn 349. sniff.

I pull two pies for tomorrow, since I have some pulls to spare in my plan and I know I need to eat those.

Day 2 is over, and I'm banking 140 adventures so that I can take advantage of FoJ tomorrow. I'm not having trouble running my buffs, but I do have to micro them pretty closely. I expected to generate 494 adventures through two days, and I'm right on target, having 495. I've spent 355 adventures so far, which is fantastic - my last run took me 384, and I've got 6-8 more clovers depending on how many are available tomorrow, so I'm expecting to cut roughly 35 more adventures off getting to level 11.
Last edited by Kelemvor on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KujjieKujjieKoo
Spade Ninja

Post by KujjieKujjieKoo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Kelemvor wrote:I kinda wish I knew what this "shorebuffering" everyone always talks about is. I just space out my trips every 35 adventures so I collect the NS tower items. A major piece of knowledge I'm lacking...at least, I think it's major.
I described what I consider shore-buffering here: viewtopic.php?t=2354

In short, it's a method to control when you see your semi-rare counter. As most of us know, your semi-rare will appear every 160-200 adventures. This number is shorter for oxy runs: 100-120. Now, just because you need 160-200 adventures until your semi-rare does *not* mean the adventure will necessarily occur between adventure numbers 160-200. This is where various buffering comes in.

The semi-rare counter will not set until you adventure in a zone which uses Adventure.php. Some notable zones which do not use this: Sewer, Guild, Shore, Barrels, etc. So, by spending turns in these zones before hitting a "normal" area, you can effectively modify when you'll see your semi-rare adventure.

Example 1:
[1] Sewer
[2-3] Guild
[4] Outskirts of the Knob.

Now, since your first adventure which uses Adventure.php occurred on turn 4, your semi-rare adventure will appear between turns 164-204.

Example 2:
Ascend Oxy
[1] Outskirts of the Knob
Drop Oxy Path.

In this example, you hit an adventure.php zone while under Oxy restrictions. This sets your initial semi-rare counter to 100-120. You may now drop the oxy path, enabling you to eat and drink, while experiencing a shorter first semi. (Note: your second semi-rare will occur 160-200 turns after the first, or somewhere between 260-320).

Example 3:
[1] Sewer
[2-5] Guild Challenge
[6-8] Shore Trip 1
[9-11] Shore Trip 2
[12-15] Shore Trip 3
[16-18] Shore Trip 4
[19] Outskirts of the Knob

In this case, you first use the Adventure.php script on turn 19, which means your semi-rare will appear between turns 179-219.

Using various buffers, you can help delay (or speed up, in the case of oxy), when you want to find semi-rare adventures. This is most notable when you're trying to hit a specific semi-rare at a specific time. In the log I noted above, I was attempting to time the ASCII art as my first semi-rare. In order to give myself as much time to level as possible, I wanted to delay the semi-rare counter as much as I possibly could. I then was going to rely on the clovers gained from the ASCII art to continue to level me onwards to level 10. For that run, I was successful, and turned in a very nice overall turncount.

Recap:
You can buffer your semi-rare adventures by spending turns in areas which do not use Adventure.php. In the case where you are using your shore turns to buffer the semi-rare counter, you're shore-buffering.
Last edited by KujjieKujjieKoo on Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Day 3

Goals:
- keep pulls to a minimum. I'm deathly afraid of getting screwed and coming up a pull short -- the first time I came close to being subronin, gate 1 was gremlin juice and I lost a day and 60 turns because I couldn't get it to drop and I didn't have one in Hangnk's. This time, I've stocked Hagnk's with everything I need, but I'm still worried that I might need as many as 14 pulls (gate 1, gate 2, 3-4 for gate 3, 6 tower items, wand of nagamar...yeah, ok, I'm paranoid).
- generate enough turns to finish the ascension. I'm thinking it's going to take 700 turns, so that's what I'm aiming for.
- solve the open question: should I zap Bob Racecar to get the ketchup hound and stunt nuts, pull them, or farm them? If I try to farm them, it could add several turns and I'm worried about generating enough as it is. If I pull them, I might run out of pulls. If I zap him, I might not have enough adventures to recharge the yellow ray in time to zap the war frat.

Day 3 begin! Today is going to be a lot more free-form, as I try to save up pulls for the NS tower. Start with a jar of squeeze, and head to spooky forest to use my runaways.

[356-359] Spooky Forest [0,0,0]
     +> [356] Got Spooky Temple map
     +> [358] Got spooky sapling
     +> [359] Got Spooky-Gro fertilizer
     -> Turn [359] Stinky Gravy Fairy
     &> 1 / 1 free retreats
Yay, spooky mushrooms for a grue omelette! I was originally planning on eating three pies today, but since my star key is done, the replacement is a grue egg omelette, which I no longer have to pull.

Pretty much a perfect run in the forest - one adventure to get the spooky mushroom, then three consecutive non-combats to open the hidden temple. I've got plenty of runaways. will look for a good place to use them later. combats in the ballroom?

[360-363] Haunted Ballroom [11,4,595]
     +> [360] Got ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover
     => Level 11 (Turn 363)! (60/60/104)
[364-370] Black Forest [58,94,147]
     +> [366] Got adder bladder, sunken eyes
     +> [369] Got scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker, scratch 'n' sniff apple sticker
     +> [369] Got scratch 'n' sniff apple sticker, scratch 'n' sniff dragon sticker, scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker, scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker
     +> [369] Got scratch 'n' sniff unicorn sticker
     +> [370] Got broken wings
A handful of adventures to level up, and my luck continues to roll - black market map on turn 1. forest goes quickly and I unlock the market.

[371-373] Moxie Vacation [0,0,0]
     -> Turn [373] He-Boulder
[374-383] Poop Deck [90,82,615]
     -> Turn [374] Frumious Bandersnatch
     &> 4 / 4 free retreats
[384-397] Belowdecks [154,166,443]
     +> [387] Got acoustic guitarrr
     +> [395] Got snakehead charrrm
     +> [397] Got snakehead charrrm
     o> Used 3 Breathetastic? Premium Canned Air (70 adventures gained) [199,202,240]
     #> Turn [397] pulled 3 Breathetastic? Premium Canned Air
     -> Turn [385] Stinky Gravy Fairy
     -> Turn [390] Frumious Bandersnatch
[398] Cook 1 grue egg + 1 spooky mushroom [0,0,0]
poop deck takes a bit longer than I'd like, but I manage to pickpocket a guitarrr in belowdecks, saving me a pull. sweet. cook up a grue omelette and I'm off to the palindome. decision time: zap or no zap?

I go with no zap - I'm up two pulls from my estimate, thanks to the 2 star key lime pies finishing my key and the grue egg omelette, so while I'd like to keep those pulls free for the NS, I could use them in the palindome if need be.

[399-410] Palindome [178,182,507]
     +> [399] Got hard-boiled ostrich egg
     +> [401] Got photograph of God
     +> [404] Got ketchup hound, stunt nuts
     +> [407] Got hard rock candy
     -> Turn [400] Stinky Gravy Fairy
     -> Turn [404] Frumious Bandersnatch
no zap turns out to be the right decision - I get the ketchup hound and stunt nuts from bob racecar on the first try. Also factoring in to the decision was that they drop at close to 30%, as opposed to the other things I've zapped for. Err, for which I've zapped.

[411] Cook 1 stunt nuts + 1 wet stew [0,0,0]
     #> Turn [411] pulled 1 wet stew
This is only the second time I got beat up this run, which is a new record for me, and probably suggests I should be running more +ML. Anyway, I waste two ailment ointments healing before I realize that the turn I spend cooking will heal me thanks to the pilgrim shield. It's a little thing, I know, but little things can add up...

[412-413] Knob Goblin Laboratory [0,0,0]
     +> [413] Got Mega Gem
[414] Desert (Unhydrated) [0,0,0]
     +> [414] Got ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover
[415-416] Oasis in the Desert [16,9,37]
     +> [416] Got drum machine
     -> Turn [416] Stinky Gravy Fairy
Just remembered to check the hermit. 3 more clovers today! somebody up there likes me.

Oops, I accidentally adventured in oasis instead of going to find gnasir, but got a drum machine on the first try. woot and woot!

[417-419] Desert (Ultrahydrated) [25,22,71]
[420-421] Oasis in the Desert [15,9,30]
     +> [421] Got stone rose
     -> Turn [420] Frumious Bandersnatch
     -> Turn [421] Stinky Gravy Fairy
[422-425] Desert (Ultrahydrated) [26,20,69]
[426-429] Oasis in the Desert [11,14,33]
     +> [426] Got worm-riding manual page 1
     +> [428] Got worm-riding manual page 2
     +> [429] Got worm-riding manual pages 3-15
     -> Turn [427] Frumious Bandersnatch
[430-434] Desert (Ultrahydrated) [54,56,120]
     +> [434] Got worm-riding hooks
     -> Turn [430] Stinky Gravy Fairy
doh, forgot to requip my Mr. a jr after the palindome. might I have gotten a bronzed locust in one of the two fights I had with it off? hopefully that won't bite me later.

a third plaque of locusts, and no bronze here, either, even with the Mr. A Jr equipped.

[435-439] Haunted Ballroom [33,28,224]
[440-444] Hidden Temple [0,50,63]
[445-463] Hidden City [268,221,642]
     +> [455] Got pygmy blowgun
no pygmy pygment in 3 fights. blowgun on second try.

[464-466] Haunted Wine Cellar [58,38,103]
     +> [464] Got dusty bottle of Muscat
     +> [465] Got dusty bottle of Muscat, dusty bottle of Port, dusty bottle of Zinfandel
     +> [466] Got dusty bottle of Merlot, dusty bottle of Port
wow, got all three wines in one fight. first time ever. I suspect once I perm the passive item drops, that'll happen a lot more often.

[467-475] Haunted Ballroom [28,42,1590]
     +> [468] Got dance card
     +> [469] Got dance card
     +> [472] Got ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover, ten-leaf clover
     => Level 12 (Turn 475)! (69/69/125)
[476] Giant's Castle [0,0,0]
     #> [476] Semirare: All The Rave
     -> Turn [476] He-Boulder
[477] Hippy Camp [0,0,125]
[478-481] Wartime Hippy Camp [300,100,0]
[482] Frat House [50,0,0]
[483] Wartime Frat House (Hippy Disguise) [13,12,27]
     +> [483] Got beer helmet, bejeweled pledge pin, distressed denim pants
     }> [483] Disintegrated War Pledge
     -> Turn [483] Frumious Bandersnatch
[484] Hippy Camp [9,9,44]
[485-495] Wartime Hippy Camp (Frat Disguise) [127,103,374]
     +> [486] Got reinforced beaded headband
     +> [487] Got bullet-proof corduroys
     -> Turn [494] Stinky Gravy Fairy
     -> Turn [495] Purse Rat
saving the three bosses to flyer and clover-leveling to 12 to start the war. waste 5 turns trying to non-combat the hippy suit; give up. I get 3 noncombats before I get the one to start the war; bleh.

Also, I should have run +combat in the frat house, which might have saved me hitting a poor off-stat non-combat. Switching to the purse rat to do flyers.

[496] Next to that Barrel with Something Burning in it [19,13,33]
     +> [496] Got molybdenum hammer
[497] Over Where the Old Tires Are [12,12,43]
     +> [497] Got molybdenum crescent wrench
[498-499] Near an Abandoned Refrigerator [34,26,71]
     +> [499] Got molybdenum pliers
[500-506] Out By that Rusted-Out Car [109,90,285]
     +> [506] Got molybdenum screwdriver
     #> Turn [506] pulled 1 tomb ratchet
     #> Turn [506] pulled 1 star hat
     #> Turn [506] pulled 1 star crossbow
junkyard starts off great, with three tools in the first four combats. last tool takes a while, and a lot of healing. I could have alternated sonofa to get passive healing from the shield, I guess. oh well.

[507] Palindome [37,38,85]
     -> Turn [507] Frumious Bandersnatch
[508] Haunted Ballroom [7,9,37]
[509] Hidden City (Altar of Pikachutlotal) [0,0,0]
[510] Hidden City (Altar of Squirtlcthulli) [0,0,0]
[511] Hidden City (Altar of Charcoatl) [0,0,0]
[512] Hidden City (Altar of Bulbazinalli) [0,0,0]
[513] Hidden City (Smallish Temple) [37,33,89]
[514] Summoning Chamber [35,29,95]
     -> Turn [514] Purse Rat
head off to finish the macguffin quest, which goes well; I do switch to the bander to do the spirit since I don't have any spells permed and will need several rounds to kill him with my dragon sticker. I think I'm pretty ahead on pulls and I look good on turns (I might be able to save some pulls by not having to generate as many turns), so I pull a tomb ratchet and go to work.

[515-518] The Middle Chamber [14,14,39]
     -> Turn [517] Frumious Bandersnatch
[519] The Lower Chambers (Token/Empty) [0,0,0]
[520-529] The Middle Chamber [74,77,264]
[530] The Lower Chambers (Rubble/Bomb) [0,0,0]
[531-535] The Middle Chamber [28,23,91]
[536] The Lower Chambers (Empty/Empty/Ed's Chamber) [0,0,0]
[537] The Lower Chambers (Empty/Rubble) [23,20,64]
This is the first time I've done the middle chamber with 20% NC instead of 15% (usually I turn off the song while opening the wine cellar), and overall it saved me two turns, including the turns I spend later to turn off the song before the lighthouse quest.

[538-543] Ed the Undying [121,118,411]
     -> Turn [543] Purse Rat
[544-547] Haunted Ballroom [26,22,427]
     +> [544] Got dance card
     -> Turn [547] Stinky Gravy Fairy
[548-549] Hatching Chamber [24,27,79]
[550-554] Feeding Chamber [67,72,177]
[555-560] Guards' Chamber [95,83,211]
     -> Turn [560] Purse Rat
[561] Queen's Chamber [12,10,52]
filthworms goes a little slower than expected. still not enough flyers to finish yet; head to ballroom to level. I have one extra unicorn sticker but I'm going to hold on to it in case I need it later for backfarming a tower item. I told you I was paranoid.

[562] Wartime Sonofa Beach [13,13,39]
     +> [562] Got barrel of gunpowder
[563-567] Spooky Putty Monster [69,79,174]
     +> [563] Got barrel of gunpowder
     +> [564] Got barrel of gunpowder
     +> [565] Got barrel of gunpowder
     +> [566] Got barrel of gunpowder
Hitting the lighthouse; see a lobsterfrogman on turn 1, nice! I accidentally putty a last time and wind up with six barrels of gunpowder. oh well, I don't have the hippy outfit, so I can't use the last putty on the nuns trick anyway.

[568-576] Haunted Ballroom [69,65,1043]
     +> [570] Got dance card
     +> [575] Got dance card
     -> Turn [576] Frumious Bandersnatch
need about 9 turns to finish flyering (another indication I need more +ML), then back to island. I'm going to use the hobo monkey with brother corsican's blessing to prep for nuns.

[577-593] Battlefield (Frat Uniform) [219,201,681]
     -> Turn [585] Hobo Monkey
[594-612] Themthar Hills [277,258,638]
     o> Ate 1 Boris's key lime pie (13 adventures gained) [30,0,0]
     o> Ate 1 Jarlsberg's key lime pie (14 adventures gained) [0,28,0]
     -> Turn [612] Frumious Bandersnatch
[613-639] Battlefield (Frat Uniform) [380,384,1107]
     => Level 13 (Turn 623)! (83/81/148)
[640] The Big Wisniewski [75,72,159]
     +> [640] Got ten-leaf clover
     #> Turn [640] pulled 1 gremlin juice
     #> Turn [640] pulled 1 Meleegra? pills
     #> Turn [640] pulled 1 ring of teleportation
     -> Turn [640] Stinky Gravy Fairy
gates are great to me. teleportitis means pulling a ring and then ditching it. calculate pulls and see I have plenty to spare; I've also got a yelow ray ready but it'll save me a turn to pull instead. at this point, I'm almost 100% confident I have enough pulls and turns to do this thing in 3 days.

[641-644] Sorceress' Hedge Maze [31,37,79]
     -> Turn [644] Frumious Bandersnatch
Nice, only had to fight two golems.

I look over the list of tower items, and realize I have all but 9 of them, with 9 pulls remaining. I consider pulling 8 of the 9 plus the wand of nagamar, so that I won't lose any turns running away if I'm missing something, but this would mean I'd have no pulls remaining, and that scares me, just in case something goes wrong.

[645] Sorceress Tower: Level 1 [42,46,107]
     #> Turn [645] pulled 1 NG
     &> 1 / 1 free retreats
[646] Sorceress Tower: Level 2 [60,51,100]
     #> Turn [646] pulled 1 spider web
     -> Turn [646] Baby Sandworm
     &> 1 / 1 free retreats
[647-648] Sorceress Tower: Level 3 [43,43,137]
     #> Turn [647] pulled 1 mariachi G-string
I have a free runaway and 3 icy revenge hearts, so I switch to the bandersnatch so that I can run away if I need to pull an item. I also use two of the hearts to buff up enough to use a second runaway. Having to pull three items in the first three fights is the kind of thing that keeps me paranoid about saving 12 pulls for the tower.

I switch to the sandworm for the massive stats, just to eke out an extra moxie/muscle or two. It usually takes me 30-40 rounds to plink away at the NS using a sniffbow, using 2 wrestler stickers (to avoid getting hit) and a rock band sticker (to not run out of rounds), so an extra point or two might come in handy.

[649] Sorceress Tower: Level 4 [47,41,125]
[650] Sorceress Tower: Level 5 [52,40,129]
[651] Sorceress Tower: Level 6 [51,36,127]
[652] Sorceress Tower: Shadow Fight [54,61,114]
     +> [652] Got agua de vida
     #> Turn [652] pulled 1 Wand of Nagamar
     -> Turn [652] Levitating Potato
oops. icy revenge fail! I go cold for a second as I realize I needed 2 icy revenge hearts to get +5 familiar weight, and I used 2 of my remaining 3 to get a free runaway. However, that was recent enough that my last icy revenge heart gets me up to 9 adventures of the effect remaining, which is enough to get 4 pounds of buff out of it. Phew!

[653] Sorceress Tower: Naughty Sorceress [0,0,0]
Wow. 3/653. In my wildest dreams I didn't think I'd be this far under 700, especially with the lack of Mr. Store items and experience. koldb says this is the fastest run for a player with under 10 skills by over 200 turns and the fastest run by a player with under 25 skills not named Pantsless or stupac2 (I think I've heard of those guys). I'm sure some other great runs will happen for the contest, but man, I'm super excited of what I've done.

Well, just checked the competition and it looks like Nomen Nescio and Liizu are joining the <25 skill, 3/<650 club. So I won't be winning the contest, but I'm still damn proud of this run! Congratulations to those two (and everyone who participated) and a hearty thanks again to AfHk for hosting it!

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:34 pm

I've got plenty of runaways. will look for a good place to use them later. combats in the ballroom?
Oasis and Desert to preserve Ultrahydrated is always a good option.
not named Pantsless or stupac2 (I think I've heard of those guys)
Yeah, they're noobs.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

Kelemvor
AFH

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:45 pm

Analysis (work in progress)

I find that the most valuable part of logging my run is to go back over it when I'm done and see if I can find places that I could have played it differently to save turns. I'm going to post my thoughts here; others are encouraged to chime in.

- First, I ended the run with 31 adventures left, 6 drunk, 5 fullness, 4 clovers (after using one on the skeleton key), a dance card, 7k meat, and a whopping 6 pulls (so much for my tower paranoia). They say that a perfect NASCAR race is one where the car crosses the finish line and immediately runs out of gas; well, by that analogy, I could drive half-way cross-country on the gas I've got left. I don't regret buying the canned air, since I wanted give myself as much of a margin for finishing on day 3 as possible, but I probably could have held off on using them until I needed them.

- If I'd known that my purse rat/song/carnivore/MCD settings were enough to get me 11 adds, I'd have done the adding machine right away instead of skipping over it to do the giant quest and get the giant needle (which I couldn't equip anyway). I should also have been more aggressive about using clovers to level at the end of day 2, since I had so many - that might have saved me 20 or more adventures of powerleveling in the ballroom.

- Pulling a second carnivore button instead of a second not-pipe would have helped cut down on the powerleveling too. I thought about doing this, but again, played it safe with regard to turn generation.

- Navel ring/v mask/absinthe all would have been handy.

(more coming...)
Last edited by Kelemvor on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:40 pm

Kelemvor wrote:They say that a perfect NASCAR race is one where the car crosses the finish line and immediately runs out of gas
Based on my knowledge of NASCAR, I think it depends a lot on when cautions happen and your tire strategy. And if you can make the X required pit stops without ever coming close to running out of fuel, then there's no reason to come close to running out. Not that any of this has anything to do with your run.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)