Introductions...

Post your introductions here. Now required in order to unlock the private areas of the forum. Well, as long as you're actually in the clan.

Moderator: lotsofphil

Phazic
Pie of the Sky

Re: Introductions...

Post by Phazic » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:34 pm

Greetings! I'm Phazic. I stopped by as a result of the DitP contest and became rather intrigued with the wealth of speed knowledge available.

I'm a software engineer by trade and enjoy tweaking things such as Mafia scripts and ALV. I like to focus on automation, optimization, and information gathering although I tend to suck at the presentation aspects of it (yay for CLIs).

I tried out KoL back in college but then got sucked away to WoW. I tried it out again in 2012 and discovered Mafia which allowed a lot more customization and scripting and have been playing since.

Looking forward to learning more speed tips!

gordito
Recognitions Officer of Heck

Post by gordito » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm Gordito and was invited to be a fresh face through my participation in DitP. I'm excited to be here, and I hope that, in spite of my occasional need to disappear for days at a time (full time job, PhD program 2 classes per semester, two kids, one of whom is 20 months, need to homebrew on a semi-regular basis) that I'm able to take advantage of this nice opportunity and contribute to the clan atmosphere as well.

I direct a language training center on a university campus, and I have been playing KoL since 2009. Took one long hiatus, but have been back solidly since summer 2013.

I look forward to meeting you in chat.

Gordito

fifnasta
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by fifnasta » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:40 am

Hi everyone!

I'm fifnasta and I came to be here in the aftermath of DitP. I first played KoL back in 2007, left, got my account deleted, came back in 2010 for a while, lost interest, then came back in 2014, saw all the new, exciting updates and stayed. Phew!

I'm 26, live and work in Warsaw, Poland. Out of game I'm doing a PhD in chemistry and working as an RA at the same time. If you want to know, yes, I can make meth (it's really easy) and no, I'm not going to (it's really boring). In my free time I'm learning to dance (styles which involve shaking my booty), trying to learn russian and also enjoy reading books that are not about chemistry.

Looking forward to getting to know you better (wink wink, nudge nudge)!

wends
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by wends » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:16 am

Hey guys, names wends/Jeff. Was looking for an open clan that was somewhat talkative and interested in ascension and speed ascension. I'd seen the clan around for years and I had joined a 'competing' clan HardcoreOxygination/nation. Played off and on for a few years and I came back to it being completely dead, so I went in search of a new clan and found you guys again. This clan (Alliance as a whole) seemed to be one of the only clans left focused on speed ascension so I figured it would be a good fit for me. Happy to be aboard and looking forward to competing against you all.

I guess I dropped the ball on that and forgot to include a little bit more about myself out of game. I'm 24 years old, working towards a career in programming, live in Wisconsin, and currently have two jobs, one in fast food and the other as a gas station attendant.

Aaboyx
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Aaboyx » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm Aaron/Aaboyx, I was invited for a trial run in AFHk as a fresh face in the result of the DitP contest. I just returned in Oct to KoL after a very very long break. I play pretty much all SC and my current KoL goals are pulling off a 2 day SC run and earning myself a bronze button. As of this posting my personal best is 3/593 and i've only got 24 ascensions under my belt.

On a personal level i'm 25, live in Seattle and have fallen back in love with KoL. Can't wait to learn everything I can from everyone!

smithymat
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by smithymat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:38 pm

Woo! Welcome new people! Lots and lots of new people around the place! And congratulations all of you on your DitP runs!

Lokiator
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Lokiator » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi! I'm Lokiator (Joel). I was invited to join as a Fresh Face after the Diamond in the Picky contest.

I've been playing KoL for almost 6 years now. Other than a dozen SC tattoo runs, I've exclusively played HC. I also tend to play 100% familiar runs - 101 different 100% familiar runs completed and counting! I focus on speed but with the usual added constraint of playing 100% familiar runs. On the speed front, I've managed 3-day HC runs in a number of different paths and I'm always looking to shave a few more turns. :)

I'm a fairly active PVP player (as you can see from my in-game profile). I'm also an avid Factoid hunter. I had a 100% complete Manuel up until the Tower revamp last month and I look forward to doing battle with the Tower challenge RNG in order to complete my Manuel entries once again.

Outside of KoL, I'm 44, Canadian, and an Environmental Engineer for a mining company.

Thanks for inviting me to AFH!

Storm Dragon
Pie of the Sky

Post by Storm Dragon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:33 am

Welcome, everyone :stupac:

Smelly Cat
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Smelly Cat » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:20 am

Hey, this is Smelly Cat, aka Laura, aka Whore_Moans's wife. I'm 33, got an M.S. in Library Science (not even an MLS, lol). I am not a librarian, but a mere data entry temp worker, but a good one, or at least a better one than some of the people I work with. What do I do in my down time? In the past year, I have begun taking improv classes and have done some performing in town. In addition, I had a sketch I wrote performed onstage (I also acted in it). I hope to write some more in the future. (For those wondering, I was more of a choir kid in high school, though I did some theater as well. Did a musical in college as well, along with a short-form improv group, briefly. I also did a lot of creative writing, though not any scripts until recently.)

My current avatar is of a 50 Shades cake from The Graham Norton Show. Yes, a cake (of Christian Grey--in his ripped sex jeans--apparently, when he gets out of his suit, he likes to have sex in ripped jeans, for some reason?), not a person. Was so ridiculous, I had to take a picture of it from my chair (then crop it to use as my avatar).

top1214
Oh my! Guy with Pie!

Post by top1214 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:45 am

Smelly Cat wrote: Whore_Moans' wife.
FTFY

bombar
Pie of the Sky

Post by bombar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:19 am

Hi there,

Bombar here, a bit delayed, but finally got around to asking for an invite after the great DitP contest you guys threw. Lets see a bit about me, 32 living in Orlando, FL for the past 2 years, before that lived in NYC/CT for 14 years where I got my BS in computer science then worked as a programmer for way too long. Hobbies include riding my motorcycle, board games, hanging with my nephews, and going to Disney way too much.

As far as kol goes, I have been an on/off player for many years, initally picked up the game around the time of Grey Plague whenever that was. Couldn't find that account when I came back so I created bombar. Initial goal was to specialize in HC runs, but when I came back the second time around Zombie Slayer time I loved the special challenge paths so much that I did those in both SC/HC. Took another break, but finally came back about 7 months ago near the end of S&S, enjoyed Heavy Rains, and really enjoyed my first Crimbo. Thanks to the DItP contest I put in the effort and was able to hit the leaderboard in Picky which made me quite happy. Can't wait to dive into the Ed path that just got released! My future goals include trying to get on the leaderboard again, collecting all the war medals before war revamp, and getting my pocket of loathing.

Thanks for invite!

Kalefornya
Pie of the Sky

Post by Kalefornya » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:24 pm

hi

I'm in HCN; I've been playing for about 6 years (on various accounts); my current goals are to acquire a slimeling, work on my collector score & perms, continue to farm lucre, and most importantly, get a bronze button this season (hopefully without buying CI)

it seems like a lot of people appreciated the log I posted; I imagine I will post some more in the future; I do appreciate having an active speed-oriented forum to visit.

bale
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by bale » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:08 am

Hi, I'm Bale.

I'm in HCN, but I decided to register because someone was posting a mod for one of my KoLmafia scripts and I wanted to join the conversation.

My goals are to write helpful scripts, collected many stuffed Hodgmen and get more bronze buttons or maybe even a silver moon.

DLR
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by DLR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi, I'm Disco Lord Ross, but since that's a bit of a mouthful I tend to just go by DLR. I'm a strictly hardcore ascender who is looking to improve by learning from the best. Outside of KoL I'm a 26 year old guy living in Massachusetts. I have a B.S. in Optical Engineering but am struggling with what career I actually want to pursue.

I started KoL back in 2007 because my roommate played it. I joined a small clan that had a great group of people (The Cereal Killers) and mostly just played socially. That clan started to die out around the time I decided to start focusing on speed ascending, which prompted me to join HCN, who I'd been with up until now.

I'm joining as a Fresh Face but am hoping to make a permanent move here. Over the years I've gotten less and less active in HCN and the community at large. AFH seems like it's a much more active community and I'm hoping the move will get me more involved and help me improve my runs.

My current goal is to rack up some more HC commendations (and maybe even accidentally snag a star at some point) and hit 2-day runs in as many challenge paths as possible.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I like being an open book. =)

-DLR

emc2
Pie of the Sky

Post by emc2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Hi,

I'm EMC2, but you can call me Em (and/or Ella - it's a long story - but I'll answer to both.) I'm new to the game after a brief stop-off here 4-5 years ago. Real life sucked me out, and I didn't start until recently, when I found I really had a whole new interest that runs much more deeply than my brief stay long ago.

I'm a Fresh Face/Level 1 as of a few days ago, and I just finished my tenth ascension (total). My current goals: get the basic skill-set necessary for turn generation as well as Olfaction. I also need to build a proper collection of Hardcore-relevant familiars and items. After that, I'm interested in improving my game as much as possible. I don't know if I'll be good at speed yet, but I'm very interested in the mechanics of the game and I like to do "tiny spading" with my own data. This clan's breadth and depth of knowledge is extremely attractive to me, so I'm here for a bit to see if I fit.

In real life I'm a scientist for the National Ocean Service, which is part of NOAA. My own research started (and still is somewhat) fisheries and oceanic communities, but I've been sucked into the world of tides and sea levels. What do I do? As our slogan says, "Turning operational oceanographic data into meaningful information for the Nation." In other words, math.

I pleased to be able to be around you guys while I get up and running, and when the time is right, I'm hoping to find a mentor.

Be well - E

Creelie
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Creelie » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:05 pm

And I'm back! Again.

I'm as surprised as anybody, but I keep coming back to this dumb game. :P

My work and home life continue to prevent anything even vaguely resembling speed attempts. I can't even log in every day, let alone dedicate the hours needed to attempt to play optimally. What I do want to focus on, once I've relearned the game, is "RL Speed", where I trim out all things dickstabby in order to toodle smoothly toward my various collection-related goals - mostly HC perms and tattoos/trophies. My first new rule is going to be never taking the astral pet sweater ever again, so that I never again feel obligated to click out to my terrarium and swap it from one familiar to another.

littlelolligagged
Leader of Heck

Post by littlelolligagged » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:17 am

Hi, em (and/or Ella), that sounds pretty interesting. Math is good - but that stuff is just made for GIS.

emc2
Pie of the Sky

Post by emc2 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:59 pm

littlelolligagged wrote:Hi, em (and/or Ella), that sounds pretty interesting. Math is good - but that stuff is just made for GIS.
Are you a GISP? Or are you an oceanic scientist too? Yeah. OK. I was named after two grandmothers and hyphenated. It's not a good thing to do to a small child ;)

My parents use the long-form Emma Ella - which is SO cruel, my siblings call me Ella, and everyone I really like calls me Em, but I'm famous for signing my stuff in a variety of ways, so I thought I'd get the confusion up front before I do it later. :D Thanks for the welcome & the funny clan chat!

Derrikan
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Derrikan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Greetings,

I've recently returned to KOL after a 4 year absence. After spending a couple of weeks getting reacclimated to all the game changes and getting some of the needed ITOM for low level speed play I'm grinding through the end of the ED path with all my being. I was directed here via several chat persons I trust as a good place to get feedback on annotated runs.

So here I am. Thanks in advance for maybe not hitting me in the head repeatedly with rocks!

Derrikan

Catdrake
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Catdrake » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Well, hello, I guess.

I'm Catdrake, and i'm a 25 year old chemical engineering student from good ol' AZ, and in my spare time, i write novels, work on game design, and plot the downfall of civilization. I'm getting back into playing regularly after a long hiatus, and it's been great getting to work with the lovely people from the AfH, and I look forward to continuing to do so.

emc2
Pie of the Sky

Post by emc2 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:12 pm

Welcome, Derrikan & Catdrake!

It's nice to see new people here. I am also very new to the clan and the game after a brief stop here years ago.

It's a great clan for fun as well as tons of wisdom that just drips all over in chat.

See you both soon - Em

Seain
Pie of the Sky

Post by Seain » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:40 am

Hello everyone.

My name is Paul, I'm 35 and I'm a 911 dispatcher in a small county in Missouri, which is both more boring and more exciting than it sounds. I've been playing KoL off and on since 2007 and have always been interested in having faster runs, so I'm hoping to absorb knowledge from chat and continue to pester Yojimbos_Law through pms to keep getting faster.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

aberrytion
Pie of the Sky

Post by aberrytion » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Hello, I'm aberrytion from Singapore

dropthesteak
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by dropthesteak » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Hey everybody, my name is Dave and I live in the great state of New Jersey, home of endless suburbs and Taylor ham. I am a control systems engineer by trade. This is the unholy union of IT/EE/ChemE.

Part of what attracted me to KoL is the endless series of tradeoffs between limited resources. This community is pretty impressive in how well they've figured out how to leverage all those resources, and I'm excited to hopefully get to add to that tradition!

Feel free to drop me a line whenever you want to chat about anything!
-dropthesteak

tuqui1glitch
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by tuqui1glitch » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi, I am tuqui1glitch and was first introduced to KoL by friends in another game (Glitch).

When that game closed at the end of 2012, a number of glitchen migrated to KoL - I was part of that migration. I play mainly SC, but I am currently attempting HC CS runs. I love the writing in KoL and the complexity of the game - as well as the ability to play it in so many different ways. I am happy to be in a clan with such an active chat and an interest in improving game play.

IRL I am a teacher (science and math) living in the south (US).

screama
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by screama » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi all, I am screama. Playing since early '07 but stopped for some years. Began again early this year, almost a completely new game.

reimero
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by reimero » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:54 am

Hi everyone, I'm reimero. I've been playing this game a very (very, very) long time, but never really got around to figuring out how to do runs optimally. I do know my way around a clan dungeon, though, having been involved in several leaderboard runs. Aside from that, yeah, I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

darkcodelagsniper
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by darkcodelagsniper » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:50 am

Hello I am darkcodelagsniper, I like candlelit dinners and long walks on the beach.

I chose this name in 2008 because I thought it was a funny pastiche of macho FPS gamer names, but I forgot to account for poe's law.

JerichoShade
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by JerichoShade » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:33 pm

Hello all,

I'm JerichoShade, a 33 year old data analyst from Dublin, Ireland. I stumbled onto this game sometime in July last year and got hooked.

I'm always looking to improve at what I do and, as I kept on digging bits and bits of useful information about the game, I noticed that the vast majority of them were shared by people in the Alliance. Therefore, here I am, looking to better myself - and if I can help anyone else in turn, I'm happy.

Cheers!

Mai
oh hai

Post by Mai » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:45 am

Welcome, darkcodelagsniper (what nickname do you prefer?) and JerichoShade! Glad to have you aboard!

darkcodelagsniper
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by darkcodelagsniper » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Mai wrote:Welcome, darkcodelagsniper (what nickname do you prefer?)
Mr. Darkcodelagsniper

(or dcls works too)

KingBobson
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by KingBobson » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:18 pm

Hey, I'm KingBobson. Slaw has been encouraging me to join for a bit, so sure why not.

I do a lot of casuals and find a lot of bugs.

BBt
Pie of the Sky

Post by BBt » Mon May 02, 2016 9:21 pm

This is Boesbert. I registered this account a while ago, but only now decided to join the clan for good. I am interested in speedy things, becoming speedier, and such things. I like to learn.

redfoxtail
Bounty Officer of Heck

Post by redfoxtail » Tue May 03, 2016 10:48 am

Welcome, Boesbert, and belated welcome to KingBobson!

Mattematical
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Mattematical » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:38 am

Hi all, Mattematical here! I, like Boesbert the Wise, am interested in all things speedy and the knowledge of such speedy things. I am also interested in scripting, messing around with stuff, and I tend to be generous in /games when the mood suits me.

I turn 30 in July, and have been working in LA since finishing my PhD in Optical Sciences in Aug 2014.

theblackcat
Pie of the Sky

Post by theblackcat » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Greetings, AfH (and associated clan members/nonmembers)!

I'm TheBlackCat, a returning player after some time away from KoL. IRL I'm a social entrepreneur with an economics degree, but that's really a cover for my more dastardly identity - gaming and spreadsheet addict.

It's since been a month since I've returned to playing KoL on a daily basis. Honestly, I've been overwhelmed at how much the game has developed over the past half a decade. I used to be primarily a softcore ascender back in 2011, and the prime of my speed game would have been the three runs during the DiTR4 contest. Lately, my speed ascension urges have been kicking in, and so I decided to aim for the barrier that I didn't manage to break - 2 day SCNP. After breaking that barrier (which might actually be pretty soon, given the revamps and new iotms), I'm hoping to jump into HCNP ascensions.

An Old Log: DITR4 viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4718&p=67782&hilit=theblackcat

Belly16
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Belly16 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:02 pm

Hey guys!

Another returning player here. I'm 31, and Australian. So i'll be the guy in chat while you're all asleep.

I stopped playing around 2-3 years ago, having been quite active for a while. My previous clan, Black Mesa had fallen into inactivity while I was gone.

I used to be pretty good at speed ascensions, having picked up a few commendations and hit the leaderboards well. I've spent the past month spending all my old meat, learning the changes and making some ascensions happen. Looking to have a crack at a 2 day HCS run in the coming days.

gordito
Recognitions Officer of Heck

Post by gordito » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Belly16 wrote:Hey guys!

Another returning player here. I'm 31, and Australian. So i'll be the guy in chat while you're all asleep.

I stopped playing around 2-3 years ago, having been quite active for a while. My previous clan, Black Mesa had fallen into inactivity while I was gone.

I used to be pretty good at speed ascensions, having picked up a few commendations and hit the leaderboards well. I've spent the past month spending all my old meat, learning the changes and making some ascensions happen. Looking to have a crack at a 2 day HCS run in the coming days.
Welcome, and good luck!

ChoppersB
Pie of the Sky

Post by ChoppersB » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi all!

Yet another returning player. It's been a while since I have played regularly in ~2010-11, but I've been trying to get back into the swing of things. There so many changes and new things that it's overwhelming. The standard path thing stings a bit in the investments I made back then... seems the old iotms don't move too quick. Last thing I remember working towards was Olfaction which I finished, but burnt out in the Lucre grind.

Aside from the hit to the wallet with stadnard, the changes seem pretty cool. The idea of limiting items from the previous year or so was starting to get thrown around back then to help new players be able to stay competitive. I think I remember talk of a 'Batman' path...that idea must have blossomed into what we have. I'm super excited to get my Ed on!

I think you'll see me around. I was surprised to find myself still in AFHk, just with visitor rank. As soon as I feel like I have a handle on how things have changed and started to learn how to benefit from all the new toys I'll see if I can get my old rank back and get into the speed game.

honus carbuncle
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by honus carbuncle » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi, my name is Honus Carbuncle.

I am here because somehow I got a whitelist and no one has taken it away from me, which I suspect is some manner of clerical error. Here are a few facts about me and one made up lie:

I am 36 years old
I am a distribution center manager/inventory control manager
I have Bruce Campbell's autograph
I was an extra in a low budget horror film
I watch entirely too many weird movies on netflix
I have tentacles in place of arms
I like baseball
I have the cutest dog on the planet - http://imgur.com/q4YDhGw

capn castom
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by capn castom » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi Alliance from Heck!
Im capn (or Casey in person), and Im thankful to be here.
Im 36 at the moment, from the Pacific NW in the US originally, but have lived in Brooklyn for the past 13 years now. I enjoy making and listening to noisy guitar music, I work in the art industry which has ruined art for me, and enjoy biennial trips through Japan with my lady whose from those parts.

Gamewise, Im :
currently trying to become competent at the current NA path,
I enjoy HC runs over SC runs,
Would love to learn how to be as fast and efficient as possible,
I only started about 2.5 years ago, so Im in far to late to be a completionist, but I hope to turn as many of those snapshot squares green as I can.

And at some point I hope to start tweaking some Mafia scripts a bit myself, but that will prob have to wait till i start playing on a windows laptop instead of this macbook air, because i honestly cannot even find where the scripts live on this damn thing.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:01 pm

capn castom wrote:And at some point I hope to start tweaking some Mafia scripts a bit myself, but that will prob have to wait till i start playing on a windows laptop instead of this macbook air, because i honestly cannot even find where the scripts live on this damn thing.
Mafia's files are in ~/Library/Application Support/KoLmafia. I think Finder makes it a pain to navigate there in newer versions of the OS (I stopped using my Macbook in 2010 or so), but I saved the folder as a favorite location.
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

capn castom
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by capn castom » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:50 am

lostcalpolydude wrote:
capn castom wrote:And at some point I hope to start tweaking some Mafia scripts a bit myself, but that will prob have to wait till i start playing on a windows laptop instead of this macbook air, because i honestly cannot even find where the scripts live on this damn thing.
Mafia's files are in ~/Library/Application Support/KoLmafia. I think Finder makes it a pain to navigate there in newer versions of the OS (I stopped using my Macbook in 2010 or so), but I saved the folder as a favorite location.
yeah, its real bizarre, I can see them all in Mafia (via the "Load Script" option) and if I navigate up the directory tree, that is indeed where they should be. But if I check the same place in Finder : no KoLmafia folder.

lostcalpolydude
Forum Maestro

Post by lostcalpolydude » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:52 pm

capn castom wrote:
lostcalpolydude wrote:
yeah, its real bizarre, I can see them all in Mafia (via the "Load Script" option) and if I navigate up the directory tree, that is indeed where they should be. But if I check the same place in Finder : no KoLmafia folder.
You might be looking in Library instead of Users/(username)/Library maybe?
bmaher: Softcore character
lostcalpolydude: Hardcore character (abandoned)

capn castom
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by capn castom » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:26 pm

thanks lost, for walking me through finding them via the terminal !

Penitence
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Penitence » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi, my name is Pen (at least in KoL).

I managed to snag a whitelist somehow and no one has noticed me yet, so I'm trying to sneak into the forums now. I am a 20 year old college student in Illinois who likes math/physics and will probably end up majoring in Applied Math (attempting to follow the footsteps of Slaw). I watch a lot of Netflix, eat a lot of food, and am trying my best to learn KoL. I only starting playing 3 months ago, so I still have a lot to learn and am hoping AFHk can help with that!

Poodle Noodles
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Poodle Noodles » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:31 am

Hi! I'm Poodle Noodles. Although I'm new to the game, I like to think I'm knowledgable, and definitely fairly dedicated. I just got in to AFHk, and aspire to do competitive ascension and hardcore pvp! The goal is to have a bronze button and a decent hill time by the end of 2018. I'm super into Pure Math, and live in Los Angeles.

the dictator
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by the dictator » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:02 pm

Hey all,
I'm The Dictator and I got myself a whitelist after I started a somewhat more thorough search for an active clan. I'm 23 year old student currently working on my BSc Applied Mathematics (yeah, another one), at the University of Twente, in Enschede, The Netherlands. Since I started playing KoL (now almost a year ago), I'm spending my time between this game, study, playing kol, the university (board) game club, Kingdom of Loathing, some League of Legends and more KoL.

juntao
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by juntao » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:48 am

Hi All,

I'm Juntao, I've been around for a while, just afk for a year or so. I've done a lot of ascensions and plan to get back to working on some speed runs very soon. I live in Colorado, work in IT. Was looking for an active guild and people to share ideas with. Hope to see you all in chat, thanks for the WL.

Thanks,
JT

somersaulter
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by somersaulter » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Yay, Jick!

I'm Somersaulter, and I'm here after asking for a whitelist (and got it! thanks!). I've been in Hardcore Nation for the last few years, and was mostly curious about the clan chat here. I remember doing Diamond in the Picky a long time ago, but here I am again! I've posted some ascension logs in the past* since here seemed like a good place for that. Fresh-ish out of college, currently working and volunteering, and hoping to go into the medical field in the future.

In KoL, I like to spam in chat, vandalize the wiki (although these days it's mostly my userpage), fiddle around in scripts, and think about the implications of some of the game's writing and interactions.

illarion
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by illarion » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:19 am

Hi all

After a 2.5 year hiatus (not coincidentally, this is the age of my daughter ;) ), I'm easing back into KoL. I was sad to see that "my" (HardcoreOxygenation) forums no longer exist (I'm grimly repressing the loss of all my posts, run logs and so on), and I'm looking for a new place to talk about the game (mostly about HC speed, and right now, particularly about IotMs I've missed and need to pick up).

I have actually had an account on here for some years - there's a run log of my DitRII entry here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3226&p=44056&hilit=illarion#p44056 - but I'm hoping to be a bit more active and involved.

I have to be honest - RL responsibilities/lack of time mean I'm never going to be as active or dedicated as I was back in the day - but I do hope to crank out a respectable run now and then. My KoL goals are:

3 day HC unrestricted (I have done one of these, before unrestricted was a thing, but the landscape is very different now)
3 day HC Standard
2 day HC unrestricted
2 day HC Standard (this may be out of reach with my current shinies?)

In RL, I'm an IT Manager/freelance developer. Hobbies include snowboarding, coding, gaming (video and board), drumming and homebrewing. I have time for none of these :/

I've missed KoL - I hadn't realised just how much, before Crimbo lured me back - and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all :)

boozedup
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by boozedup » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:00 am

I'm Matthew. I'm a PhD student in Computer Science in real life. I like to cook, run, eat, and play Super Smash Bros. My favorite food is jambalaya, and I play yoshi in Smash 64, but I like the other games too! As far as KoL goes, I am looking to have fun, and the way that's manifesting itself at the moment is hardcore ascensions. I also enjoy dungeons, but for now, I think most of my time will be spent ascending (either in Boris, Standard, or the current challenge path), farming my last 40 lucre, and doing the sea.

I'd like to work my way down to a HC 3 day ascension at some point.

Looking forward to interacting with all of y'all.

Tallim
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Tallim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi, I'm Tallim. Had a massive break from the game for (5 years at least) but now I'm back and really getting into it to make up for lost time.

Mostly working towards getting HC Standard speed decent.

Real life is mostly spent gaming, writing and some slapdash attempts at coding. My sleep pattern is really messed up so I'm potentially around at all times of the day. Looking forward to getting to know the people here and extracting some speed running knowledge!

embeddedtower
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by embeddedtower » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Hey nerds, I'm embeddedtower. I've been back for about a year after a long hiatus. I really enjoy trying to hit standard leaderboards and screwing around with all my super-old IOTMs in out-of-standard dietary paths, but my first love is spamming clan chat with mistyped chat commands. I look forward to seeing you all around.

whitecandy
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by whitecandy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 am

Hi

I am white candy and i'm 33. Been playing on and off since 2006. Cant even remember what my first account was as it was deleted. Picked the name WC as it was a reference to in-game white candy hearts, which people have helped me over the years amassing the largest collection of them (i think still currently). Been in a few clans since i've been playing, was in SPNG's at the start and other smaller clans which were active when i was playing all those years ago.

Joined this clan to learn more about speed in the game. Just leader-boarded for the first time in the gelnoob challenge path.

A little about me - I'm from the small island of Jersey, which is in between France and England. I currently work in compliance and enjoy what i do. I studied film at university in London. I used to play GameBattles's for Call of Duty (i wasn't that great but i enjoyed the team effort and practice). I enjoy reading, anything IT or computer based, films, music etc

I like this game as it lets you play at your own pace, and you can play however you want, be it spade, heart, diamond or club. Think I've been all four at some point.

Anyway, hope i can learn a lot from you guys and girls and look forward to talking to you.

Infested_Jerk
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Infested_Jerk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:33 am

Hello, I am he-who-regrets-decisions-past-me-made-at-the-age-of-12 to 15, otherwise known as Infested_Jerk (#1042900),

I'm 26 years old, working as a sysadmin for a startup just outside Boston. I've been playing KOL since I was 15, part of the reason I'm stuck with this particular username. My interests include science, reading fantasy novels, video gaming, clubbing infernal seals, tabletop roleplaying, boardgames, and going on long hiatuses from KoL upon reaching the level 9 quest.

As far as KoL goes I'm a habitual HC player. My accomplishments to date include:
  • A single telescope coupon
    2 pieces of the violent vestments
    1 Piece of the hateful set (seriously, I don't remember getting the chefstaff, but here it is in my inventory)
    Did not drop Kittycore for Crimbo '08 (And was successful at unlocking BM permanently, even if forgetting to use clovers is something I need to stop doing)
    Complete Unblemished Uniform
    Encountered my first Ultra-rare (Baoiwulf) about 2 weeks ago
    I currently have the 7th largest collection of Mountain Stream Soda in the Kingdom
    My fastest run ever was a 7-day HC Zombie Slayer 100%NPZR run.
    19 Hobo Codes in my Binder
I'm really looking forward to participating in an active clan again, maybe rounding out some of my clan dungeon gear, improving my speed, and meeting all of you in chat.

Potzee
Just Plain Old Pie

Post by Potzee » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Hello AFH,

I am a long standing member of the SCO. I started out in kol with the intention of restricting the amount of time I spent playing mmo style games. I began playing kol in 2006. I have recently returned to the game after a semi-long break of off and on playing.

The reason I am reaching out to the AFH family is to pursue a deeper understanding of the BM path. Specifically as a SC class. I would like to learn and speed up my runs.

Louisiana is my home state and I am 43 years old and a guy.

My current goal in kol is to achieve back to back BM SC runs within a 30 day or less window. My next goal will be to squeeze three BM SC runs into the same month or 30 day window.

Thanks and nice to meet everyone.

Potz

Turtle Juice
Inscrutable Pi

Post by Turtle Juice » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:57 am

Hi guys and gals,
I'm Turtle Juice ... former softcore student (and by my own admission in this feed "softcore to the core" -- which turned out not to be true).

I just found my intro post to this forum in December of 2009. I took a fairly long break and am back, collecting IOTMs and trying to figure out the best style of runs for me.

See you in chat!

Tj